Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaza77 View Post
Ahull,

I don't know why, or if it should be worthy. I just started asking questions doing my research looking for answers to my no start problem.

I've had a lot of good help, however my issue seems to be stumping the group, including myself, so I get some help in areas, but nothing has been definitive in diagnosing and solving my problem.

I did start the tread or sticky. I apologize if I've disorganized or messed up the form some how.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I couldn't have come this far without all of your help.

Now, on to check the engine ground.

Cheers,
William

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
No worries, William. I think only admins can make sticky threads so my question was really for them. You're getting good help.... good chance you'll get it sorted here.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 11-09-2013, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaza77 View Post
Update:

I checked all the grounds yesterday with except to the engine ground. I need to do that today because I need to get under the car and remove the protection plate.
For the future you can check the integrity of the engine ground strap from the top of the engine by measuring the resistance from the engine block anywhere to any bolt that makes good electrical contact with the chassis.
Naturally this reading should be close to zero ohms.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
I was able to access the starter from under car. As shown on attached picture, remove control arm bushing and swing it down to take out the starter. I used an extremely long 3/8 extension to reach the bolt. Perhaps later I will have the time to do a diy write up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lert1505b.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	407011  
Old 11-24-2013, 01:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330ci
Re: Starter Replacement DIY

Forgive me for i am just a poor girl who knows not very much about about cars. Im pretty sure my problem pertains to this thread. First off ive pretty much ruled out the bettery. On cold mornings i have a hard time getting her started. (2001 330ci) the engine turns over fine, not slow anything but wont start. Called my dad, he said to prime the fuel pump a few times before starting, and sure enough it starts up fine. She doesnt run rough at all, no check engine light, nothing. Now, on really cold mornings, below freezing, the same thing happens, except that after priming the fuel pump about 3 times, the engine starrs, sputters and dies. She will do that about three times before she starts and stays started. Then she purrs like a kitten. My dad thinks it could be moisture in the lines or fuel filter? He's unsure, and not a bimmer guy. I use top shelf, premium gas, and never let her go below a quarter tank. Only other thing is she's due for an oil change. Thanks for any feedback :o

Sent from my VS920 4G using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-24-2013, 03:28 AM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Hey Robin, your problem is def not a starter. No big deal but to stay on topic, why dont you copy what you typed into a new thread and I and others will respond there?
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 11-24-2013, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonam1984 View Post
Forgive me for i am just a poor girl who knows not very much about about cars. Im pretty sure my problem pertains to this thread. First off ive pretty much ruled out the bettery. On cold mornings i have a hard time getting her started. (2001 330ci) the engine turns over fine, not slow anything but wont start. Called my dad, he said to prime the fuel pump a few times before starting, and sure enough it starts up fine. She doesnt run rough at all, no check engine light, nothing. Now, on really cold mornings, below freezing, the same thing happens, except that after priming the fuel pump about 3 times, the engine starrs, sputters and dies. She will do that about three times before she starts and stays started. Then she purrs like a kitten. My dad thinks it could be moisture in the lines or fuel filter? He's unsure, and not a bimmer guy. I use top shelf, premium gas, and never let her go below a quarter tank. Only other thing is she's due for an oil change. Thanks for any feedback :o

How many miles? With symptoms like that (and no other details) I'd start with a fuel filter and pump. If you have more than 100k miles, I'd chalk this up to E46 maintenance.

Also a possibility is leaking injectors, depressurizing the rail overnight. But those are more the exception and not the rule. I'd start with the filter and pump.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:31 AM

Theres almost 88k miles

Old 11-24-2013, 01:05 PM

robinsonam1984,

Per your description of your no start issue it is weather related. What testing have you done that led you to eliminate the battery? Have you tried boosting or jump starting and the car will not start?
Old 11-24-2013, 04:52 PM

The battery was new in march, or so the guy at the dealerahip said, ive cleaned all the connections, as i had problems early on with the cables being corroded.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonam1984 View Post
The battery was new in march, or so the guy at the dealerahip said, ive cleaned all the connections, as i had problems early on with the cables being corroded.

I would not exclude the condition of the battery by what the dealership told you. You need to have the battery tested. At minimum, have a multimeter and get a voltage reading off the battery.

Another possibility is you may have a grounding issue with the cables.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:16 PM

The voltage was tested and is fine. I guess ill check out the grounding next. Thanks

Old 11-25-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post

Also a possibility is leaking injectors, depressurizing the rail overnight. But those are more the exception and not the rule. I'd start with the filter and pump.
Leaking injectors will have the strong smell of gas after it starts. And priming the pump three times would not be a cure for this defect.

Agree with the pump and filter.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:50 PM

Cold weather relay switch behind the glove box. Easy fix, cheapest bmw part ever

Old 02-03-2014, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 325 CI
Slow, intermittent or no starting

I had the same problem, changed out battery and starter same problem. Turns out there is a switch in the steering that was going bad. The switch connects to the key cylinder and allows voltage to run the starter. I took it off and replaced it, no issues after. BTW I took the switch apart and found corrosion on the contact points which leads me to believe were the cause of the intermittent starting problems. since i changed it out I have not had any problems, hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvel0124 View Post
Turns out there is a switch in the steering that was going bad. The switch connects to the key cylinder and allows voltage to run the starter. I took it off and replaced it, no issues after.
Great reminder to mention that. Not uncommon.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvel0124 View Post
I had the same problem, changed out battery and starter same problem. Turns out there is a switch in the steering that was going bad. The switch connects to the key cylinder and allows voltage to run the starter. I took it off and replaced it, no issues after. BTW I took the switch apart and found corrosion on the contact points which leads me to believe were the cause of the intermittent starting problems. since i changed it out I have not had any problems, hope this helps.
marvel0124, can you expand or perhaps do a step-by-step fix of the switch?
Old 02-04-2014, 10:11 PM

How do you know it's your switch?