Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 09-06-2004, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci M
Rattling noises...is it serious?

hey all,
i'm new to this...just signed up today, but i've been reading this newsgroup for the past few months. i just wanted to let everyone know that you guys have really maintained an excellent forum! this site has really guided me through my purchase...

I just bought an orient blue 330 Ci w/ M-sport package and i'm lovin it! however, i've been noticing some slight rattling noises coming from the bottom of my vehicle. the rattling only starts when i'm driving it for the first few metres after turning on my car...then it goes away. The odd thing is that this doesn't happen all the time. Should i be concerned?

bimmer chick
'04 330Ci M
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2004, 08:48 PM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Not quite sure what you mean by rattling...

Is it a manual or steptronic transmission in your car? If manual, perhaps it's clutch chatter? Does it go away once you're in motion and off of the clutch?

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 09-06-2004, 08:52 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
She says that it only happens for a little while after starting the car, so it sounds like something that takes a while to get properly lubed once the fluids are up to operating temp.

Old 09-06-2004, 08:58 PM

It's Steptronic transmission. The rattling noise starts when i am in motion, but then when i accelerate to about 3K rpms...the sound goes away. not sure if this is serious since the rattling is not constant...is there an explanation for this?

thx!
Old 09-06-2004, 09:00 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
Can you localize the noise any better? Does it sound like it's coming from under the engine, directly under the passenger compartment, or from under the rear of the car? Also, can you be more specific about what kind of "rattling" it is?

Old 09-06-2004, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operknockity
Can you localize the noise any better? Does it sound like it's coming from under the engine, directly under the passenger compartment, or from under the rear of the car? Also, can you be more specific about what kind of "rattling" it is?
It sounds like metal parts are clicking...and the noise appears to be coming from under the engine. I can only hear it when my window is down....so it's definitely external and beneath the car.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:42 PM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer chick
It sounds like metal parts are clicking...and the noise appears to be coming from under the engine. I can only hear it when my window is down....so it's definitely external and beneath the car.
Hmm... lifters making noise perhaps? What's your oil level at right now?

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 09-06-2004, 10:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 E46 330i
Shock's anti-drain down valve may be stuck open

If the noise only starts after you start moving and not with engine start-up, I'd say its not valve lifters. If its a dull "dok dok dok" sound rather than a sharp click, its probably your shocks priming themselves. This is common on cars that don't have shocks with anti-drain down valves in their shocks and is of no consequence. BMWs do have these valves, but they don't always work perfectly on all shocks.

The valve's only function in life is to keep the working cylinder in the shock full of oil by stopping it from draining under gravity when parked to prevent noise.

I would have someone ride with you that can hang out the window to try and identify where the sound is coming from and if it coincides with small road imperfections. If its a shock, the noise does not affect its damping performance in any way except for the first 5 strokes it takes to prime fully - at low vehicle speed.

So you have a little noise, that's not a big deal. If it gets louder or bothers you, ask your dealer to listen - you will probably have to park it for hours to reset the noise, so it may be difficult to duplicate.

Last edited by dynosor; 09-06-2004 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:48 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Another possibility is a rattle in the (cold) exhaust system....after it heats up a bit, everything expands, and the rattle stops.

Regards,
bob
Old 09-07-2004, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosor
If the noise only starts after you start moving and not with engine start-up, I'd say its not valve lifters. If its a dull "dok dok dok" sound rather than a sharp click, its probably your shocks priming themselves. This is common on cars that don't have shocks with anti-drain down valves in their shocks and is of no consequence. BMWs do have these valves, but they don't always work perfectly on all shocks.

The valve's only function in life is to keep the working cylinder in the shock full of oil by stopping it from draining under gravity when parked to prevent noise.

I would have someone ride with you that can hang out the window to try and identify where the sound is coming from and if it coincides with small road imperfections. If its a shock, the noise does not affect its damping performance in any way except for the first 5 strokes it takes to prime fully - at low vehicle speed.

So you have a little noise, that's not a big deal. If it gets louder or bothers you, ask your dealer to listen - you will probably have to park it for hours to reset the noise, so it may be difficult to duplicate.
Thanks! I'll take your suggestion...i'll have someone hang out the window to identify the sound. I'm sure it's not a major problem...but you've given me some useful knowledge.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob
Another possibility is a rattle in the (cold) exhaust system....after it heats up a bit, everything expands, and the rattle stops.

Regards,
bob
This could be a possiblity as well...the noise only starts when i'm in motion...and once the car is heated, the noise goes away.

Is this common? I've never experienced this before on other cars.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:11 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
This could be a possiblity as well...the noise only starts when i'm in motion...and once the car is heated, the noise goes away.

Is this common? I've never experienced this before on other cars.
This is one of those problems that could potentially have a hundred different causes....when you consider the complexity of today`s cars, with their *thousands* of inter-related mechanical and electronic parts, it`s bloody amazing that they work as well as they do....

Regards,
Bob
Old 09-17-2004, 10:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's the same noise that i hear too. Does it sound more like when you drive over dried up leaves..almost like a crackling noise right?

It only happens at very low speeds. When you're driving next to a sound wall, or in a parking garage, the sounds echos off the walls, so that is the only time you can hear it if you have your windows down. You can't hear it if you're out in the open.

I took it into the dealership, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

MY 2004 330ci
Old 09-18-2004, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samlee4444
I'm pretty sure it's the same noise that i hear too. Does it sound more like when you drive over dried up leaves..almost like a crackling noise right?

It only happens at very low speeds. When you're driving next to a sound wall, or in a parking garage, the sounds echos off the walls, so that is the only time you can hear it if you have your windows down. You can't hear it if you're out in the open.

I took it into the dealership, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

MY 2004 330ci
it sounds like the exact same problem...I guess we'll have to live with it. I only notice it in the same places that you mentioned...the noise doesn't bother me too much. as long as i know it's not serious...our models must've been made on the same assembly line.