Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-27-2013, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: e46/ Mustang GT
Opinions on e90

Hey guys,

New to the forum! But not BMW. Just sold my 02 e46 5spd. Loved the car but looking to upgrade a bit. Budget of around $15-18k. I found a 2006 330xi 6spd. with 90k miles(link below).

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

That high of mileage is a concern to me. E-mail from the Dealer below. He could not provide service records.

"When I traded for the car, as with every car it goes through an inspection by a technician. The technician recommended a rotation and balance of the tires as well as an alignment which we performed. The car is a very clean and sound car that was well maintained by the previous owner. He had bought the car as a Certified BMW and did all of his service at BMW dealerships. However I do not have his service records. I can see from a Carfax report that the customer regularly maintained the vehicle."

Any help on weather to pass or make a move would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

-John_a_
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2013, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your question over to the E90 forum. You'll get more help from other E90 owners here.

Good luck,
Tim
Old 09-27-2013, 08:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoolsey View Post
Hey guys,

New to the forum! But not BMW. Just sold my 02 e46 5spd. Loved the car but looking to upgrade a bit. Budget of around $15-18k. I found a 2006 330xi 6spd. with 90k miles(link below).

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

That high of mileage is a concern to me. E-mail from the Dealer below. He could not provide service records.

"When I traded for the car, as with every car it goes through an inspection by a technician. The technician recommended a rotation and balance of the tires as well as an alignment which we performed. The car is a very clean and sound car that was well maintained by the previous owner. He had bought the car as a Certified BMW and did all of his service at BMW dealerships. However I do not have his service records. I can see from a Carfax report that the customer regularly maintained the vehicle."

Any help on weather to pass or make a move would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

-John_a_
High mileage should always be a concern. So what web site can we access to view "issues" with this year/make/model?

Other than, say...Consumer Reports 'circles' about long term reliability, I've often posted in here about NHTSA's (National Highway Transportation Safety Admin.) consumer complaint database.

There are FEW other sources to view a 'potential' trend for vehicle component failures.

You can view "your" car's complaints by Googling: "NHTSA complaint database" and filling in the year, make, model of your car.

For the 2006 330xi, you may be in for some surprises...but it's best to be informed about potential issues.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 09-27-2013, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Read this about maintenance

Read this about maintenance

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...53217764,d.aWM

I think you got a little more from factory maintenance in the e46 era .

The e 46 gave you a spare tire and a dipstick . You don't get those with and e90.
The dipstick is electronic and kind of quirky and you get RFT's with no spare.
You should read about RFT tires.
Look inside the oil filler cap for no sludge build up and a genraly clean motor.
Since they are now on the lifetime fluid plan it means nothing has been changed but oil(at 15k plus)
and brake fluid every two years. Unless the owner requested more.
I would change out all the fluids and you are almost due for plugs plus if the water pump hasn't been
replaced its in the range it might fail at.
The two problems reported with the car are head or valve cover bolt breakage and valve ticking I don't
know the frequency but there are threads on both problems.

Last edited by ctuna; 09-27-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
330s are pretty reliable. There are some problems but nothing major.

Engine head loses oil pressure after shutting down and can cause the valve lifters to tick. A new part number for the engine head has been released which integrates a check valve to maintain the oil pressure after shutting down. This isn't a problem, more so an annoyance. It will not damage anything. Driving a long distance will allow the oil pressure to build up and circulate properly.

Windshield cowl cover lifts and allows water to drip into AC blower motor and passenger footwell. AC blower motor bearing rust and seize. You can hear faint squeaking/squealing from the vents at low speed. Braking, for some reason, makes the squeals louder. Check for gaps between the cowl cover and windshield glass.

Engine head bolts shear. Visually inspect the head bolts upon purchase.

Brake pedal becomes hard after the car sits. A check valve fails by the brake booster and causes this hard pedal. You have to apply more pressure upon start up to start the car, then vacuum returns and the pedal becomes normal. Again, this is not a problem, just an an annoyance. It will not cause problems. However if the pedal becomes extremely hard to depress, the booster may have failed.

This is all I can think of off the top of my head. A technical service bulletin has been released for all 4 issues. I have personally dealt with all these issues on my 330xi. All have been repaired except the brake pedal issue. It doesn't bother me.

+1 for flushing all fluids and spark plugs. Only fluid I would be hesitant about flushing is the trans if it's AT. If it is AT and has never been flushed, I would drain half and top off. If it's ok for a few months, than drain the trans, replace the pan and gasket, and fill. The trans fluid filter is integrated into the pan so you need to replace the whole pan to change the filter.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 09-27-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:06 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
It's at a BMW dealer and he says he doesn't have service records?? Not true. With a click of a few buttons he can pull up at least the first four years and 50k miles of service history.

Based on the pictures, which can be deceiving, it looks like it's in quite good condition. It looks like the rear bumper has been repainted on at least the left side; the color doesn't quite match between the bumper and the quarter panel.

Be sure to check for drivetrain issues - auto trans mechatronic sleeve leakage and, of course, AWD transfer case issues.

Overall the 2006 E90 330i has been pretty reliable. I have one with just under 90k miles and I still love it.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 09-27-2013, 10:22 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
It's at a BMW dealer and he says he doesn't have service records?? Not true. With a click of a few buttons he can pull up at least the first four years and 50k miles of service history.

Based on the pictures, which can be deceiving, it looks like it's in quite good condition. It looks like the rear bumper has been repainted on at least the left side; the color doesn't quite match between the bumper and the quarter panel.

Be sure to check for drivetrain issues - auto trans mechatronic sleeve leakage and, of course, AWD transfer case issues.

Overall the 2006 E90 330i has been pretty reliable. I have one with just under 90k miles and I still love it.
I wasn't going to say anything but you've made an excellent point. The car's maintenance history should be readily available and I would be "suspicious" that it is NOT available.

What is preventing the car's maintenance history from NOT being available...except for former PROBLEMS???
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 09-28-2013, 06:41 AM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
With a normal depreciation, interest rates and expected repairs on a BMW, over the next 4 years, this already 7yo car is likely to cost you net around 450$/month... a 320Xi 2014 cost about 500$/month on a lease and has about the same acceleration.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Robin128
Mein Auto: 335i auto, Volvo T5 man
I'd buy a used owner serviced car off myself because I know I go further than BMW service standards and I know what I'm doing...ie workshop manuals, TIS and 40 years servicing experience.

But how would I know what someone else has done, even with utmost good faith?

It's a risk.

One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 94 325, 06 330
A couple of other potential problems I would check for would be leaking oil filter housing, valve cover, and some history on the battery, or at least a test of the battery would be nice. The battery can be an expensive replacement- very different than an e46.