Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-24-2013, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i
e92 328xi Loud Clunking

Hello all,
So for a while now i've had a slight "clunk" happening under braking from 60-0mph but right before I stop I like to let off the brake to have a smooth stop. Thats when I hear the clunk.
Yesterday, on my way home from work, I noticed a really loud thud when i went over a small bump. Sure enough, when i turned down my music, i could hear id clear as day even over the slightest bump. At first, it sounded like my strut mount but I took it to BMW and they said that the strut mounts look fine. Also, my struts are OEM aftermarket btw. What more interesting is that when i turned the wheel now sharply back and fourth it makes the same noise.

To try and replicate at home while the vehicle is parked, i took a video underneath the car while I lift up on the car and push over to the passenger side and I can hear the noise clear as day.
I'm not too sure it is the struts, i was thinking maybe a wheel bearing?

Any thoughts?

Video

Last edited by jgamble093; 09-24-2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: added URL
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2013, 01:28 PM

By the way the squeaking is just my ebrake (i think)
Old 09-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
There is no such thing as OEM aftermarket...

Check ball joints and lower control arm bushings.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 10-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamble093 View Post
Hello all,
So for a while now i've had a slight "clunk" happening under braking from 60-0mph but right before I stop I like to let off the brake to have a smooth stop. Thats when I hear the clunk.
Yesterday, on my way home from work, I noticed a really loud thud when i went over a small bump. Sure enough, when i turned down my music, i could hear id clear as day even over the slightest bump. At first, it sounded like my strut mount but I took it to BMW and they said that the strut mounts look fine. Also, my struts are OEM aftermarket btw. What more interesting is that when i turned the wheel now sharply back and fourth it makes the same noise.

To try and replicate at home while the vehicle is parked, i took a video underneath the car while I lift up on the car and push over to the passenger side and I can hear the noise clear as day.
I'm not too sure it is the struts, i was thinking maybe a wheel bearing?

Any thoughts?

Video
Ever figure this out??? My 2007 328xi is doing something VERY similar!!

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue | '07 E92 328xi - Space Gray)
Old 10-25-2014, 12:51 PM

I did! It was my sway bar extensions! $80 for a good pair. Change out both side and the knock went away! To see if there bad, when there removed if you can pull the threaded rod away and it moves or clicks there bad.