Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-24-2013, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Unhappy 2013 BMW X3 / Drivetrain Malfunction / twice

Hello, I'm brand new to this forum. Looking for folks owning 2013 BMW X3's. Have joined this forum because our brand new 2013 brand spanking new BMW X3 has puked not once, but twice. Yep, you read that correctly. This can't be a coincidence. The first time the 2013 BMW X3 suffered from "drivetrain malfunction", died totally on the Interstate during rush hour traffic. After weeks of it being in the BMW Service Center, the issue was resolved to our satisfaction. Today, the "issue that was resolved to our satisfaction" flashed the identical warning "drivetrain malfunction". We are not new to BMW ownership. Have owned 6 BMW's throughout the years; however, the X3 is a huge disappointment. BMW Assist graciously arranged for towing back to the Service Center and now I'm waiting at home for the BMW Dealer to bring me a loaner while we begin this long process of diagnosing a major problem. Not a happy camper with the 2013 BMW X3 driving experience. By the way, our local BMW dealer is fantastic and extremely service-oriented. This issue is not with our dealer, but rather some unknown problem with the 2013 BMW X3.

Last edited by Indy Driver; 10-24-2013 at 11:42 AM. Reason: wanted to edit for no particular reason
Ads by Google
Old 10-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
I hear your pain. I never saw that problem on this forum and so I searched.

Yours appears to be the first report on this website of a "drivetrain malfunction" error on a F25.

There are several posts for F01, F10/11, F30. I have not dug jnto them, but you may want to look at those and see what the common factors are.

What engine do you have?

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 10-24-2013, 12:06 PM

Found a post by 'vzx' on this forum from 10-9-13. He described the exact issue we've had not once, but twice. He's driving a 2014 X3. Hey, I've no idea of the engine size, etc. I'm a woman who drives whatever my husband buys. Fortunate for me this morning, he was driving the X3 when it puked. Read between the lines when I stated the original/first time issue with 'drive malfunction' was "resolved to our satisfaction". Well, it's happened again.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
If it is brand new why not apply the lemon law if it has been in the shop for at least 30 days total (or 3 visits to the dealer). Google "BMW Drivetrain Malfunction" and you'll see a lot more posts on this.

Last edited by Want the Thrill; 10-24-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:46 PM

In answer...

Try two lemons in a row. Two separate but identical lemons in one calendar year...
Old 10-24-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Driver View Post
Try two lemons in a row. Two separate but identical lemons in one calendar year...
So you already lemoned your first X3 for this same problem and now this is your second X3 with the same problem?
Old 10-24-2013, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: x3 35i
2013 BMW X3 / Drivetrain Malfunction / twice

If it's the same big problem. Can u ask the dealer to give you back your $$.
Minus some usage fees

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-24-2013, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: X3 M-sport
I have an F25 35i engine fully loaded (including M-sport) except for the premium sound. Fortunately my car has not had any problems since it has been back but I've only added about 1K miles to it since the service.

Good luck with your car and let me know what they found.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
So you already lemoned your first X3 for this same problem and now this is your second X3 with the same problem?
Yes. This is the 2nd X3 in one calendar year. Thinking back, I may have signed some paperwork (non disclosure stuff) when the 1st X3 was reclaimed by BMW, supposedly sent to New Jersey for 'diagnostic purposes', and replaced with a brand new special ordered X3 which behaved nicely for 7 months. All I can say is the local BMW dealer behaved like a BMW dealer should behave. They got the 1st X3 replaced for no $$ out of my pocket. Now, the 2nd X3 is behaving in the same manner. I actually feel embarrassed for the salesperson who happens to be a long-time friend. It's certainly not his fault. And, it's not the dealer's fault either. They've behaved like gentlemen throughout this misadventure. In fact, the loaner BMW, a 2013 5-series worth twice the cost of my X3, is now sitting in my garage and was personally delivered today by the Head of the Sales Dept. The BMW locals have been super supportive, but at the same time, they're kinda in a bad spot.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:45 AM

