Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-23-2014, 07:50 AM
Masterx5 Masterx5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 221
Mein Auto: 2011 x3 3.5i
Water leak from Microphone port in roof

While driving home after a detailing of my car, severe thunderstorm hit our area with a lot of hail. I was lucky that after being hit by 15 seconds of that hail, I found a spot under the bridge. The roads were covered with all hail - looked like a winter storm. After the storm was all done in 15 minutes, while driving with no rain and all sun, I saw some drops of water leaking from the microphone port in roof right above the driver seat. At home I opened the sunroof and checked for water leak around that area and saw some drops of water in the corner above the driver seat. My sunroof creaks from that middel bar and that was fixed but creak returned. So the sunroof story expands to become worse. I know these are 2 different things but sunroof is a dreaded item now.
Called SA and have an appt on wednesday and till then this car will hiding away from any rain - quite sad
I am wondering what should wrong with sunroof now when BMW has them for years - darn quality just sucks.
Can't drive the Japs but can't tolerate this nonsense of BMW quality .
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 05-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Me530's Avatar
Me530 Me530 is offline
Happily Driving
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,148
Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Clean your sunroof drain holes.
__________________
2014 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2014
2013 X3 35i, Dealer Delivery July 2012

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011


BMWCCA #350568

Last edited by Me530; 05-23-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-23-2014, 10:16 AM
guyver626 guyver626 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: ny
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 933
Mein Auto: x3 35i
Where exactly are the drain holes located? Are they easy to spot if I just open my sunroof and look down at it? Can't do it now as I'm at work. Thanks!


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-25-2014, 04:35 AM
Doug in NC Doug in NC is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NC
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 151
Mein Auto: 2011 x3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver626 View Post
Where exactly are the drain holes located? Are they easy to spot if I just open my sunroof and look down at it? Can't do it now as I'm at work. Thanks!


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
There are two on the front, below the bug deflector, one at each corner. They are rectangle and you can find them when the roof is open. If you pour water into those rectangle openings you should be able to hear the water run down the A pilar and you'll see it drip onto the driveway. I blew mine out with some compressed air.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-25-2014, 05:19 AM
guyver626 guyver626 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: ny
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 933
Mein Auto: x3 35i
Thank you kind sir for the answer to my question


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-25-2014, 02:37 PM
bowler ed bowler ed is offline
Registered User
Location: England
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: BMW 2014 F07 2.0D GT M SP
Moon roof drain pipes

Hi MasterX5
Just a word of warning
If you use an airline it could be possible that if a rubber hose is used to take the water away from the moon roof through the A pillar (I don't know if this is the method used on the X3 ), then if the hose is badly blocked you could force it off the end of the metal drain tube under the moon roof. If this happens you are in the s**t as you will either need to have the moon roof taken out to reconnect it or possibly the trim from the A pillar, probably the moon roof I believe.
My advice would be to GENTLY use a length of flexible wire or stiff plastic/nylon first to clear the blockage then use the airline to finally blow out any rubbish/sludge etc.
Just be careful and good luck
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-25-2014, 09:03 PM
Masterx5 Masterx5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 221
Mein Auto: 2011 x3 3.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowler ed View Post
Hi MasterX5
Just a word of warning
If you use an airline it could be possible that if a rubber hose is used to take the water away from the moon roof through the A pillar (I don't know if this is the method used on the X3 ), then if the hose is badly blocked you could force it off the end of the metal drain tube under the moon roof. If this happens you are in the s**t as you will either need to have the moon roof taken out to reconnect it or possibly the trim from the A pillar, probably the moon roof I believe.
My advice would be to GENTLY use a length of flexible wire or stiff plastic/nylon first to clear the blockage then use the airline to finally blow out any rubbish/sludge etc.
Just be careful and good luck
Well It will be in shop on Wednesday and let see what they say.
I checked the front end corners and in corner, I did see some tiny droplets of water. I will see for those rectangles kind of things again tomorrow. But if these drains are blocked then how comes the water is seeping into the Microphone port area.
My question is that sunroof is not a new thing in cars today, then how come BMW crap engineer can not figure out the right way of handling this water logging problem. This makes me really .

