2017 X3 28i steering needs constant correction - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)

X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
The second generation X3 added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 04-11-2017, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 X3
2017 X3 28i steering needs constant correction

I have 18 inch Pirelli's. This is the first car my wife or I have owned where we have to be constantly correcting our steering. Let go of the wheel and it will start to veer either left or right based (seemingly) on the subtle undulations of the road very quickly and sharply (have video for dealer). After an hour of highway driving my arm can actually get stiff. We brought the car in and were given another X3 exactly the same except for 19 inch Goodyears....NO ISSUE, great control. Dealer still giving us runaround after now our 3rd visit... Any similar issues? Does size matter (tires) for this model?
Thanks!!

Last edited by santen; 04-11-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2017, 06:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW X3 X28i
I also have the Pirelli's on mine (2017 X3 X28i.....245/50 -R18) 11K. Zero issues on the steering.
This drift is at any speed? Is it hard or bout normal to turn a corner? Do you feel even the slightest "pulse" in the wheel?
1965 Chevrolet Corvette
Old 04-11-2017, 08:19 PM

Drift is maybe more at highway speeds and more dramatic than normal and not in the same direction. It's as if the steering is hypersensitive. I just can't rest my hand at 12:00 on the steering wheel and relax...constantly adjusting to stay straight on a straight away.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 BMW X3 35i
This is not normal steering operation for the X3 in my experience. Your X3 is still under warranty. I suggest you raise your concerns with your BMW dealer. You might also ask to test drive another X3 at the dealer to compare the steering.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:24 PM

Yep time to make appointment and get it checked out. My .02 is on the rack . . . . . but i have no access, ssoooo we see.
Let us know what you ended up with. How many miles on it now ?

HA HA . . . . FORGOT . . . . this is an electric servo system, which means there is either one or two input pots from steering input ( don't know # )
I'd guess the signal goes to command control unit first then out as the drive lights angle change during cornering.
Two signals to check, from steering wheel and into servo.
1965 Chevrolet Corvette

Last edited by Old Scout; 04-16-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:09 AM

Thanks all for the replies! We have had the car in 2 times now and each time had another X3 as a loaner. First one drove perfectly, only difference was 19" Goodyears. 2nd time was exact same set up. The second was still much better than our X3 and nearly as good as the X3 with the 19" GY's. What they have done now for us was put 19" alloys with the Goodyear tires. My wife picked up the car and she has told me it actually drives worse now, and definitely worse than the loaner we had with 19" tires. The shop mgrs are in conflict. One is saying he sees "some" difference, the other mgr (latest time in....same dealership) is saying "everything is fine" and there is nothing else they can do for us. So we are getting the hardball now. Obviously we are not going to go away quietly after spending 50K all in for a car that is very uncomfortable to drive and only as 7,000 miles on it (bought as a Certified Used Car just over a week ago with problem since day 1).
I will keep you posted on how the dealership ends up treating this situation, but always appreciate the feedback!

Last edited by santen; 04-13-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: E70 Xdrive48, F30 328i
There is an adjustment nut on the steering box. What you're describing happens when it is overtightened. Take it back and tell them to adjust it.

Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
Alpine WhiteCoral RedAluminum f30 328i Sportline/6MT
Imola RedBlackBlack Aluminum e46 330i ZHP/6MT
Old 04-13-2017, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 235i + X3 35
You should also ask the dealer to do an alignment check for you. Sometimes this "squirreliness" can be caused by out of alignment with rear wheel toe-in. I'm assuming you've done a proper tire pressure check.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:15 PM

so far we have had a realignment, rotated the tires...and now have had the wheels and tires replaced off the other X3 loaner that had great steering control... nothing yet... in fact a littl worse with the new tires...
Old 04-13-2017, 07:18 PM

Well . . . its an electric signal issue. I tend to go overboard on a few things so . . . . . I would.
1. If the Salesperson is still there, knowing he has driven ALOT of those, take him out and drive yours (keep it quiet from service)
2. Visit an Indi BMW garage. Even if ya have to pay for a .25 or .5 (at most) check out, get another opinion, written.
3. Track down another experience X3 owner (thru the saleman might be the best lead) have them drive yours.
(or do two indi bmw centers)
BUILD your case.

