Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-24-2013, 11:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 528i
Review of my new 2014 528i

Long time follower, first 'real' post! I have been lurking on this site for years, and its finally time to come out of my Bimmerfest closet and start contributing!

New Car Specs:
-Jet Black
-Luxury Line
-LED
-Premium
-Luxury Seating
-Cold Weather Package
-Harmon Kardon
-Drivers Assistance Package

Recently picked up my 2014 528i in Munich Germany! Coming from a base 2008 328i with only Bluetooth and Xenons to a loaded 5 is quite a change. Love my little 3 Series, as it was my first 'car' ( I grew up with only pickup trucks and suburbans in good ole North Dakota). I'll never forget the day of going to a BMW dealership for the first time in 2007 and sitting in a 3 series and never feeling so instantly connected. What a great car! But as time grew on, and the miles stacked up, I felt it was the perfect time to upgrade as my family and I were planning a trip to Germany this past August/September.

First, a little background on me. I just turned 30 years old. Maybe a little old at heart. Maybe being the youngest in my family I was always around older people. The reason I give this info, is because I am not your average young BMW owner wanting ultra fast, and feel every bump in the road kind of car. Certainly most guys my age would put their money to an M. After test driving many BMW's, I just knew that this was the perfect car for me.

First off I would like to talk about the general road dynamic of this vehicle. I feel that this car, with its twin turbo I-4, is faster off the line than my previous 3. There is certainly more low end torque, which makes the car quick in every day driving conditions. BMW certainly did some tweaking with the engine and exhaust note which sounds very deep, throaty, and expensive and almost a little menacing in its own refined way. Itís got such a satisfying rumble. Certainly much different than the sound than the first one I test drove when it was released which sounded whimpy and not in line with a 60 k car. I will add that the ASS system has been tweaked to be almost imperceptible (I still don't think I am ready for it, though, so I turned it off). Car always keeps last setting from last drive (AWESOME!)

Handling is crisp and light and perfect in any setting with just the right amount of road feel. I have to say long drives in my 3 almost got tiring feeling the car process and feed back every last imperfection in the pavement (especially So Cal roads). The new 5 gobbles up any imperfection and spits it out without any lessening in handling. I feel that this car corners flatter than my old 3. For me, this car is sooooo smooth, yet so connected. The steering feel and dynamic is worlds away from the prior years steering. They really nailed it with the steering. In a word - Perfect. Cruising at 120 down the Autobahn, we all felt we were going about 60 - it's so isolated and refined. Incredibly quiet at any speed.

LCI Changes: Love the new chrome on front bumper and rear bumper - it adds just enough without being too much. Taillights are just slightly different, and its hard to tell the difference when car is off. Great rims too. The ambient lighting is also very cool as it can be red or white. Even with dark leather, it really gives the interior a special feel at night.

Interior is in another class from its competitors and in another stratosphere from the old and current 3. I went with Anthracite wood and I love it - gives the car a much different look from Burl - more modern. I got Dakota leather in black because I have always had black on black and just couldn't make the switch to Mocha (which looks amazing) or any other color. The stitching really adds a 'tailored' and premium look to the interior. I got the Luxury Seating package and love the perforated seats. My biggest complaint with my 3 was the leatherette did not breathe and I would always get a clammy back no matter if hot or cold. New seats are perfect with adjustable bolsters and the always important thigh extender. Massage function is cool and ventilation is surprisingly powerful (love the way the leather smell gets pushed through the cabin when on). I did notice the seats are a bit firmer, than just multicontour but endlessly supportive and perfect for me. Backseat feels almost limo-like for me coming from 3. My family enjoyed the enjoyed the extra space as well.

Love the power tailgate. Being able to use your foot is super cool and useful (worked like a charm every time).

Harmon Kardon is a must - don't order your car without it. I'm no audiophile (as I loved the base system in the 3) but this is the best I've ever heard in a car. Fantastic.

Navigation is new to me and will take some time to get used to, but it worked perfectly in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. Touchpad is nifty and extremely useful, although I turned off the lady repeating the letters to me. System works perfect without any lag. LOVE the technology package and LCD guages too.

LED Lighting is so striking. As I was coming home from work the other day, I saw a 2014 5 without xenons and couldnít believe the halogen turn signal. Why would BMW take steps backward? So glad I got the LEDís - they certainly got a lot of stares while going through the streets in Germany. Huge step up from xenonís.

Everything about this car feels expensive. The solidity of everything, every sound, and even the way the leather smells so deep and rich. It is far and away the best car in its class. BMW certainly brought their A game to this 5. I believe that this design will stand the test of time. It really is a special car.

A few pictures:

The BMW Welt sure makes the delivery unforgettable

Learning about every feature in detail

Best seat ever made

Bimmer's first fuel: 95 Octane!

Cruising down the Autobahn

What a beauty!

She's a stunner

Stay tuned for a European Delivery Review in the coming weeks!
2014 528i - Luxury Package - Jet Black - Dakota Black Leather - Anthracite Trim - Cold Weather Package - Driver Assistance Package - Lighting Package - Luxury Seating Package - Premium Package - Harmon Kardon. European Delivery September 2, 2013.
Ads by Google
Old 09-24-2013, 11:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 F10

Jet black with the LCI lights looks great
Old 09-25-2013, 12:01 AM

Thanks! Jet Black is worth all the trouble
2014 528i - Luxury Package - Jet Black - Dakota Black Leather - Anthracite Trim - Cold Weather Package - Driver Assistance Package - Lighting Package - Luxury Seating Package - Premium Package - Harmon Kardon. European Delivery September 2, 2013.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwase54 View Post
Thanks! Jet Black is worth all the trouble
I agree. Nice car!

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:52 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to MoldCAD
Mein Auto: 528i xDrive
Quote:
Bimmer's first fuel: 95 Octane!
Congrats, she is a beauty indeed

One thing though: German (or EU for that matter) 95 octane gas is RON-rated, and is no better than the US 91 octane. Want 93+ ? Go with the 98 in EU; it will feel as if another turbo was added The German Premium 98 is an absolutely wonderful fuel.

Last edited by MoldCAD; 09-26-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Excellent review!
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Continental RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
Congrats! The subtle LCI changes really sets this design off. You no longer have to go Msport for a nice looking F10

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 09-25-2013, 07:06 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Everything about this car feels expensive. The solidity of everything, every sound, and even the way the leather smells so deep and rich. It is far and away the best car in its class. BMW certainly brought their A game to this 5.
Congratulations, and that is a great review all around. I particularly agree with this final point. I've had my 2013 535 for about a month now, and I still feel a little guilty about driving such a nice car. I used to have an E60, it was a fantastic car that I loved very much. The F10 does give up a little adrenaline compared to that car, but as a place to spend time, and as a beautiful design, there is no comparison. The F10 is a truly beautiful design.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535xi / 2012 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
Congratulations, and that is a great review all around. I particularly agree with this final point. I've had my 2013 535 for about a month now, and I still feel a little guilty about driving such a nice car. I used to have an E60, it was a fantastic car that I loved very much. The F10 does give up a little adrenaline compared to that car, but as a place to spend time, and as a beautiful design, there is no comparison. The F10 is a truly beautiful design.
Congratulations. Great car and great write-up. Enjoy!

Retired: '11 F10 535xi | ED 11/26/2010
Retired: '07 E90 328xi
Old 09-25-2013, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 645Ci, Z3 2.5
Great review - thanks for that. As someone who is awaiting delivery of a 2014 535i M Sport for my wife, I really appreciate another person's point of view on the car.
But some of the things you wrote kinda confirmed what I feared the most... I guess I'm a different kid of BMW driver, I used to 5ers being sharp, responsive, even a bit edgy, light, with suspension NOT gobbling up road imperfections, and the car not having floaty, "isolated" feeling. Hate the chrome, not a big fan the steering response on a new car. More and more 5 series becoming similar to MB or Lexus, and folks raving about it luxury and premium materials....I guess 3 is truly becoming a new 5, and 1er is new 3...
Man, I miss E39!
2002 BMW E36/7 Z3 Roadster 2.5i
2004 BMW E63 645i Coupe (still have)
2005 BMW E60 545i (still have)
2000 BMW E36/8 Z3 M Coupe (still have)
2014 BMW F10 535i M Sport (on order)
Old 09-25-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
I couldn't agree with you more on that guilty part! You are right about giving up a little adrenaline for a car with true drivability. I never would take my car to a track or push it to the limit, but as far as cruising at a rock-solid stable 90 mph on the freeway or slinking around town with crisp handling - this car is unbeatable. BMW just got this car so right.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
Congrats! The subtle LCI changes really sets this design off. You no longer have to go Msport for a nice looking F10

Alan
You are right! I don't think I would have been as happy with a pre-LCI - the new changes are subtle but make all the difference in the world. Your car is looking pretty sweet these days
Old 09-25-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaZ3 View Post
Great review - thanks for that. As someone who is awaiting delivery of a 2014 535i M Sport for my wife, I really appreciate another person's point of view on the car.
But some of the things you wrote kinda confirmed what I feared the most... I guess I'm a different kid of BMW driver, I used to 5ers being sharp, responsive, even a bit edgy, light, with suspension NOT gobbling up road imperfections, and the car not having floaty, "isolated" feeling. Hate the chrome, not a big fan the steering response on a new car. More and more 5 series becoming similar to MB or Lexus, and folks raving about it luxury and premium materials....I guess 3 is truly becoming a new 5, and 1er is new 3...
Man, I miss E39!
I do agree with you that BMW is taking a new direction, but I also feel the market is evolving and BMW is doing the right thing to keep up with changing demands. I wanted a car with a little more emphasis on luxury while not completely disregarding sporty (i.e. Mercedes E Class) and I got exactly what I wanted. It is THE best drivers car in its class, but it is more polished and isolated which is perfect for me (and what I feel the majority of buyers in this market are after). Who knows, maybe I will tire of this smooth thing and crave an M in a few years!!
Old 09-25-2013, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i M Sport
Great review and excellent choice! I liked your honest impressions of the car and the luxury line looks very nice!
Old 09-25-2013, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 528i
Congratulations!! I was 30 when i took delivery too..
Glad that you like the subtle changes in place for the LCI. They definitely lend a sharper / more aggressive look to the LCI compared to pre-LCI.

For me it was the other way around, i liked the smoother front without the newly introduced cut. and also the turn indicators, i thought keeping them towards the very corner of the headlight assembly was a nice departure from the E60 design. but now in the LCI, you cant opt for LED lights if you want that plus you get halogen bulbs.

only thing i miss is the option to get larger wheels with 528i. but before that i need to learn to drive properly, avoiding curbs and potholes.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 528i
Congrats - great read! Also just turned 30 and bought a very similar car - felt like I was reading my own post!! Love the positive review, makes me want to go to my garage to admire the quality of the car for a while!

Old 09-25-2013, 09:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535I & 2008 G35
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilH930 View Post
Congrats - great read! Also just turned 30 and bought a very similar car - felt like I was reading my own post!! Love the positive review, makes me want to go to my garage to admire the quality of the car for a while!
Congrats to all you 30 year olds! That is awesome to own such a fine car at that age. At 30 I was driving a Nissan Maxima - remember, Nissan called it the four door sports car? Today at 45, I got my first BMW and it is the best car I have ever owned.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph1201 View Post

For me it was the other way around, i liked the smoother front without the newly introduced cut. and also the turn indicators, i thought keeping them towards the very corner of the headlight assembly was a nice departure from the E60 design. but now in the LCI, you cant opt for LED lights if you want that plus you get halogen bulbs.
I agree that both are so beautiful . . . and just like different flavors of ice-cream they are all good! I have to say that the Pre-LCI Xenon Headlight cluster is far superior to the new Xenon Headlight cluster with halogen turn signal. I love that quick burst of light that our blinkers do . . . it's more than a turn signal - it really makes a statement that 'this car is different'.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilH930 View Post
Love the positive review, makes me want to go to my garage to admire the quality of the car for a while!
So true - best place to be! Mine doesn't get to the States until November - This wait is going to be an eternity!
Old 09-25-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeH View Post
Congrats to all you 30 year olds! That is awesome to own such a fine car at that age. At 30 I was driving a Nissan Maxima - remember, Nissan called it the four door sports car? Today at 45, I got my first BMW and it is the best car I have ever owned.
I am so humbled to able to have such a nice car. Its one of countless things I am grateful for.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:49 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to MoldCAD
Mein Auto: 528i xDrive
Speaking on what a 30-year-old could afford in Poland some 28 years ago: this is what my car then was And I considered myself extremely lucky (some would even say "rich"), lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fiat_125p_monte_carlo_640.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	398882  

Last edited by MoldCAD; 09-26-2013 at 03:52 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:31 AM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Thanks for the review. I have a question for you. I see you have the ventilated seats. Are the rear seats perforated to match the look, or is the leather solid without perforations?

Thanks
Old 09-26-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldCAD View Post
Speaking on what a 30-year-old could afford in Poland some 28 years ago: this is what my car then was And I considered myself extremely lucky (some would even say "rich"), lol.
AWESOME!! So true . . . I was the luckiest kid alive with my 1994 GMC Jimmy back in the day!! Thanks for sharing
Old 09-26-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
Thanks for the review. I have a question for you. I see you have the ventilated seats. Are the rear seats perforated to match the look, or is the leather solid without perforations?

Thanks
The ventilated seats are only for the front seats. Rear seats are completely smooth. I am a man of details, and honestly when my Car Specialist at the Welt opened the door I had to look close to make sure the car had 'em. The perforations are sooooo small (and perfectly done of course).
Old 09-26-2013, 08:09 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Well, let's be honest. BMW (and a few others) have revolutionized the leasing game in the last ten years, making all of these cars more attainable generally. We've also been getting help from the government in the form of super low APRs and money factors for the entirety of the consumer memory of a lot of the buying population - including our 30 year olds on this thread. I'm not being pejorative at all - I had a 2001 X5 at age 30 myself and was damn proud of it - but we're all getting some help from various sources here.

My Dad bought a 1984 Audi 5000S brand new. The interest rate on the loan was 16%.