Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-22-2013, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Stiff brakes

I bought a 2009 335i a year ago and recently started to have a very stiff brake on start up after the car sits (ie, in mornings or evenings after work). It would only depress very slightly. See this video (apologies for the shaking...):

This isn't normal, right? I've taken the car into the dealership twice and they said they couldn't replicate this problem. It now happens 95% of the time so I'm not sure how this didn't happen for them.

I searched the forum and there was a lengthy discussion back a few years and there was a SIB in Nov 2007 that describes the exact problem. They've done a smoke test on the brake booster and didn't find any leaks. Any ideas?

Really appreciate the help!

Last edited by kaydee; 09-22-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
I bought a 2009 335i a year ago and recently started to have a very stiff brake on start up after the car sits (ie, in mornings or evenings after work). It would only depress very slightly. See this video (apologies for the shaking...):

This isn't normal, right? I've taken the car into the dealership twice and they said they couldn't replicate this problem. It now happens 95% of the time so I'm not sure how this didn't happen for them.

I searched the forum and there was a lengthy discussion back a few years and there was a SIB in Nov 2007 that describes the exact problem. They've done a smoke test on the brake booster and didn't find any leaks. Any ideas?

Really appreciate the help!
There was a more recent thread. Try searching again. Cliff-Notes version is that if the pedal is not stiff when the engine is running, you are okay. No obvious leaks from the smoke test is another indicator that things aren't needing repair. You have some vacuum seepage that is occurring, but the engine replenishes it once it is running.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
I bought a 2009 335i a year ago and recently started to have a very stiff brake on start up after the car sits (ie, in mornings or evenings after work). It would only depress very slightly. See this video (apologies for the shaking...)

One good idea

You see? That site captures input from everywhere....
Old 09-22-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
One good idea

You see? That site captures input from everywhere....
NSA doesn't need to vacuum up Internet activity - Google already does it..... More like NSA was just envious that Google had something that it didn't.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Facepalm. Google search fail.

Missed the newest E90 post. I still have some time left on my warranty so I'll try a new dealership to see if they can correct the vacuum leak. It's just an annoyance and there would be "off" days when the brakes are fine.

Appreciate the replies.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
NSA doesn't need to vacuum up Internet activity - Google already does it..... More like NSA was just envious that Google had something that it didn't.

My opinion: Google is a NSA contractor.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
My opinion: Google is a NSA contractor.
Doubtful about the contractor part. But you can be certain they are a supplier.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
Doubtful about the contractor part. But you can be certain they are a supplier.

Iceberg Tip

Old 09-23-2013, 05:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
most likely the check valve and grommet that goes into the brake booster needs replacing, the usual culprit for that problem
Old 09-23-2013, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
This is a known problem and there was a TSB released for this issue.

It can be one of 2 problems.

1) The check valve by the brake booster is loosing vacuum when the engine is off. The valve is cheap, like $20 if I recall correctly. Replacing it is a kinda of a pain but doable.

2) You booster is failing.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |