Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 x-1
New 2014 X-1 in the shop already

I purchased my 2014 X-1, 3 months ago. Gas mileage was noticeably poor Emissions was poor "service engine soon" light came on yesterday with less than 4k on my car. Spent the morning in the shop. The fuel injector was faulty and they had to order a repalcement part Really? Already?
I had an X-5 before this no such problems with it so early on.
Not feeling 100 % confident in this vehicle
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi Q5 3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biminy View Post
I purchased my 2014 X-1, 3 months ago. Gas mileage was noticeably poor Emissions was poor "service engine soon" light came on yesterday with less than 4k on my car. Spent the morning in the shop. The fuel injector was faulty and they had to order a repalcement part Really? Already?
Oh for goodness sake...one failed injector and you're losing confidence in car??? Get over it. BMW didn't make the injectors, Bosch did. Hearing this, are you now going to lose faith in every car with Bosch injectors, or Bosch plugs, or Bosch TBs, or Bosch O2 sensors? Certainly not. Be glad you have an in-tact warranty and that the engine didn't spin a rod bearing. And be glad that you now likely know why your MPGs were "poor".

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
Recover
Rehab
Rehome
Rewarding
'13 X1 xDrive28i, Min. White, Sand, UP, LP, M-Sport, HK, Heated Seats, Satellite
Cross Bars
Invisihitch
Old 09-26-2013, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
...don't forget to avoid Bosch dishwashers too
Old 09-26-2013, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: E84
I got a Bosch coffee maker. It's been bulletproof.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i and BMW X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidc1 View Post
I got a Bosch coffee maker. It's been bulletproof.
Love using our Bosch Washer and Dryer ;-)
Old 09-26-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbercasio View Post
Love using our Bosch Washer and Dryer ;-)
Had to go with LG myself...Asian stuff soooo much more reliable...what with the NGK electrics and such

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
Recover
Rehab
Rehome
Rewarding
'13 X1 xDrive28i, Min. White, Sand, UP, LP, M-Sport, HK, Heated Seats, Satellite
Cross Bars
Invisihitch
Old 09-26-2013, 01:19 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
I am using Bosch windshield wiper blades. Should I worry?

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
I am using Bosch windshield wiper blades. Should I worry?
Nah, they're just rebranded Trico

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
Recover
Rehab
Rehome
Rewarding
Cross Bars
Invisihitch
Old 09-26-2013, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i
Re: New 2014 X-1 in the shop already

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
Oh for goodness sake...one failed injector and you're losing confidence in car??? Get over it. BMW didn't make the injectors, Bosch did. Hearing this, are you now going to lose faith in every car with Bosch injectors, or Bosch plugs, or Bosch TBs, or Bosch O2 sensors? Certainly not. Be glad you have an in-tact warranty and that the engine didn't spin a rod bearing. And be glad that you now likely know why your MPGs were "poor".
+1

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-26-2013, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: '13 X1 35
man i am scared.... 40% of the parts in our X1 are bosch.....
Old 09-26-2013, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 XDrive X1 28i
Don't be hatin' on Bosch...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The-Last-Judgement-(detail-of-a-man-being-eaten-by-a-monster)-c.1504-small.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	399047  
Old 09-26-2013, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: Mazda

Have you lost faith in Chris Bosh too?

Old 09-27-2013, 09:43 AM
2014 X1 VO

Mein Auto: X1 x28i
Curious.. what was your poor mileage? And what was noticeable about your emissions that you say "poor emissions"?
Old 09-28-2013, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: Cars and trucks and boats
Quote:
Do not feel bad that you are not 100% confident in this vehicle...You did not say you were not confident in BMW or X1, just your vehicle.

I agree with you...For get the petty bashers and fools that slammed your concerns. I had a MB that started exhibiting several minor problems that grew into larger concerns that MB finally resolved by buying back the car...

You expressed your concerns about your vehicle. It should not need an injector with only 4,000. You should be concerned. Production of parts like injectors should be bulletproof. they are made by machines and should be uniform in production and operation.

After all, all you have is the BMW SA or tech telling you it was a bad injector...All they do is hook a computer to your car and will just replace the first thing that the computer tells them to replace...and hope this will worl... otherwise they will just keep on replacing modules...

I would be concerned that there could be some other injectors perhaps failing as well...

Best of luck with getting your X1 fixed...Forget about the fools who bashed you for being concerned.

Last edited by cwickberg; 09-28-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i
Re: New 2014 X-1 in the shop already

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwickberg View Post
Do not feel bad that you are not 100% confident in this vehicle...You did not say you were not confident in BMW or X1, just your vehicle.

I agree with you...For get the petty bashers and fools that slammed your concerns. I had a MB that started exhibiting several minor problems that grew into larger concerns that MB finally resolved by buying back the car...

You expressed your concerns about your vehicle. It should not need an injector with only 4,000. You should be concerned. Production of parts like injectors should be bulletproof. they are made by machines and should be uniform in production and operation.

After all, all you have is the BMW SA or tech telling you it was a bad injector...All they do is hook a computer to your car and will just replace the first thing that the computer tells them to replace...and hope this will worl... otherwise they will just keep on replacing modules...