What measure should be taken to avoid such clogging if this is really drain blockage issue?
thanks you folks
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-29-2014, 08:28 PM
Masterx5 Masterx5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 221
Mein Auto: 2011 x3 3.5i
Dealer checked and found no leaks from the microphone port - no surprise there as no problems are ever replicated until it becomes really bad. While I dropped my car yesterday morning the SA did tell me that it could be clogged drain as "Me530" pointed out earlier in thread
Anyway they cleaned my drain holes but was not told that they were clogged - I forgot to ask them too. They did find the plastic wind visor had some broken plastic part and thought if that caused the issue ask my and how.

Ok I have a rental car and it is 2014 328 GT - drives great and absorbs the bumps like they were tiny ones. 2013-2014 3 series now appear to be an amazing car - they just glide on road as if no wind resistance. ANyway GT was spacious and foot gesture to open the hatch was good but took me few minutes to practice it. I wonder how smooth the 5 series must be now.....

Last edited by Masterx5; 05-29-2014 at 08:29 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-16-2016, 05:40 PM
Masterx5 Masterx5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 221
Mein Auto: 2011 x3 3.5i
After a good bit of rain this morning, while driving back home in the afternoon and I applied brakes at a traffic light (after driving for 15 min or so) and i saw water droplets coming out of the front dome/reading light area. This time nothing from Microphone. I checked those drains and visual inspected did not reveal anything.
I am wondering where is this water traveling in the roof of X3 - sometimes in microphone and sometimes in lights area,
Anybody with this problem? thanks
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-17-2016, 03:42 PM
nyrangers79 nyrangers79 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 131
Mein Auto:
This isn't just a bmw problem. I've had 3 cars do this. Stuff just gets dirty and clogged. It happens. Ever since I've garaged my car it no longer happens
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-07-2016, 09:19 AM
intothefuture intothefuture is offline
Registered User
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: '16 BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterx5 View Post
After a good bit of rain this morning, while driving back home in the afternoon and I applied brakes at a traffic light (after driving for 15 min or so) and i saw water droplets coming out of the front dome/reading light area. This time nothing from Microphone. I checked those drains and visual inspected did not reveal anything.
I am wondering where is this water traveling in the roof of X3 - sometimes in microphone and sometimes in lights area,
Anybody with this problem? thanks
I'm having the exact same problem with my '16 X3 and the first time they told me it was the drains which I had a hard time believing because it's garage kept and parked in an open lot without trees.

Took it in again and the dealer has had it for a week now and they again tried to tell me it's just clogged drains even though I just had them clear it out not even 3 weeks ago. This is awfully frustrating and also feel that for the price I'm paying for this car, it seems completely outrageous that they can't sort out a moon roof leak when my family has had cars from the 90s that bake in the sun all day and their moon roof has never leaked so much as a drop

Not sure what I am going to do next, did you end up taking it back again?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-07-2016, 10:42 AM
Masterx5 Masterx5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 221
Mein Auto: 2011 x3 3.5i
I am just living with that issue. My car is out of warranty now. Fortunately I do not take the car is heavy rain. I am not sure how can drain clog that easily ?
I recently opened the microphone port but I could not see anything. I cleaned my drains and will see if that helps.
I think the drain lines are probably loose somewhere and the water escapes from it and comes in the sunroof area. I am thinking of reinforcing the sunroof opening with some very thin strip of insulation so that water does not go in drain area at all. Haven't done that yet
Please ask service guys to open the sunroof area and check there.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-07-2016, 11:41 AM
intothefuture intothefuture is offline
Registered User
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: '16 BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterx5 View Post
I am just living with that issue. My car is out of warranty now. Fortunately I do not take the car is heavy rain. I am not sure how can drain clog that easily ?
I recently opened the microphone port but I could not see anything. I cleaned my drains and will see if that helps.
I think the drain lines are probably loose somewhere and the water escapes from it and comes in the sunroof area. I am thinking of reinforcing the sunroof opening with some very thin strip of insulation so that water does not go in drain area at all. Haven't done that yet
Please ask service guys to open the sunroof area and check there.
They just called back and stated they rechecked all the seals and ran the car under the water tester with it sitting flat, front up, and back side up, for over 6 hours, something he said they have never done in all the time he's worked there and it is bone dry