Kudos to the dealer for taking care of the customer! Sorry about the rotten luck with two lemon X3's At this point, I'd start looking at another brand if you can get this one lemoned. Keep us posted!
Old 11-05-2013, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: X3
I have a 2013 X3 and had this same error message come up. I was told one of my fuel injectors was bad. That was replaced, but the engine was still running rough. Upon a compression test, the engine was fine, but BMW engineers deemed that my DME needs to be replaced. I read online that the DME can control how an engine runs. I have been out of my car for a total of 2 weeks for the total amount of diagnosis & replacement. I sure hope this fixes it! I drive ALOT--I already have 30,000 miles on my car.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:23 PM

Faulty O2 sensor

As I mentioned in my post above, I had the drivertrain malfunction at approx 8K miles and was fixed under warranty stating that it was an intake solenoid valve that was faulty. After getting the car back, It drove ok for a while but there were times when I just felt it was not driving smoothly. My mileage started taking a hit and acceleration was not right.

Previously, I used to get 33-34 on highway and 25-27 in the city (on a 35i engine).
Now I'm getting 24-25 in city and 28-29 on highway.

I now have 10K miles on the car and went in for an out-of-pocket oil change today. I spoke with the service advisor about my concerns (low mileage and some loss in acceleration). I pointed out towards this post and asked him to check the DME and engine compression.

Got a call a few minutes ago that the oil change was done but they found a faulty post-converter O2 sensor. My advisor told me that on diagnostics, they found that it would work sometimes and sometimes it would not. They are going to replace it (part not in stock) in 2 days.

I'm not buying this. I've had bad bank 2 sensors before (in a toyota) and never had problems with mileage. AFAIK, bank 2 sensors are more for environmental control since they are post-converter. In addition, it's too early for the sensor to be faulty in a brand new car.

If the sensor was really faulty, why did I not get a check engine light? Too many questions. I'll keep you guys posted once I get the car back in 2 days (stuck with a 28i, non-sport, non-DHP car without heated steering in the meantime)

I would love to hear any insights if anyone has any.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:16 PM

Got the car back today and wow! What a difference a new oxygen sensor makes. I'm getting 27 mpg in the city again and the acceleration is smooth as butter.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully no more dealer trips until scheduled maintenance.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
27 mpg in the city is huge! The best I have seen from my '14 35i is 27 on the highway! That's when I shift manually and keep it higher gears as much as possible.

Glad your car is working well again!

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 11-29-2013, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 3 series soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by vzx View Post
Got the car back today and wow! What a difference a new oxygen sensor makes. I'm getting 27 mpg in the city again and the acceleration is smooth as butter.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully no more dealer trips until scheduled maintenance.

Just suffered the same problem with my 2013 328ix.

Identical scenario with a Volvo S60 years ago-at that time dealer diagnosed a faulty
O2 intake sensor and replaced it.

I suspect it is dame deal with my Beemer. Basically I am going to strongly suggest my dealer replace these sensor ($100 part?). Unless of course, he comes up with another problem. Intermittent problems are a bitch!
Old 11-29-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverman View Post
27 mpg in the city is huge! The best I have seen from my '14 35i is 27 on the highway! That's when I shift manually and keep it higher gears as much as possible.

Glad your car is working well again!
No idea why it's so low for you. Now that we have the winter fuel blend, I do expect mileage to go slightly low.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
Quote:
No idea why it's so low for you. Now that we have the winter fuel blend, I do expect mileage to go slightly low.
I think the real question is why you are getting ~25% better mileage than the official rating. What's you secret?
Old 12-03-2013, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 3.5i
Quote:

I am really surprised (pleasantly though) how you manage to get 27 in city. I drive like grandma and I can not get more than 22. Of course in suburban driving I coud manage 29+ but again with very sublime pedal handling - is your driving suburban than a typica city. Even x1 would not get that mileage. Please enlighten us all with your secret. Thanks
Old 12-03-2013, 11:47 AM

I dropped my 2013 328ix off at the dealer yesterday.
I got gremelind!
All intermittent problems too:

1----power passenger seat won't move forward/backward
2----was accelerating a few days ago and got loss of power with the Engine/Drivetrain malfunction message. Stopped restarted problem went away.
3----dash indicator light for headlight sometimes not lit
4----start stop eco feature works some times sometimes not. Service rep skeptical--I told him I tested this in a parking lot.