I would be concerned that there could be some other injectors perhaps failing as well...

Best of luck with getting your X1 fixed...Forget about the fools who bashed you for being concerned.
I don't think it's accurate to say that anything produced by a machine is bulletproof. No matter the manufacturer, parts will sometimes be faulty. What matters is the percentage of defective parts. Bosch has a reputation for having extremely good quality control, but like anything it's not perfect. I don't believe anybody was bashing, rather they were trying to convey the feeling that losing confidence because a part is faulty is kind of silly. I mean it doesn't really matter when it fails, BMW owners always complain and are outraged that their car wasn't built up to spec. I agree that we all think that we've bought a vehicle that should be held up to slightly higher standards, but any semi automated process can AND will have defects. This goes for every single product that ends up making up an even more complicated amalgamation of said devices and parts.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-29-2013, 06:42 AM
BJB

Mein Auto: X1

Lets look at this a different way. If it were any of us we would be equally upset.
Did the dealer say if it was manufacturing defect or fuel related? Even if Bosch is a 6 sigma operation,it s****s to be the outlier.
Do you only use brand name gasoline?

Old 10-02-2013, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: Cars and trucks and boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by exozune View Post
I don't think it's accurate to say that anything produced by a machine is bulletproof. No matter the manufacturer, parts will sometimes be faulty. What matters is the percentage of defective parts. Bosch has a reputation for having extremely good quality control, but like anything it's not perfect. I don't believe anybody was bashing, rather they were trying to convey the feeling that losing confidence because a part is faulty is kind of silly. I mean it doesn't really matter when it fails, BMW owners always complain and are outraged that their car wasn't built up to spec. I agree that we all think that we've bought a vehicle that should be held up to slightly higher standards, but any semi automated process can AND will have defects. This goes for every single product that ends up making up an even more complicated amalgamation of said devices and parts.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using BimmerApp mobile app
While agree about mechanical parts, etc. the issue is a failure after only 10% of the warranty miles and the likelyhood that the "failed injector" is the real problem or could be related to something else... I've had cars in the dealership ( BMW, MB, etc.) that were diagnosed and fixed with one "problem" only to discover later that it was something else...

I had a MB ML 320 that was diagnosed with a bad injector 30 days after I took delivery... three strandings on the side of the road and 3 months later they replaced the fuel pump, that lead toother issues that ultimately led to MB buy back...

Just trying to give the OP some help here because it seems like everyone was bashing him for "crying" about one bad part...
Old 10-02-2013, 07:55 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Bosch dishwashers are the most awesome dishwashers around. Had one in my former house and I miss it dearly.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 10-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Ot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
Bosch dishwashers are the most awesome dishwashers around. Had one in my former house and I miss it dearly.
Agree: have one in both our houses.
There are others that may now be as good, but the Bosch... did have to replace the soap dispenser after 8 years.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: X1 sDrive28i
My "injector" doesn't work all the time but my wife hasn't lost faith in me
Old 11-30-2013, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 Sdrive28i
Quote:
Biminy - you're not alone. My '14 X1 Sdrive 28i was towed to the dealer this morning with "Service Engine Soon" indicator lit (last night the flashing engine symbol was lit up so I parked it). Got a voice mail this afternoon indicating that ALL injectors had to be replaced after only 3600 miles.

I am very surprised this has occurred but glad they're replacing all of them instead of a piece meal repair. It's possible Bosch had a bad run of injectors with out of spec metal formulation. Who knows?

FYI - I only use Shell fuel because my neighbor, a mechanical lubricant engineer, indicated it has the highest level of detergents (premium grade has the highest percentage). My X1 hadn't reached the advertised 24mpg in town--even using EcoPro Mode--and this week it started idling rough. Maybe this repair will take care of both issues. I also read in another forum that this might have something to do with usage of the EcoPro Mode, but that remains to be proven.

Good luck with the rest of your injectors!
Old 12-01-2013, 07:37 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i Convertible
Apparently Biminy signed on to this website just to lodge this single complaint and has now disappeared. I guess he is not 100% confident in our opinions.
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red)
2013 MINI Cooper Coupe (red)
2014 Ford Fusion (grey)
Old 12-02-2013, 10:02 AM
2014 X1 VO

Mein Auto: X1 x28i
I'm still curious what the "noticably bad gas miliage" was. I'm not getting the best and no one in the miliage threads drives as i do.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:51 AM
BMW bike whore

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1
Just got our X1 yesterday after bringing her into the shop on Saturday. Two ( number 3&4) injectors along with two spark plugs replaced along with 2 decouplers. ( whatever they are and do) I thought my issues where due to the recall but happy it wasn't. Car has less than 7k on the odometer, hope the other two injectors don't decide to crap out.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: X1
Well it is one simple problem under warranty. As long as they are paying for it what difference does it make?

My last car a Volvo XC90 had zero issues until 85,000 miles and then it had the issue of the month. So it seemed super realiable for the first 5 years and then it was 1000 a month problem.