At this point I'll be taking the car back and all I can do is wait for another heavy rain and get picture/video proof if it happens again (although I hope it doesn't, when you have a new family and both parents are working, dealing with this becomes extra aggravating), they said it might help them. The mic in the vent apparently wasn't damaged either, super weird and still leaves a bad taste in my mouth considering the car barely has 15k miles.

Do you have the panoramic roof or the normal sized?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-07-2016, 12:53 PM
Masterx5 Masterx5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 221
Mein Auto: 2011 x3 3.5i
I have pano roof. When I took my car to dealer the first time it happened they did a similar test and did not see anything.
I always dread the heavy rain and so I carry a heavy packaging tape with me all the time - at least I can tape the front part of the sunroof
Wish you good luck and hopefully it is solved for you.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-09-2016, 08:52 PM
intothefuture intothefuture is offline
Registered User
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: '16 BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterx5 View Post
I have pano roof. When I took my car to dealer the first time it happened they did a similar test and did not see anything.
I always dread the heavy rain and so I carry a heavy packaging tape with me all the time - at least I can tape the front part of the sunroof
Wish you good luck and hopefully it is solved for you.
Maybe i'll start doing the same with the tape, hope yours gets definitively fixed too!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-14-2016, 08:22 PM
rayms69 rayms69 is online now
Registered User
Location: Idaho Falls, idaho
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 78
Mein Auto: 2016 x3 x35i
In my audi q7, the drain holes werent clogged, i ran a weed eater cable down and out, the sunroof drain to hoses which werent glued properly where the connected rubber drain hoses. Improperly glued crappy connectors. I truly hope this isnt going on in x3s. Water leaked out of connection, down the a piller, onto a fuse panel and onto the passenger floorboard. I had to remove the headliner and glue these POS connector, problem solved.

Last edited by rayms69; 07-14-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-15-2016, 07:08 AM
intothefuture intothefuture is offline
Registered User
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: '16 BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayms69 View Post
In my audi q7, the drain holes werent clogged, i ran a weed eater cable down and out, the sunroof drain to hoses which werent glued properly where the connected rubber drain hoses. Improperly glued crappy connectors. I truly hope this isnt going on in x3s. Water leaked out of connection, down the a piller, onto a fuse panel and onto the passenger floorboard. I had to remove the headliner and glue these POS connector, problem solved.
That sounds like a pain, lets def hope the X3s aren't having the same problem.

I experienced light rain and purposefully kept it out of the garage recently with no leaks, keeping my fingers crossed.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-15-2016, 08:13 AM
rayms69 rayms69 is online now
Registered User
Location: Idaho Falls, idaho
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 78
Mein Auto: 2016 x3 x35i
I haven't noticed anything and drove through some torrential downpours, not to mention washing it all the time. Took awhile for it to rear it's ugly head in the audi
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-16-2016, 02:00 PM
intothefuture intothefuture is offline
Registered User
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: '16 BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayms69 View Post
I haven't noticed anything and drove through some torrential downpours, not to mention washing it all the time. Took awhile for it to rear it's ugly head in the audi
Welp after a rain today, it's still leaking just as much as it did when i first took it in, might need to take this up with corporate at this point.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-16-2016, 02:33 PM
rayms69 rayms69 is online now
Registered User
Location: Idaho Falls, idaho
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 78
Mein Auto: 2016 x3 x35i
That's terrible news, let us know what it is and what they do
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-16-2016, 05:40 PM
intothefuture intothefuture is offline
Registered User
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: '16 BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayms69 View Post
That's terrible news, let us know what it is and what they do
sent a couple of emails out to start since it's a Saturday, will give updates as they come
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms