Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: XB
In Canada and Motor gone after 77000 kms!!!

Well I am wondering where to turn too as I never bought this X5 thinking I would be replacing the motor after 77,000 kms!!!

I bought this car with 17000 kms on it from a dealership in Toronto. He brought it in from California and it had one owner. 3 months ago I went to go to work, it kind of started funny briefly and then I backed out went to put it in Park and the car shut off! So I took it too my mechanic that is suppose to specialize in BMW's and at first they told me it was a sensor.....3 weeks later it went to fuel injectors and that unfort BMW's have 6 and that would be 400 each. so I told them to get me a concrete price.....more weeks went by and then he called me 2 weeks ago and said he's never been so stuck on a vehicle and couldn't figure out what was wrong with it!!! he said he finally ripped it apart and its th engine is gone. So I was floored!!! He looked into engines and a used one is 13,000 without labour!!! So anyways yesterday I paid him a visit and took someone with me. He mentioned something about a few different things. I guess there are 2 bolts that are cracked right off. Anyways at this point I know BMW won't touch it cuz its a US vehicle, but could I take it to the states and it would be covered?? I really don't know what to do at this point.
Ads by Google
Old 09-26-2013, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Welcome to Bimmerfest! What year X5 do you have?

Tim
Old 09-26-2013, 08:42 AM

Hi there,
It is a 2011.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
I moved your question over to the E70 forum. If you have the warranty I would have it looked at by a dealership in the US. Can you be more specific about what is broken?

Tim
Old 09-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35D
If you are under the 4 year / 50 k mile limit, your warranty is still valid in Canada, despite it being a US vehicle.

Why indy shop did you use?

| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |
Old 09-26-2013, 09:27 AM

It has 77 kms, from what I have been told it's over by 7000 for canada?
Old 09-26-2013, 09:29 AM

^^ No, its valid till 80,000 KM or 4 years. The only thing is that free service is not honoured in Canada, but the warranty is valid. For 13k for a used engine, I'd tow it back to the US and have a US dealer fix it.

| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |
Old 09-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Put the engine back together and tow it to the US.

77k km = ~46k miles

Was it torn apart by a BMW dealer? The issue you will have is 'will BMW refuse the warranty as work was done in violation of the terms of the US warranty'

IMO you cannot bring a car to a us dealer with the engine out or in pieces....

When you say "dealership" do you mean "BMW Dealership" or "used car lot".

Check your legal options first, BEFORE making any contacts that could be mis-steps.

A
Old 09-26-2013, 09:49 AM

Thank you for your info. I have never taken it to the BMW Dealership here in London as they snubbed me the one time I went in to get regular service and treated me horrible cuz they knew I bought it in the states. So there is a mechanic in town that is 'known' for fixing BMW's. I took my X5 to him for my tires, oil changes etc. The engine is not apart as he wanted me to see where the 2 bolts snapped right in half. To be honest I think we can get away without a whole new motor, because when he told me about it my friend that was with me asked him if we could just get this part instead and the mechanic said I'm not sure if they will sell it seperate and it might be just as cheap to get the whole thing. I would never have taken it to the mechanic if I thought it was the motor, I just thought it was something simple.

The mechanic also told us he could just replace the 2 broken bolts but he wasn't certain how long it would last. But right now I told him to do that so I can try and get it to the states. I do know this guy is authorized though cuz he told me how he called BMW to see if they would honour the warranty im certain he said they wouldn't give even though I'm just over.

So I'm kind of at a lost, afraid of what to say in case I mess up any chances of getting this motor replaced but also wondering if the whole motor needs to be changed.

Thank you,
Nicki
Old 09-26-2013, 09:54 AM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs
Get the car to a real BMW dealer.
'11 Z4 - mojave over beige • 6 speed manual • Münich delivery

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Old 09-26-2013, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Put the engine back together and tow it to the US.
This. Even if you're just over in terms of mileage you might be able to get some goodwill coverage. At the dealer I wouldn't say anything about having an independent look at it or pull the engine out. Just describe the symptoms that lead up to the problems.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:40 AM

Thanks so much everyone! Should I just take it to a US dealer? I'm 45 min from Port Huron, or take it to the dealership that really doesn't give me the time of day because I bought in the states?
Old 09-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMNicki View Post
I do know this guy is authorized though cuz he told me how he called BMW to see if they would honour the warranty im certain he said they wouldn't give even though I'm just over.

So I'm kind of at a lost, afraid of what to say in case I mess up any chances of getting this motor replaced but also wondering if the whole motor needs to be changed.

Thank you,
Nicki
IMO you should NOT have spoken to BMW, nor had anyone else speak to BMW about a claim.

Once BMWNA looks at the VIN and sees "the car was in canada with motor damage" there is a high probability they will deny coverage.

Early on you need to pick a strategy-if you are going to have BMWUSA fix it, then STOP messing with partial fixes, asking canada, etc, etc...you are potentially ruining that path. If, on the other hand, you want to patch it up, then dont worry about bringing it to the US.

Cards close to the vest, understand your situation, then pick the strategy.

Finally, obviously, you saved $$$ buying a US car- now that savings will be paid back....sucks
Old 09-26-2013, 04:26 PM

^^ There is no reason that BMW Canada should deny his warranty if he is at 77K KM. Take the car to the closest dealership. If your warranty is still valid ask to speak to the service manager if you get the run around from the service advisor.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
^^ There is no reason that BMW Canada should deny his warranty if he is at 77K KM. Take the car to the closest dealership. If your warranty is still valid ask to speak to the service manager if you get the run around from the service advisor.
I thought BMW Canada would only warrant cars purchased from Canadian dealers, no?

You are correct, this is question #1 to get right!
Old 09-27-2013, 05:03 AM

^^ No, the warranty is valid in Canada too, the free maintenance is whats not valid.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:53 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Thx!

Op?
Old 09-27-2013, 08:09 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Thx!

Op?
Old 09-27-2013, 05:27 PM
X5///M & tuned X5d

Mein Auto: X5M/X5 35d/700hp G35
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Let's quote this again so no one mentions taking it to a US dealer. Like dragon said, put it back together and take it into the closest BMW dealership for warranty. It should have went to the dealership in the first place. When you call for an appointment do you tell them it's a US vehicle?? When I call to get mine in for warranty no one asks me where I bought the vehicle
Old 10-28-2013, 02:18 PM

Well I guess I was niave to the whole process and know better for next time. I thought for some reason when you purchased a vehicle in the US, it was not covered under warranty in Canada. So when my car just stopped working that day, I called up the BMW "authorized Dealer". I really thought it wasn't going to be anything major.

So to update, I finally got my car from this guy. and I had it towed to BMW. I never said anything about it being somewhere else. He called me then next day and said there are a few issues. First this car is coming up non warranty for some reason. Hes like I don't know if its because you bought it in the states or what it is but in any case someone has been into this engine as there are markings on it. So he said do you know of anyone as there is nothing come up on the bmw records. I guess the good news from all of this is that the motor is not gone, its just the sprocket. However the dilemma he told me is that the bolts that hold it together have come off. and they need to find them. He said they are hoping its in the oil pan, however if its not then it could turn into a lot of labour hours (30 approx.) to rip things apart to try to find them. I asked them if this is ever happened before , and he said yes he has although not often.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:40 PM

Mein Auto: x5 35d
The way to look at this issue is BMW canada wants you to pay them $500.00 initial to actually register with them. I had to go through the same thing .I live in vancouver and close to seattle. only half hr from the border. Phone a US dealer and ask them if they would honour the warranty. Just let them know that you are in transition of moving the vehicle from US to Canada.
I have still not paid BMW canada the five hundred that they wanted from me as I didn't need to. I have had warranty work done in Canada no problems. As far as your mechanic goes I don't know how much you trust him .Just 2 bolts broken and the whole engine is gone sounds fishy. good luck.http://s1.bimmerfest.com/forums/imag.../aim-angel.gif
Old 10-28-2013, 11:25 PM

Do you think the US will honour the warranty though if the engine looks like it's been messed up?
Old 10-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMNicki View Post
Do you think the US will honour the warranty though if the engine looks like it's been messed up?
no
Old 10-29-2013, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Let me get this straight... the X5's engine is taken apart to figure out what is causing the problem by a non BMW approved mechanic... and you are expecting BMW to honor a warranty?

How does this work?
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.