Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-26-2013, 12:36 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Siri Hands-free on 2014 - anyone using it?

Apparently the 2014 models have enabled Siri with a long-press of the voice command button. Short press = bmw voice command, long-press = Siri.

Has anyone been using this?

If so have they integrated the Siri interface (where it shows you what you said and asks you to confirm) into iDrive, or do you just get the Siri voice?

If it includes some sort of visual display then it would effectively enable you to send and reply to texts using Siri.

If you are using it - please post a video?

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i
Re: Siri Hands-free on 2014 - anyone using it?

I have a 2014 f30 but no iPhone. Have an android but seems like iPhone has better integration with the system. Im trying to get one iPhone 5 for cheap but they're hard to come by. Will post if it happens

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-26-2013, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 M6 Coupe
All of the hardware is in the 14's, and yes it works, sort of. I have been told that the 'eyes free' update is in the spring and will be a no cost upgrade for all 14's.

Right now, all you see on the iDrive screen is a 'Stop' selection to terminate Siri interaction, and all through Siri voice. Sometimes the voice is through iDrive, sometimes just through your iPhone, so until the new software more of a curiosity.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: 5 Series F10 2012 Model
Siri seems to work absolutely fine on my 535D. Have tested it out quite a bit.

Sent text messages.
Read my calendar appointments
Checked weather
Asked for movie listings
etc....

All in all, it works as advertised - I was actually quite impressed.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:15 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
Siri seems to work absolutely fine on my 535D. Have tested it out quite a bit.

Sent text messages.
Read my calendar appointments
Checked weather
Asked for movie listings
etc....

All in all, it works as advertised - I was actually quite impressed.
Now this is odd. It doesn't work at all on the 2013 models. When you say it works are you just activating it by pressing the button on the phone, or through the steering wheel? Please describe how you use it?

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 09-26-2013, 10:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535dx; 2013 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
Now this is odd. It doesn't work at all on the 2013 models. When you say it works are you just activating it by pressing the button on the phone, or through the steering wheel? Please describe how you use it?
I think it only works on the 2014s
Current2014 535d xDrive Imperial Blue|Amaro Brown Ext Merino|M Sport|Cold Weather|4-Zone|Driver Assistance|Driver Assistance Plus with ACC Stop & Go|Dynamic Handling Package|LED Pkg|Luxury Seating|Premium Package|Sport Automatic Transmission|Soft-Close doors|Sunshades|HK Premium Sound|Night Vision
2013 X5 35i TiAg/Blk
Past 2007 530i/6|2002 X5 4.4i|2000 540i/6|1999 M Roadster|1989 535iA|1984 533i/5|1983 533i/5|1977 530i/4
Old 09-27-2013, 08:57 AM

So after reading gspannu's response I went back and played with it a bit, found out that the volume setting for the Nav voice is the same volume setting used for Siri's voice. Mine was set to zero. My iPhone usually sits in a cradle or my pocket so it's difficult at times to know where you are in a process.

For instance, push and hold the steering wheel voice button, iDrive screen puts up a background icon and a stop selection. I tell Siri to send a message to my wife, Siri responds I can do that, what would you like to say, I resond with the message and then the iDrive screen clears back to where it was. Look at the iPhone and the message is set to send but with a cancel and send button. I wasn't prompted for that.

More than likely something I'm not doing right.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:50 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjayfan View Post
So after reading gspannu's response I went back and played with it a bit, found out that the volume setting for the Nav voice is the same volume setting used for Siri's voice. Mine was set to zero. My iPhone usually sits in a cradle or my pocket so it's difficult at times to know where you are in a process.

For instance, push and hold the steering wheel voice button, iDrive screen puts up a background icon and a stop selection. I tell Siri to send a message to my wife, Siri responds I can do that, what would you like to say, I resond with the message and then the iDrive screen clears back to where it was. Look at the iPhone and the message is set to send but with a cancel and send button. I wasn't prompted for that.

More than likely something I'm not doing right.
Thanks. This is helpful.

In this instance if you press the button again and say send, then what happens?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 09-28-2013, 01:50 AM

Mein Auto: 5 Series F10 2012 Model
Quote:
I am using this in the 2014 LCI model, UK 535D built July 2013. I do a long press on the steering wheel button and Siri gets activated, a short steering wheel button press goes to Car voice prompt.

So, for example to send a message to someone. I long press the steering wheel button, the I drive screen changes, i hear the familiar Siri prompt tone through car speakers. I speak out, "send a message to my wife". Siri responds with " OK. I can send send a message to xxxx. What would you like to say". I respond back (no button presses) with my message content "Reaching in 20 minutes". Siri responds back "Ready to send message". I respond back "Yes". Siri responds "sent a message to xxxx". Siri then times out...
I only need to do a long press of the steering wheel once to initiate the process an then just continue.
In effect, it works exactly as it would on the iPhone directly. The long press on the iPhone is replaced by a long press on the steering wheel.

Hope the above helps...
Old 09-28-2013, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535 x Drive
Quote:
I am using this in the 2014 LCI model, UK 535D built July 2013. I do a long press on the steering wheel button and Siri gets activated, a short steering wheel button press goes to Car voice prompt.