My X3 drives straight as an arrow, and has EVER SO LIGHTLY left or right pull based on drain curvature of the road. You can one finger it to keep straight. NORMAL !
11K miles on 18" / Perilli RFT
(oh . . . . the roads around me are mostly two laners or have center turn lane, plenty of curvature, patches, lumps and bumps, and holes. It still drive straight !
1965 Chevrolet Corvette

Last edited by Old Scout; 04-16-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:17 AM

Scout...really appreciate your responses here!
About day 3/4 after purchase (a little over a week ago) we contacted the dealership to inform them about the steering ... talked to the sales rep and his manager. At first got the "can't bring the car back, except for service" talk. We have now had it in for service twice now...one of the times I found the rep and discussed again. We had one Service Mgr say he saw the difference, but then yesterday (while they still have the car) change his story and is now sticking with "it's a typical X3 drive". Sorry dude, I have now driven 3 off your lot, including our, and the other two (loaners for a couple of days each) drive perfectly fine - actually like the X3 very much, at least the other two I have had!
We have started a claim with BMW Corp now because we are getting the message loud and clear from the dealer that they have done all they can do. We have had luxury cars for the last 20+ years, and this is our first try with BMW...bummer it is turning into such a bad experience.
We will start building our story as well outside the dealership...which I am not yet naming in the hopes they will still do the right thing. If not, social media can be a pain!!

Last edited by santen; 04-14-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:53 PM

Gee there are 3 dealers in Chicago !? right
Hey good luck, remember DOCUMENT & RECORD, document & record.
And the outside eval (qualified, authorized BMW service) weights lots.
Keep us posted
1965 Chevrolet Corvette
Old 04-18-2017, 08:14 AM

Hi Scout...
Yes...really just 3....
We contacted BMW North America out of NC. They contacted the dealership noting that they need to work with us on this issue.
We did a surprise visit to the sales manager yesterday midday (slow at the dealership) to which we originally received the "we have done all we can...the car checks out fine in service". That answer was not sticking with me and they realized it shouldn't. It appears they have finally conceded and provided us another X3 as a potential swap, but asked us to drive it for 24 hours to be certain.
We put over 70 highway miles on a nice road trip immediately....night and day on the steering! The only difference with this X3 is 19" alloys and lower profile tires (which they put on our original X3 as a test and the steering was actually worse!).
Tomorrow we go into to do the paperwork to switch X3's.
It isn't over til it's over...but looking much better now...
btw...I did mention to the dealership that I had been on this forum as well and received good advice and confirmation that what we are experiencing is NOT typical.
REALLY APPRECIATE all the great advice here from Scout, Jon and Sean!!
Old 04-18-2017, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Roush RS3 mustang
Let us know how it turns out.

2014 Roush Mustang RS3 A6
Looking for a 15+ X3 or X5
Old 04-20-2017, 04:58 AM

Mein Auto: BMWX3
Dealership not cooperative

Regarding Santen's post.....I am Santen's wife and driver of the X3. We called BMW Corporate and were told to just take it in and the dealership will "work" with you regarding a switch of cars.....meaning that they stated that we could buy the loaner car that I drove while my pre owned with 6 k miles was getting fixed (again) all 3 loaner cars steer perfectly. The used car sales manager disagreed with my husband and I regarding the steering issue that we are having but said that he "gets it" and will let us "net" out of our car to purchase the loaner vehicle.....he then tries to inflate the price of this car by saying it has better wheels and tires(on the sticker it reads that the value is 650$) we agree to pay more 1500$ because this car has 2,000 less miles and upgrades tires but still 2017 and not a pre owned certified. THEN we realize he is trying to charge us 5,500$ more dollars and tries to tell us that he has to devalue the car that I have driven all of a week because it had been in the shop......he wants to take 10,000 off for the payoff of this vehicle because we bought it with the warranty...... Which now raises the cost of the loaner vehicle and would make my car payment go up by 100$ per month. Corporate said they talked to this dealership and that we could just exchange the car.........what ?!?!?Service has told us that there is nothing wrong and so do all the managers there. To me, after driving all the other 3 loaners which are perfect they will not do a like kind exchange. Hmmmmmm.......what the heck is going on? We left the dealership after being there again for 4 hours thinking that this would be an easy exchange but no, I leave with the same car that doesn't steer properly because this dealership was seriously trying to take advantage of us. Why am I suffering with this vehicle now that I don't feel safe driving?

