Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-24-2013, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i xdrive
Run Flat Patch

Can I patch a run flat tire? My tire sensor came on the other day (Saturday) and when I pulled into the gas station (about 20 miles later) the tire was noticeable deflated, when I went to put air in it, it was at about 15 PSI. I put it up to 45 PSI, and took it home, and it has been sitting (slowly deflating) since Saturday.

So given all of that would it be safe to patch the tire or do I need to get a whole new tire? I know the dealership will tell me to replace it, just wondering what the opinion here was.

I wouldn't mind saving the $250 for a new tire if it can be patched, but if it has been compromised I would rather spend the money now than later.
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Yes it can be patched if the nail is in the center of the tire (not on the side).
Old 09-24-2013, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
just put a plug in it like any other tire. I have gone through 8 tires on mine and I had to plug 2 of them early in their lives. They never leaked again. Just make sure the repair is in the tread and not on the sidewall. You can also patch it internally if you want but you need to take the tire off of the rim.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillax View Post
Can I patch a run flat tire? My tire sensor came on the other day (Saturday) and when I pulled into the gas station (about 20 miles later) the tire was noticeable deflated, when I went to put air in it, it was at about 15 PSI.
In my experience, the sensor should trigger at a higher pressure than that. Is it possible that you didn't reset the TPMS after the last time you inflated the tires?

15 psi is pretty low. It's possible that you damaged the tire before you ever got a warning. You won't know until you dismount the tire, and if it's damaged, they won't legally be allowed to re-mount it.

So be sure you go to a shop who has a spare to sell you, and that you have money on hand to buy a new tire.

I hope I'm wrong.

Frederic

Powered by corn.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i xdrive
I had a low tire indicator about a month ago, stopped at a service station everything looked fine, I filled up with air (again everything was fine, but topped everything up) and reset the sensors.

This time I got the warning light and pulled into a gas station and the tire was noticeably deflated (pulled into the gas station about 45 minutes after the indicator light). I used the the air pump pressure meter to get a reading and it was low around 15 - 20 PSI (but those are notoriously inaccurate). I filled it back up to 45 PSI and when I checked the tire tonight everything looks fine.

I have an appointment tomorrow morning at BMW, but not sure if it is a better idea to just head to a tire shop that will cost me much less, or take it to BMW to get their opinion on what is going on. Will BMW patch it if I tell them to? Or will they insist on only selling me a new tire?

Cheers
Old 09-24-2013, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
I had a low tire indicator about a month ago, stopped at a service station everything looked fine, I filled up with air (again everything was fine, but topped everything up) and reset the sensors.

This time I got the warning light and pulled into a gas station and the tire was noticeably deflated (pulled into the gas station about 45 minutes after the indicator light). I used the the air pump pressure meter to get a reading and it was low around 15 - 20 PSI (but those are notoriously inaccurate). I filled it back up to 45 PSI and when I checked the tire tonight everything looks fine.

I have an appointment tomorrow morning at BMW, but not sure if it is a better idea to just head to a tire shop that will cost me much less, or take it to BMW to get their opinion on what is going on. Will BMW patch it if I tell them to? Or will they insist on only selling me a new tire?

Cheers

BMW has but one opinion: Replace the tire - they cannot be repaired.

Price to match.

Then again....Arrrrrrrrrrrr matey....

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 09-24-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: 328i LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFred View Post
In my experience, the sensor should trigger at a higher pressure than that. Is it possible that you didn't reset the TPMS after the last time you inflated the tires?

Frederic
He is in Canada - TPMS aren't used. The car uses the ABS sensors to determine if the wheel circumference changes.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
Quote:
You'd better ask before you take it in. Once the tire is off of the rim, you're committed. Most shops won't remount a damaged tire because of liability concerns.

As for identifying the damage, what you'll see is little black rubber balls inside the tire. When you pick one up, it will disintegrate into dust. This is the remains of your sidewalls, which have crumbled away due to the constant overflexing as the deflated tire rolled down the road. If you see this, the tire's toast.

Given the cost of new run-flats, if you find yourself needing a replacement, you may want to consider other less expensive options. Personally, I like Pilot Super Sports.

Good luck!

Frederic