Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 09-25-2013, 07:54 PM
Axel

Mein Auto: BMW
Question CA Front License Plate

Has anyone here forgone the front license plate on their Z4 in California? How often, if ever have you been ticketed? Process for getting the fix-it ticket cleared?

The thought of defacing my new Z4 with that nasty thing just about kills me!
Ads by Google
Old 09-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35is
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikela View Post
Has anyone here forgone the front license plate on their Z4 in California? How often, if ever have you been ticketed? Process for getting the fix-it ticket cleared?

The thought of defacing my new Z4 with that nasty thing just about kills me!
I live in California and have had my car just over three years and haven't been cited yet. Don't know if it's just a fix-it ticket or a fine.
If I have to put it on I'll use double sided tape like they use for the front plates in Europe or find some other bracket that doesn't require drilling holes in the bumper. I've seen a bracket that connects to the front tow hook but it looks pretty bad.

2011 Z4 35is
2014 X3 28i
Old 09-26-2013, 10:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330i and Z4 sDrive35i
I've had my Z4 35is without a front plate for 3 years in San Diego without incident. I do keep the plate and bracket in the car in case the inevitable happens but I'm not worried. If you look around, many cars here don't wear the front plate.

Speaking of 3 years, my lease is up and my new 2014 Z4 35is is somewhere out in the Atlantic. Should be home in a few weeks. Once again, I do not plan on drilling any holes on the front bumper!

Old 02-20-2014, 12:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 sDrive35i
Lucky - WA horror story!

If it is of any use to folks finding this thread by search, I did end up purchasing a front plate that uses the front toe hook - it is a little ugly with the left offset appearance and does impact the front PDC at times, but the tickets stopped and I didn't have to drill into the bumper.

Back story: I'm jealous of how lucky you all are in California... I don't think WA police care much about the plate issue, but it is a source of revenue for parking here now.

So I've never been pulled over for plate problems but have received about $300 in parking tickets before I had to give in and put a plate on. At least in the city of Seattle, there is a $47 ticket for not having a front plate on a parked car... even if you've legitimately paid for parking.

I even tried leaving the plate in the window, other spots, etc... there are ticket violation codes for that, too.

As far as I can tell, this is never actually enforced... except for with my car. Clearly there's a specific meter maid who started recognizing my Z4 and has a grudge or something: often I'd come back to a ticket and sadly have to laugh at all the other cars without front plates that were not ticketed on the same block.

Past models:
  • 2008 335i ZMT - ZPP ZSP ZCW iDrive CA HD iPod
  • 2006 330i - 5/12/05 European Delivery - ZPP ZSP ZCW iDrive
Old 03-03-2014, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Z4 35i
Feel sorry for you guys. No front plate in Pa!
Old 03-04-2014, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
No front plate in NY - at least on my car! It's amazing how many cars don't have front plates, once you start looking.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 04-19-2014, 10:33 PM

Mein Auto: Beemer Soon!
If the front plate is the only infraction on the car (no tint, exhaust, loud music, etc...) The cops will probably leave you alone. If you are driving around after midnight-3am, the lack of a front plate gives them probable cause to pull you over to check if your sober. Or, if you get pulled over for speeding, running light er whatever.. They will probably write you up for no front plate also. The no front plate is a "fix it" ticket. Which means you have to "fix" the problem (mount the front plate), go to a police station, show proof to an officer and he signs off the ticket. Then you send it back to court pay $30, provide the signed off ticket then your done.

If you remove the plate AGAIN, and get written up a SECOND time for the same infraction you will pay the full fine of over $300.

Again, if your car is all stock besides removing the front plate, you dont drive like an Arse and dont break the law you shouldnt have a problem. Im in So-Cal San Diego.