Last edited by Masters; 04-20-2017 at 05:02 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: 235i + X3 35
Sadly it appears BMW NA and the dealer are not communicating with each other. It also sounds like the dealer wants to get more than his ounce of flesh out of this issue. I would write to BMW NA and copy the dealer explaining what you have just told us here, and asking them to resolve this issue. You might ask someone from BMW NA to test drive your car and to give their perspective. BMW needs to get involved and not just sit on the sidelines letting the dealer call the shots if they want to keep a customer and the goodwill of other BMW owners here, and potential owners you know in your circle of friends.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:06 AM

Agreed. I am calling corporate(again) now.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Roush RS3 mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masters View Post
Agreed. I am calling corporate(again) now.
Hope things work out for you !!

Just be polite, but firm with the dealer and things should work out for you...

2014 Roush Mustang RS3 A6
Looking for a 15+ X3 or X5
Old 04-20-2017, 06:50 AM

Corporate states that it is ultimately up to the dealership to make any decisions. They are assigning me an advocate.......I am not feeling very convinced that my situation will go well. I just wanted to exchange the car for one that steers properly and they can't seem to make this happen in a fair way. I told them now that I just want my down payment refunded and cancel the loan because of their lack of business integrity with regard to treating customers fairly and doing the right thing.

Last edited by Masters; 04-20-2017 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 3.5i M Sport
Too much verbal going on. Start getting things in writing. You may need them.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:36 AM

Thanks for your reply! Has anyone ever had a lemon or problem that could not be fixed?
Old 04-20-2017, 09:51 PM

CALL bmw nq talk to "your" Advocate . . . . "start barking strong" about the lopsided deal being forced on you.
Document .. . document.....

Would you consider telling them to take the vehicle back, cash you out, and you'll give them the equal to a months Lease payment!
Maybe that will get their attention. And DO NOT talk to anyone there alone. Make sure you are BOTH there from here out.
Your trouble should ALSO be worth something !
1965 Chevrolet Corvette

Last edited by Old Scout; 04-20-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:06 PM

Dear Ms Martino-

I recently purchased a 2017 BMW X3 which was a pre owned certified car with approximately 7k miles. I traded in my trusty 2010 VOLVO xc90 for a smaller X3 because I wanted a smaller vehicle and thought it was a good time to do so to take advantage of the 0% finance rate.

I bought the car on Wednesday, March 29th. I drove the car around the block on Quincy to Ogden and back in a driving rain, the car seemed to drive fine.

The next two days on the expressway brought driving rain and the car was drifting to the left and then to the right exhibiting a steering issue and I did not feel comfortable driving the vehicle. I did not feel safe due to the drift into the other lanes. The steering wheel is very loose and it is in constant motion for me to keep it going in a straight line. I wanted to give the car a chance and I thought perhaps because of the rain and wind that this was the reason for the back and forth. On Saturday, a clear day, the car was still swerving a bit and exhibiting the same dog legging pattern of travel with the steering issue. I called on Monday and spoke to Bill in Sales and told him that I wanted to return the car because I just didn't feel safe driving this car with the constant need for pressure and turning of the wheel. He said to bring it in for service and I did. The car has been in twice and I was provided a service loaner x3 vehicle each time and each loaner vehicle steered perfectly. I drove with Service manager to show him the problem the 2nd time and he agreed that the car was drifting. He suggested that BMW should keep the car and do an alignment. After service, I picked up the car and it drove exactly the same (still the same problem) They were kind enough to put different rims and tires on the car to check to see if this was the problem but it actually drove worse. Service manager insists that the car drives perfectly now and I respectfully disagree. I can't feel unsafe when I drive and have a new 2 month old granddaughter in the car when I feel unstable in this car which causes stress in my drive. Service stated that there was nothing more that they could do and I stated that I would just love to buy the loaner as it drove so perfectly. Both of the loaner vehicles drove perfectly. My husband drove all 3 and he agrees also. We even made a video of us driving the vehicle and the lane changing etc. Service suggested an exchange and to contact sales. I called my salesperson and he never called back.

