Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 535xi
Siri Hands-free on 2014 - anyone using it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvaria View Post
if you have the time:

It's not a joke. I hope you never find yourself on either side of this type of deal. What ever it is, it can wait until you stop.
Clicked on the link but don't have that much time right now.

I think I'm being misunderstood here. I understand the major concerns with texting and driving. And I am a huge advocate of cracking down on that as well as hand held phone calls. I almost never text and drive (exception being at traffic lights). I do however use siri and voice commands which I believe are much safer.

I do not feel that using the idrive is as dangerous as texting unless you're going deep into the menus or are not familiar with the software.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
2013 535xi Carbon Black on Cinnamon Brown w/ Anthracite Wood, M-Sport, Cold Weather, Premium, Drivers Assistance, Tech, Sport Auto Trans., Multi-Contour Seats, Premium Hifi (Ordered 12/22, Finished Production 1/16, Took Delivery 2/18)

2004 E60 545i Silver Grey on Black, 6-Spd, Sport, Cold Weather, L7, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, 30% tint all around (Sold)

Last edited by rparik01; 10-15-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 ; 2002 Wrangler;
Re: Siri Hands-free on 2014 - anyone using it?

I understand what you are saying. It only takes a second to make a mess of things. Idrive does make it safer. But it can be just as bad when you get all caught up in it. But it can wait.

You are better of just double tappibg the home buttom on the phone and using voice commands like "read my text/email" and "reply..."

if you take someone out with your car, you may never get over it.

I crashed into a minivan because I was screwing around with my phone.. road was clear, looked away, looked back at the road - instant honda odyssey. Boom! only took two seconds. Caused 9k in damage to my car and 5k to the van. The woman in side was fine... and still got 4k from my insurance company.

I dont even use hands free anymore after that. Phone stays on my hip/in suit jacket pocket/ or console. I thank god nobody got hurt

sent from my mind. Mentoc the Mindtaker

Last edited by Cvaria; 10-15-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Ok. To each his own.

I had an iphone and kept it for 4 hours....4 hours.... it took only 4 hours for me to be fed up with it. And I was coming from a blackberry... that says a lot.

The s3 was an amazing phone though. I had it before I moved to the s4. Should have kept it. Outside of the better feel in hand/ergonomics and larger screen. There is not a huge difference vbetween them. If I were you, id think twice about jumping back into the apple flock.

For the record, I do hate apple stuff. Its outdated, restrictive, limited functionality, and has a condescending interface. Perfect for moms, grandparents, babies, and morons. 5 generations and still no removable battery, external storage, side-loading, standard micro usb, and on and.... why?

Why would you knowingly pay for something that is less capable that most phones on the market? Just to say "I have an iphoneX^2" . If your bmw was less reliable and performed worse tgat a corolla, woukd you have bought it anyway.. just to say "I have a bmw"

Wake up. You have one of the best phones on the market. Stop crying. Learn to use it. Google Now blows Siri out of the water.

You know, I'm convinced that those who claim the S3 is the "best" anything are brainwashed by Samsung's RECORD setting marketing budget.

I think it's a piece of junk, the phone never ceases to amaze me in how crude and lousy it's engineered, how much bloatware holds it back, how lazy it is, how it clearly isn't fluidly mated to Android in the way iPhone and iOS are together, how cheap it feels, how horrible the regressive PenTile AMOLED display which is terrible at accurate color reproduction, how much it crashes via Apps or even freezes on its own. These are all very common issues people have with S3's, though it seems most who are used to Apple products are the ones who can really point it out and realize it.

There's no comparison in smoothness compared to an iPhone, none. And the Galaxy S4 is such a small difference from the S3 as you stated, that apparently it isn't even selling all so well (while Apple is selling every 5S it can make and and I believe still out of stock at many stores).

That attitude of "wake up" from overzealous Android fans is what gets me. It's one thing if you love it more, but don't assume Apple users are "asleep", it makes it look as if you have a giant chip on your shoulder and are simply a fanboy. I've had an iPhone, now I have the S3, I think the latter is crap, I miss the former but want a larger screen. Simple as that.

Ordered: 2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign.

Ex MB's: 11/10/06 E350 "Sport", 02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 10-15-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:05 PM

Ok. Enjoy you iphone when you get another one. They made a bigger screen. ... (longer stupid screen) with the 5. Im sure there's someone out there that will trade you.

I will never buy another apple ios device... condescending crap. I even grew to hate my ipad because it was so restricted and useless for anything other than playing on the Internet or running some closed cloud system. You literally HAVE to jailbreak thay "stuff" to get any usability out of it. Ifile and all that type of stuff is not available without jailbreaking.... no file access... nothing... just itunes.

We are just two different types of users. You like the mindlessness, restrictions, and disrespectful UI. I can't tolerate it. I almost threw my iPhone out of my car window. Everything you complained about can be changed. You just want the simplicity of the iphone and not having to worry about all that. Like steve jobs said " it just works" and thats okay.
The s3 is an incredible phone. That bloatware you are talking about can be removed with titanium backup. Most of it was put there by you carrier. Not samsung. If you want some help with it, will happily help you out.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:15 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Ok. Enjoy you iphone when you get another one. They made a bigger screen. ... (longer stupid screen) with the 5. Im sure there's someone out there that will trade you.

I will never buy another apple ios device... condescending crap. I even grew to hate my ipad because it was so restricted and useless for anything other than playing on the Internet or running some closed cloud system. You literally HAVE to jailbreak thay "stuff" to get any usability out of it. Ifile and all that type of stuff is not available without jailbreaking.... no file access... nothing... just itunes.

We are just two different types of users. You like the mindlessness, restrictions, and disrespectful UI. I can't tolerate it. I almost threw my iPhone out of my car window. Everything you complained about can be changed. You just want the simplicity of the iphone and not having to worry about all that. Like steve jobs said " it just works" and thats okay.
The s3 is an incredible phone. That bloatware you are talking about can be removed with titanium backup. Most of it was put there by you carrier. Not samsung. If you want some help with it, will happily help you out.

You sound delusional when it comes to these products, hateful and spiteful, not to mention condescending with no merit to that. It's just a phone, get over it. Move on.

I did LOL when you said my S3 is an "incredible phone". I guess we have different ways of judging what warrants the tag "incredible" or anything near that.

Ordered: 2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign.

Ex MB's: 11/10/06 E350 "Sport", 02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 10-15-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: '12 335i
Take it easy guys. We're BMW enthusiasts here not Apple and Android fanboys. I own and use both and can fairly say they both have their strengths and weaknesses. Galaxies have their large useful screens and true multitasking while iphones offer a more reliable and polished OS, and much better integration with most cars. I keep my iphone 4S in the car though because it is better integrated and I REALLY need the big screen of my S4.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:38 PM

Because you like simple. Like i said I can help make your time with it enjoyable... if youd stop going on about what it is not and how it has wronged you

Last edited by Cvaria; 10-15-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i
Sooooo. No SIRI via the steering wheel button for pre-LCI cars. Correct? Can we pay for the upgrade, or is it just not available?

For those wondering about SMS and email. If you have the latest iDrive update, you can receive SMS to your car when the SMS comes while you are in the car and the car is on. The only way to receive email is to follow these instructions from f30post:

1. Turn on "Office" under Telephone > Bluetooth settings in iDrive.

2. In the iPhone go to Settings > Messages and make sure notifications are on, change the number of notifications and show in lock screen

3. In the iPhone go to Settings > Bluetooth and click on the BMW link and make sure "show on screen" is selected.

4. Go to notifications--> mail--> turn on 'show on lock screen'

Last edited by cbdoc; 10-16-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 M6 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdoc View Post
Sooooo. No SIRI via the steering wheel button for pre-LCI cars. Correct? Can we pay for the upgrade, or is it just not available?
HW change, July 2013 builds onward I have been told.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535 X Drive M Sport
I'm so confused. My 2013 (April build) is on its way. Will I be able to read text messages and emails on the iDrive screen?
Old 11-08-2013, 02:34 AM

Mein Auto: F10 520D M Sport 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjayfan View Post
HW change, July 2013 builds onward I have been told.
Look at the thread in the coding section - you can have SIRI hands-free with the Pro Nav on pre-2013 cars.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matg28 View Post
Look at the thread in the coding section - you can have SIRI hands-free with the Pro Nav on pre-2013 cars.
I've seen that thread, yes it works, no it's not coding the car, it's flashing at least one module, NBT, with software that throws errors generated by HW differences.

