Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-26-2013, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: 328I
Stock stereo not working when i switch on the headlights

Freaky electrical issue in E90/07 base model 70,000 miles. 6 years warranty is up and need to figure out a solution. The problem is when I turn on my headlights the stock stereo doesn’t work even the display doesn’t come up. This happens when the engine is on. Stereo works perfect when in the day time and also when the engine is not running.

Took it to a Local BMW service guys at charlotte, “Dynamic Auto Tune (DAT)”, who is specialized in this, but still not able to figure out the issue. Last update from DAT was, took all the data and sent for reviewal in England.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Venky
Ads by Google
Old 09-26-2013, 10:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Most likely a low battery.

Most likely a low battery.
If the battery is low the IBS system can turn non essential stuff off.
Read about ibs in the link below.

http://www.bawarec.ru/manuals/3er/e9...3er-e90-12.pdf

That's the first thing to check. Get out the voltmeter.
Try giving the battery a slow charge to see if the problem goes away.
6 years is usually as much as you get from a battery in this model.
And when they go bad strange stuff happens this is usually is accompanied
by long cranks. On a new a battery the car will start almost instantly.

There also could be something faulty with the IBS.
Normally the IBS only turns stuff off when the engine is not
running.

There was also that power cable recall for the main fuse box in the cabin did
you have that done or was it necessary for you year and month build. I would
check that also.

Last edited by ctuna; 09-26-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
well if you take it to Hendrix BMW on Independance, you best do a walk around your car before you leave, they have chipped the paint on my car twice, and I have only taken it there twice,
Old 09-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: '06 E90 325i '07 E92 328i

Don't quite know how these radios are wired... On my previous car, issues with the wire that came into the head unit to dim the screen and turn on the button backlighting would sometimes cause the radio to turn off. Could be something similar?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-10-2013, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: 328I
Quote:
Originally Posted by venky5000 View Post
Freaky electrical issue in E90/07 base model 70,000 miles. 6 years warranty is up and need to figure out a solution. The problem is when I turn on my headlights the stock stereo doesn’t work even the display doesn’t come up. This happens when the engine is on. Stereo works perfect when in the day time and also when the engine is not running.

Took it to a Local BMW service guys at charlotte, “Dynamic Auto Tune (DAT)”, who is specialized in this, but still not able to figure out the issue. Last update from DAT was, took all the data and sent for reviewal in England.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Venky
-----

The problem still persists, the data had been collected couple of times and sent to England. Paid $600 for gasket leak and tensioner replaced.

But I just recollect what I did 3 weeks back to my car, I had increased the lighting of the interior dashboard, accidentally remembered it and reduced it to 3 points, stereo is working now… Temporally issue resolved. Will keep you posted and thanks for all your advise.

Thanks
Venky
Old 10-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: '06 E90 325i '07 E92 328i

If that's working, I'd suggest not messing with it. It's much cheaper than having someone stabbing around trying to diagnose it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-11-2013, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by venky5000 View Post

Yes! Very wise. Anyone who has a history with British cars knows how very well they deal with electrical issues.

Clearly this is a capacitor problem - simply put, your supply of electrons is insufficient to run both the headlamps and the stereo when the engine is drawing electrical load. BMW preferentially supplies the headlamps & engine as a safety measure.

9 times out of 10 it is the Flux Capacitor. That's a special design component - the guys at DAT may not have the expertise to fix it. Recommend you contact your BMW dealer asking for a resolution - I believe dealers carry an inventory of Flux Capacitors.