I called BMW Corporate in Spartenburg and they said that they would speak to sales. They sounded very positive that this exchange of cars would not be a problem. We did not receive a call after this. My husband and I came in to speak with Mr X, the used car manager. We were treated very poorly and with much aggression. The Salesman was kind but Mr X has a temper and made me feel uncomfortable as a woman. I told him that I had spoken with Corporate BMW to do a like kind exchange and he acted very angry and insulted then asked, "Why didn't you talk to me first?" He hastily took my car for a ride around the block and stated that he had it up to 70 mph on Ogden Avenue and that there was no problem with the steering. Again, my husband and I are business professionals and I own my own customer service oriented business. I would NEVER speak to my clients in the manner that Mr x has spoken to myself and my husband. He agreed to "net" my car and let us exchange the car for another one of like kind on the lot, after much disagreeing and bullying. They suggested that we take this "other vehicle" home to make sure that it drove fine and like the other two loaners, it drove fine and seemed to be very sound. We came back on Wednesday to formalize the exchange and Mr x stated that NOW-he could not even give me what we bought the car for in a pay off..... I have not even drove this vehicle for a week because it has been in the shop to try to fix it. I have been told that there is nothing wrong but to me, there is a problem with the steering. I protested the fact that Mr X was treating this situation unfairly and trying to clearly rip us off (for lack of better words). The car does not drive properly, I had a 3 day right of recision which I stated on the Monday after the purchase. I tried to give service a chance to fix the car and now I see I should have just refused. I thought corporate had smoothed things over to prepare for the exchange.

Mr X started presenting all these numbers that did NOT make sense. Toni said that it will all work out once we go upstairs to speak with Finance, that he will take off some money for the warranty, etc and we will be back to the original numbers of my car. The new car had 2 k less miles and 650$ dollars worth of upgraded rims and tires. We told Mr X that we would pay 1500$ more for this near exact car to mine, other than the color and tires. It had leather as did mine, etc etc. Somehow Mr X states that this car has 5,000$ more value than my car that I bought 2 weeks ago and now mine is worth 8,000$ less. I told him that this is unfair and that I would be telling all my clients and writing as many reviews as possible on all social media for the scam that he is trying to pull. He got EXTREMELY LOUD and raised his voice so that other customers in the nearby cube were staring at him. He started barking "So you are trying to threaten me" "So you are trying to threaten me" with this menacing and quite scary face that was looking so aggressive and challenging. To the point of, I kept seeing his ugliness as I reflect back to the moment in my mind and worry about what type of people that work for your company. My husband is my witness, as is the salesman. The salesman even came in and kind of laughed about it and said "Wow, I was going to ask you guys to take it outside"

Mr X then manipulated the numbers, came back and stated "OK, I adjusted the numbers 2,000$....here, sign here" I questioned it again, this is where the Salesman stepped in and said that Finance would remove some of the charges and it would be the same loan that we had. NOT EVEN CLOSE. We went upstairs and my payment was going up to 750$ with an increase of a 100$ per month. I questioned the finance guy and he said all he does is write the contracts and had nothing to do with the numbers. I said "Would you take this car (nearly the same car for an extra 12k)?" He said NO. I said "Exactly!" We walked out and then we reversed the plates and I left with the same grey car with the steering issue that I DO NOT feel safe driving.

I called corporate BMW again this morning.....but they say that there is nothing much that they can do and that it is in the dealer's hands. I respectfully ask that you do the right thing and the right thing is to let us go, just give me my down payment back from my VOLVO that was so good to me for 7 years. I am fearful to deal with Mr X, he is unprofessional and aggressive.

I regret that this car is just not fit to be driven on the highway. I was very excited to drive it. I have owned 2 Mercedes, a Lexus, Infiniti, VOLVO and now one BMW that is breaking my heart as I wanted it to work out so badly.

Please come up with a fair solution as I don't see how this is my fault in any way.

My letter was sent to dealership this evening.......

Last edited by Masters; 04-23-2017 at 05:17 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: E70 Xdrive48, F30 328i
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
Alpine WhiteCoral RedAluminum f30 328i Sportline/6MT
Imola RedBlackBlack Aluminum e46 330i ZHP/6MT
Old 04-22-2017, 11:06 PM

Good letter content. Use grammar and spell check next time. Did you send it certified mail "to" the Manager? require a signature, or regular mail.
Now if there is any further conversation, face to face, with anyone there, (especially with tuff guy Mr. X) RECORD it and or phone calls.
Were both you and hubby present when he did his rant ? ? ?
There are recording "ink pens" and other items, get one and use it.
Call your states attorney general office and check on lemon law.
TAKE the vehicle to an authorize bmw service for a written opinion.
Build your case.

Thats too bad mr. wonderful is working above his capability, and the dealer is suffering. If he has acted this way to you, he has done it before.
And the salesmans remarks are the best indicator. I can't believe even the salesman said that! This is in Chicago . . . . right ?
1965 Chevrolet Corvette

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2017, control, steering, x3

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search