Everyone can make their own decisions on that.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:06 AM

Mein Auto: F10 520D M Sport 2013
Not everyone gets errors - perhaps you should read a little more carefully before stating things :-)

I was just saying that it is possible, and where to look to find out how to do it.

I'll butt out now, as it seems there's a level of agro in here.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matg28 View Post
I'll butt out now, as it seems there's a level of agro in here.
No agro, just a statement of risk, and that everyone should make their own decision.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
I've used Siri several times on iPhone 5s and MY 2014. It's nice to have hands free access to information that Siri provides as well as a hands free way of responding. However it's of limited use in that in only works (in my case) when the phone is unlocked.

Interesting case just happened. I asked "Where's my phone" and it responded "I'm sorry Ernest, I can't do that while you are driving".
Old 11-12-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
However it's of limited use in that in only works (in my case) when the phone is unlocked.
If you turn 'auto lock' to never that will solve it, and yes, that may not be an option for a variety of reasons.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
If you turn 'auto lock' to never that will solve it, and yes, that may not be an option for a variety of reasons.
I think that just underlines "of limited use". I think not using auto lock is a security issue and power compromise many are unwilling to make and remembering to turn it off getting in the car and turning it back on makes it, well, of limited use… aka limited to those willing to do all that or leave auto lock off.

Pity, iDrive can place a call and stream music without it being unlocked. I hope a fix to iOS or iDrive comes along that gets rid of the restriction.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: F11 520xdAT -14
I have an iPhone 5 which is locked with the auto lock feature and Siri still works on my lci F11 520xdT.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorban View Post
I have an iPhone 5 which is locked with the auto lock feature and Siri still works on my lci F11 520xdT.
Interesting. My usage is all over Bluetooth. I'm on iOS 7.0.3. Are you using it over Bluetooth or USB? What iOS are you on?
Old 11-13-2013, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
Quote:
There used to be an option on the iPhone to use Siri from the lock screen. If that still exists and were enabled, wouldn't it solve this problem?
Old 11-13-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
There used to be an option on the iPhone to use Siri from the lock screen. If that still exists and were enabled, wouldn't it solve this problem?
It's still there, there are some odd circumstances among having a passcode enabled or not, the auto-lock setting, and as you noted the various combinations of what is allowed when the phone is locked. Generally a way to find a way to do what you want.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
There used to be an option on the iPhone to use Siri from the lock screen….
That works beautifully. Awesome. Thanks. Siri is much more useful now. The phone is a little less secure but worth it for me. YMMV
Old 11-13-2013, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
Yeah, someone can pick up your locked phone, wake up Siri and say something like "Call me stupid."
Old 11-14-2013, 03:43 AM

Security is a moving target but the usefulness of Siri with iDrive is inversely related to Apple removing capability in order to close security holes. The more they remove function, the less useful. Right now, reading and sending text messages, accessing the calendar and making phone calls via address book are accessible from the unlock screen by both iDrive and anyone who gets their hands on your lost or stolen or "borrowed" phone. Emails cannot be accessed. The more Apple locks out functions, the less useful it becomes with iDrive when unlocked.

Here's a Facetime exploit to get past the lock screen:
http://ios.wonderhowto.com/how-to/pa...sages-0148844/
Old 11-14-2013, 05:40 AM

Apple = fisher price. Siri is actually pretty bad.

Those are my random and unsolicited, wack, unreasonable, and extremely biased opinions.

I know you guys love your iphones.

Im just amazed tgat this threat is still going.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using BimmerApp mobile app