So, for example to send a message to someone. I long press the steering wheel button, the I drive screen changes, i hear the familiar Siri prompt tone through car speakers. I speak out, "send a message to my wife". Siri responds with " OK. I can send send a message to xxxx. What would you like to say". I respond back (no button presses) with my message content "Reaching in 20 minutes". Siri responds back "Ready to send message". I respond back "Yes". Siri responds "sent a message to xxxx". Siri then times out...
I only need to do a long press of the steering wheel once to initiate the process an then just continue.
In effect, it works exactly as it would on the iPhone directly. The long press on the iPhone is replaced by a long press on the steering wheel.

Hope the above helps...
Yep used it today. Nice little feature.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
In this instance if you press the button again and say send, then what happens?
So I happened to look and my 4s was running iOS 5.1.1, I really don't use my iPhone for anything more than a phone (gift from my wife, sort of have to use it). Upgraded to 7.0.2 and the Siri interface works incredibly well, I'm surprised it worked as well as it did on the old OS.

I'll have to say that using Siri as the primary phone interface in the car is a great deal easier than the iDrive, and when numbers are busy to people that habitually talk too long on the phone the ability to send a text without looking/pushing at anything is an added bonus.

So thanks to gspannu for the motivation, and stealth.pilot for the thread.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Search your address book for 'Voice Control'; save it in one of the pre-sets. Now you have the same feature as the 2014's.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:56 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldrush781 View Post
Search your address book for 'Voice Control'; save it in one of the pre-sets. Now you have the same feature as the 2014's.
Whoa this sounds interesting, however I don't see Voice Control in my iPhone address book. Please can you spell out what you did here in more detail and then describe the use case?

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 09-29-2013, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
+1 Can you please explain this more thoroughly?

Thanks!
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 09-30-2013, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 535xi

++1 further explanation please. Couldn't find an alternate way to access voice control.

2013 535xi Carbon Black on Cinnamon Brown w/ Anthracite Wood, M-Sport, Cold Weather, Premium, Drivers Assistance, Tech, Sport Auto Trans., Multi-Contour Seats, Premium Hifi (Ordered 12/22, Finished Production 1/16, Took Delivery 2/18)

2004 E60 545i Silver Grey on Black, 6-Spd, Sport, Cold Weather, L7, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, 30% tint all around (Sold)
Old 09-30-2013, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Re: Siri Hands-free on 2014 - anyone using it?

Since my BMW is being a bitch with my android and Bluetooth issues I'm gonna have to get the iPhone 5s now.

Sir I features sound awesome and since mines a 2014 I hope it will be a great experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-30-2013, 01:57 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:

Hope the above helps...
That's amazing. I can't even send a text message back to someone via iDrive with my crappy GS3.

Ordered: Porsche Macan S / SportDesign.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350 "Sport", '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: Everglades 243
Can someone with a 14 send me their config files, so I can figure out how to code this?
Old 10-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Mr. Onyx

Mein Auto: 2012 5351
Iphone 5 Integration Problem (F10 2012)

Does anyone besides me have a problem with Siri in a 2012? When I got the car in Nov '12 Siri worked fine. Later I discovered it didn't after a S/W upgrade. I was able to press the voice command button and say "Call person". done deal, now when I say "call" it ask "who" and most of the time it gets it wrong. Second question to this is; is the 2013-14 s/w CIC S/W compatible to the previous years F10? I drove a 2014 yesterday as a loaner and "Boy!" is the S/W interface different!
Old 10-03-2013, 09:05 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to MoldCAD
Mein Auto: 528i xDrive
So does Siri work in pre-LCI at all? If so, how - what am I missing?

Old 10-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Chitown traveller

Mein Auto: 535i X-Drive
Siri works on my 2013 if you press and hold the button ON THE PHONE while connected to the USB and paired via bluetooth. It comes on the Car speakers and will give you weather, stock quotes or whatever answer you're looking for or appointments you're scheduling.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk22 View Post
Siri works on my 2013 if you press and hold the button ON THE PHONE while connected to the USB and paired via bluetooth. It comes on the Car speakers and will give you weather, stock quotes or whatever answer you're looking for or appointments you're scheduling.
Same, but how can we activate siri by pushing a button in the car instead of on the phone?

I know it sounds trivial but it's nice to get in the car and go without taking your phone or keys out of your pockets.

2013 535xi Carbon Black on Cinnamon Brown w/ Anthracite Wood, M-Sport, Cold Weather, Premium, Drivers Assistance, Tech, Sport Auto Trans., Multi-Contour Seats, Premium Hifi (Ordered 12/22, Finished Production 1/16, Took Delivery 2/18)

2004 E60 545i Silver Grey on Black, 6-Spd, Sport, Cold Weather, L7, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, 30% tint all around (Sold)
Old 10-03-2013, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sport Package

My 2011 has the voice commands.

BMWCCA Member #458528 www.bmwcca.org

"If Things Seem Under Control, You're Not Going Fast Enough"
Mario Andretti
Old 10-03-2013, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528 i
Iphone 4s integration into office module

I have a 2012 528i and been trying to get my emails downloaded, dealer and BMW are saying 4S is not compatible, any ideas or suggestions ?
Thank you.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:15 PM
550 XI M Sport F10

Mein Auto: 550 xi Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldrush781 View Post
Voice control on the car? Or on the phone?

2011 550i Xdrive, Sophisto Grau, Anthracite/Black Dakota, Active/ventilated seats, Cold Weather, Convenience, M Sport, P2, SAT, HUD, top and side view cameras, power rear sunshade, split fold down seat, comfort access, SAT Radio, rear view camera, 35% window 3M tint, Dinan Stage 1 (soon)