Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 11-08-2013, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: 14 x335i, 12 S4
DHP for Wife's X3???

Hi, new member, wife is just comming out of an 11 x5d and just ordered a 14 x3 35i with Tech, Premium, CWP, Stereo Upgrade, Top View...this is her car, i drive a 12 S4 and while i really want to add DHP to her x3 (its killing me), it's not mine and she doesnt really care about DHP as her x5 didnt have it.

Few questions to help me decide on DHP:

1. How does it do in the snow with Performance Control adding more rear wheel bias? Worse or no issue? Just moved to MA from AZ so easy to drive in Snow is important so she doesnt decorate it in the trees.
2. She cares about smooth ride/comfort as a priority, she had no issue with the non DHP during the test ride. For those with experience with both DHP and Non DHP, is the comfort mode that much more comfortable than the standard suspension...eg potholes,...also overall handling wise is non DHP that bad? eg it's still a BMW, and have to assume the x3 with more modern chassis will handle better than an 11 x5d in any event?

Of couse all of us "fast guys" lol i commute in my car 98% of the time so it doesnt really matter, want DHP, but from a wife's perspective does it really matter for "comfort" perspective only?
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2013, 08:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
If your wife doesnt want DHP, why waste your money? In my opinion, the 2011 X5 actually handles better than the F25, but the F25 rides smoother. DHP will not affect traction in the snow, if you want better traction, you will need snow tires. The X3 is not the best SUV in the snow, but then, the Q5 is not either, both of these SUVs are design for performance, not snow traction. I find the Audi and BMW sedans actaully better in the snow than their SUVs. Overall handling for a non DHP X3 is a bit better than the Q5, but the DHP option in the X3 will improve it quite a bit. DHP in comfort mode is about the same as the regular suspension, so there is no way for you to justify the DHP option to the wife
Old 11-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
DHP - a very big bang for little money - do it!

1- I live in DC and we had very little snow last year so I cannot really comment.
2. DHP Comfort vs. regular suspension - I tested many X3s and X5s with standard suspensions - as I recall there was not a significant difference in terms of smoothness.

That being said, DHP offers amazing flexibility. I am sure there will be a few times you will drive - and I assure you - you will thank me for urging you to check off the DHP box. In general, I consider my X3 M Sport 3.5 with DHP to be not only fast, fun and sporty, but also comfy and very utilitarian - a true BMW decathlon champ.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:29 PM

Mein Auto: Outback. Shopping for X3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
DHP - a very big bang for little money - do it!

1- I live in DC and we had very little snow last year so I cannot really comment.
2. DHP Comfort vs. regular suspension - I tested many X3s and X5s with standard suspensions - as I recall there was not a significant difference in terms of smoothness.

That being said, DHP offers amazing flexibility. I am sure there will be a few times you will drive - and I assure you - you will thank me for urging you to check off the DHP box. In general, I consider my X3 M Sport 3.5 with DHP to be not only fast, fun and sporty, but also comfy and very utilitarian - a true BMW decathlon champ.
I'm shopping for an X3 and deciding if I should have DHP, but after reading your reply, I'm a little confused, because your second point doesn't support your rave in the last paragraph. Sounds like that DHP provides flexibility? What is it at all?