Service rep told me maybe some answers today(this afternoon)--still waiting for the call. Can't wait!
Old 12-03-2013, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius99 View Post
I think the real question is why you are getting ~25% better mileage than the official rating. What's you secret?
+1 I drove a 2013 X3 for a year and averaged 20.5 around town and never better than 25.1 on the highway. My dad, who is now driving it, hasn't been able to get much better than 20 or 21 mpg in town, either. Please share your secret!
2014 320i xDrive Liquid Blue
2014 335i xDrive GT Alpine White
Old 12-09-2013, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterx5 View Post
I am really surprised (pleasantly though) how you manage to get 27 in city. I drive like grandma and I can not get more than 22. Of course in suburban driving I coud manage 29+ but again with very sublime pedal handling - is your driving suburban than a typica city. Even x1 would not get that mileage. Please enlighten us all with your secret. Thanks
Dont want to hijack the thread on a different topic. You are right, I drive a 50-50 combination of city-highways and city roads. Mostly for commute to work (60 miles roundtrip daily). When I'm stuck in downtown traffic, I get close to 20 (sometimes even lower) but I make up for it on my way towards the burbs.

So my typical mileage is as follows (on eco-pro):
Downtown roads - 20-22.
Suburban roads - 27
City highway/state highway (with commuter traffic) - 29
Interstates on long drives (100+ miles) - 34-35.

Overall mileage after 11K miles is 27.2 (closer to suburban range because most my driving is in the burbs).

This is only on eco-pro mode. Shell 93 gas.

And I just realized that all these miles were on under-inflated tires 29 front / 31 rear. Goodyear LS2 all-seasons. I'm going to fill nitrogen today and fill up to 32 front/35 rear. Lets see if this has any impact on the mileage.

Let's start a new thread if you want to discuss about mileage. Let's focus on people having drivetrain malfunction on this thread.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
Well we can add another report. I picked up a 2013 X3 two weeks ago and put less than 500 miles on and I received the Drivetrain Malfunction warning this morning. The dealer is hoping that it's weather related as it's -18 below zero (-45 with windchill) today in Chicago. I guess we will see!
Old 01-06-2014, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
I'm going to fill nitrogen today and fill up to 32 front/35 rear. Lets see if this has any impact on the mileage.
Oh jesus, not again. You just lost any and all credibility. Maybe you should put helium in your tires and see if THAT affects your mileage.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostileharry View Post
Well we can add another report. I picked up a 2013 X3 two weeks ago and put less than 500 miles on and I received the Drivetrain Malfunction warning this morning. The dealer is hoping that it's weather related as it's -18 below zero (-45 with windchill) today in Chicago. I guess we will see!
I would think that cold weather wouldn't have an impact on any vehicle except for--starting problems due to strain on battery or the impact on air pressure in the tires leading to the low tire pressure light.
None of which would light up the check engine and/or drivetrain malfunction.

As for the obsession with mpg--the various sensors work with the fuel injection system and the computer in creating the right mix of air and gasoline. If you aren't getting a check engine warning then the milage issue is IMOP just plain silliness (unless you are getting some ridiculous number like under twenty mpg). Car companies due to the whole lunacy of CAFE standards and we consumers are wallowing around in the mpg vortex of idiocy.

The mpg stuff is perfect for obsessive compulsive people.

I agree, this thread should be focused on check engine/drivetrain malfunction problems.
I am beginning to think there may be something serious here.

I am picking up my 328i x drive today after three weeks in the shop and two "fixes" that failed to fix the problem. They say they got it right this time--we'll see. I will post the results and what they found and what was done.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: x3
Just picked up my car today. Had drivetrain malfunction.. They said it was a battery issue and replaced it, but reading these posts makes me worry it was something else and I will get this problem again. The car is just a year old! Also left camera is on order as it was not working. 3rd problem was misreading of the brakes. They checked them and have 10mm left. I have to go back for re-programming and camera installation. Very frustrating.