Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 09-27-2013, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330i
Question about Auxiliary Input

Hey guys, newbie here, I recently just acquired a 2004 BMW 330i. It is fully loaded with the stereo system and nav. Unfortunately it has no place for me to put an auxiliary cable so I can listen to music off my phone.
Is there any way for me to play my music without putting in a new stereo? I'm not against buying a new one I was just curious. Please assume I have no knowledge of installing this thing and can not do it myself. I would have someone else do it.

I'm going to BestBuy later today to look at stereos, but again, please let me know if there is a way I can play my music without needing to buy a new stereo.

Thank you.
Ads by Google
Old 09-27-2013, 11:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
There is a port located on the back of your head unit which an aux cable plugs into. This started around 2003 and BMW sells the cable for ~$60. Im sure they can even be found on ebay and amazon cheaper than that.

Here is a tutorial to give you an idea of the work involved. Looks like a pretty easy DIY.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:46 AM

Please note that I have the navigation system on mine, hopefully it won't be much different.

Last edited by theprofessor75; 09-27-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:55 PM

I assume this would work:

http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Genuine-Au.../dp/B000PA00XM

Can anyone confirm?
Old 09-27-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprofessor75 View Post
I assume this would work:

http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Genuine-Au.../dp/B000PA00XM

Can anyone confirm?
Never mind, read this won't work as I have navigation.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: '05 BMW 330i
This one works with NAV...http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?par...FcOj4AodOVAA3g
Part Number: 82 11 0 149 391 vs 82110149389, the one on Amazon.
'05 Mazda Tribute s AWD - 99,000 miles

Last edited by Tommy D; 09-27-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
This one works with NAV...http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?par...FcOj4AodOVAA3g
Part Number: 82 11 0 149 391 vs 82110149389, the one on Amazon.
Here is the one on amazon I'm looking at: http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Genuine-Au...+-+Genuine+BMW

It says:

- If your car equip with navigation, please do not purchase this cable.
- Please email us for a different input cable for navigation models.

Just found this one which I hope works.

http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Genuine-Au...enuine+BMW+e46

Last edited by theprofessor75; 09-28-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Hey guys, newbie here, I recently just acquired a 2004 BMW 330i. It is fully loaded with the stereo system and nav. Unfortunately it has no place for me to put an auxiliary cable so I can listen to music off my phone.
Is there any way for me to play my music without putting in a new stereo? I'm not against buying a new one I was just curious. Please assume I have no knowledge of installing this thing and can not do it myself. I would have someone else do it.

I'm going to BestBuy later today to look at stereos, but again, please let me know if there is a way I can play my music without needing to buy a new stereo.

Thank you.
Given the year of your car, you should have a plug n play port on the back side and can buy a cable to plug into it as mentioned above. ( EDIT: reading the wiki link, if you have the sat radio badge on the inside of the trunk lid, you've got the input on the back of your radio) If not, there is some write up in the e46 wiki above where you can have an input cable added to the head (for pre-02) unit with some simple soldering. Anyone with simple soldering skills can do it - a friend in I.T. perhaps, musicians (guitar n bass) might have the skill to do this - that's where I learned, repairing cables and effect pedals for my guitar setup as a teenager. You'll need to pull your head and see if it has the plug n play in the back, or if not, does it look like the version in the pictures of the soldering DIY.

Here's the link in the wiki:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...siness_CD_Head
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD

Last edited by ahull; 09-28-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:00 PM

Has anyone done this installation WITH the nav? Where is a good place to put the auxiliary input? I know one of the places is in the glove compartment but I'd rather it be somewhere else.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Has anyone done this installation WITH the nav? Where is a good place to put the auxiliary input? I know one of the places is in the glove compartment but I'd rather it be somewhere else.
I just ran mine out the side of the center console by my right knee without actually mounting the jack. Can't see it from the passenger side and can barely see it from the driver's side. I then plugged in the 1/8' jack cable and have that laying wherever, which is pretty much what you'd do if you actually mount the jack..... you still have to plug in the 1/8 cable and lay it somewhere. A coiled one would be nice but I have yet to find one.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 10-02-2013, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 325i
I bought one from Turner Motorsport which plugs directly to the factory radio and the input is situated in the glove box (or just about anywhere you want to out it.

The install took 15 minutes at most and works very well.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-14...2003-2006.aspx
Old 10-04-2013, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: 330 zhp convertible
Thanks! First item on my "to-do" list!
Old 10-06-2013, 11:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325ci
I don't have a Navigation but I put one in. I remember going to the dealership and had them look up the part number. The guy said there were two listed. One for Navi and one Without.

I have mine hidden in the eye glass compartment underneath the a/c unit. I've seen some people put theirs in the ash tray. The cord that comes with it is pretty long enough to go to the arm rest. But that would mean that you would remove a lot of stuff. Or next to the DSC button.

Try googling images "e46 navigation with aux cable" to see where others placed theres.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: '04 325ci
Quote:

Thank you.
From BMW's own website: BMW Auxiliary audio Input for 3 Series with navigation 82110149391

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/65...RY-AUDIO-INPUT

Tons of DYIs on this site and e46fanatics.com. I snaked my cable through the right sided hinge space in my sunglasses cubby - no drilling required