Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Lexus GS350 & BMW 428x
Major recall for 2012-14 F30 BMW 3 Series with N20/N26 for dangerous loss of b

Why isn't there anything on the national news outlets?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-27-2013, 04:21 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombie99 View Post
Why isn't there anything on the national news outlets?

Looks like it's true - release bad news late on a Friday afternoon.

Interesting situation - weekend coinciding with the end of the month, many sales to be closed before the close of business on Monday and their most popular car can't be delivered. Can you just imagine what it's going to look like in BMW showrooms this weekend??

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 09-27-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:23 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2014 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
"Affected vehicles in dealer inventories will not be sold or delivered to customers until the recall repair has been performed. Vehicles at BMW vehicle delivery centers will be corrected before shipment to dealerships."

This would indicate that BMW thinks this is not insignificant and potentially could have catastrophic consequences.

Point is no one knows the extent of the problem - only that a serious problem exists - your hypothetical statistic will provide little solace to my family if my car is experiences a failure.
Issues must be fixed on vehicles before they can be sold.

Last edited by Greg @ East Bay BMW; 09-28-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg @ East Bay BMW View Post
Lots of different recalls stop the sale of a vehicle from extremely minor to major. Recalls must be fixed on vehicles before they can be sold.

They know exactly the problem and how to fix it. They are advising to continue to drive your vehicle as you can still use the brakes to stop your vehicle and the emergency break if you experience a failure of the power assist feature.

There have been a total three minor accidents involving single vehicles with NO confirmed injuries.
Greg, is it true?? Are y'all completely stopped on sales and delivery on these cars right now? It'll be an interesting weekend.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 09-27-2013, 04:40 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Greg, is it true?? Are y'all completely stopped on sales and delivery on these cars right now? It'll be an interesting weekend.
Only with the vehicles affected by the issue.

Last edited by Greg @ East Bay BMW; 09-28-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: 428i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328AL View Post
I don't think that's the reason, there is nothing they can do there until it hits VDC. Are you sure your car is not on a boat yet, that's a long time?
What do you think the reason for the car sitting around for over 30 days after production is?

I am sure. That's what the 800 line says, that's what the sales person says, and that's what the "My BMW" website says.

Last edited by poudre; 09-27-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:58 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg @ East Bay BMW View Post
Only with the vehicles affected by the recall. (10-15 or so in-stock cars)
Yeah...my car - and explain the "few feet before you come to a stop" to the family in the cross walk who darted out in front of you.

Yeah - relax - this is not brain surgery......yet
Old 09-27-2013, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: Honda Accord/Ford F-150
Major recall for 2012-14 F30 BMW 3 Series with N20/N26 for dangerous loss of b

I'm supposed to take delivery at the performance center on Wednesday. August build 328xi. Signed the documents last night. I wonder if they will cancel?

Old 09-27-2013, 05:06 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Yeah...my car - and explain the "few feet before you come to a stop" to the family in the cross walk who darted out in front of you.

A few feet? How fast are you going in these residential areas?
Old 09-27-2013, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: Nothing
Hopefully this drops the numbers for next month! I'm in the market!
Old 09-27-2013, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 Pontiac WS6
I am picking up my 428i tomorrow. I have heard nothing from my dealer about the recall but reading about it now. The 428i is not on the list even though having the same motor as all affected cars. I think it had to do with not wanting to delay the debut of the car. I will take delivery but at the first sign of trouble i am bringing her back!!
Bike: 2006 GSXR 750 Maroon and Black, Pipe/Filter/Powercomander
Old 09-27-2013, 05:36 PM
BMW New Guy

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:

That's why the hood was redesigned to aid in pedestrian impacts. I would also explain to the family it is survival of the fittest since they were jaywalking.

But in all seriousness, these cars and engines have been out for almost 3 years. The probability of failure is low, and failure occurs at low speed. Also has anyone reported the issue with a MT? No one in the other thread ever responded in regards to it. All AT drivers from what I saw.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Xdrive, Sport
I called my SA and was told that my VIN (2013 328 ix, January build) was "not currently on any affected list" but. I could still schedule an appointment for the brakes to be reviewed. I chose a Thursday appointment with the hope that they have heir act together by then.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:42 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf328i View Post
That's why the hood was redesigned to aid in pedestrian impacts. I would also explain to the family it is survival of the fittest since they were jaywalking.

But in all seriousness, these cars and engines have been out for almost 3 years. The probability of failure is low, and failure occurs at low speed. Also has anyone reported the issue with a MT? No one in the other thread ever responded in regards to it. All AT drivers from what I saw.
MT or AT

Last edited by Greg @ East Bay BMW; 09-28-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:43 PM
BMW OBSESSION

Mein Auto: 14 535xi;14 550i soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom! View Post
Ah geez, my 2014 328i finished production on 9/13/2014 and it's already in transit in the mid Atlantic. What should I do? I already paid a 1000 deposit. Should I cancel my order? Can I get my deposit back?
Talk about a "knee - jerk" reaction... Get the car, get it repaired and move on. The sky isn't falling people! You people sound like Godzilla is coming down your street! Read the information BMW has supplied us so far. It is October...2 months the parts comes in and end of story. "...should I cancel my order?" HELL NO !!!!!!!!!! Ask BOLTJAMES what he might do in this situation. He knows everything ... in his little world.

2014 535XI M Sport - Carbon Black / Ivory / CW / PREM / ASSIST / HK

Last edited by 550i Beast; 09-27-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 328i / EK Civic
Time to dust off my Civic keys....

2013 F30 328i Baseline - Tech/Lighting/Shades/MoonRoof/Heated Seats
Old 09-27-2013, 06:07 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
I'm not trying to provide solace for you. I'm just commenting on the facts and logistics of a difficult and complicated situation BMW has to deal with.
solace? - hardly....

you don't get it - I care neither about BMW's PR "issue" nor BMW's logistical challenges....

I care about the safety of my family and those around me who I may be placing in harm's way. I hope my weekly drive through the West Virginia mountains does not become "a difficult and complicated situation" - I hope I can stop in time for a crowded Washington DC intersection filled with pedestrians and traffic otherwise I could witness "a difficult and complicated situation".

Point is - BMW thinks the car is sufficiently unsafe that it is stopping all deliveries - and those of us out here in the wild just don't know if we face "a complicated and difficult situation" until it happens....
Old 09-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
solace? - hardly....

you don't get it - I care neither about BMW's PR "issue" nor BMW's logistical challenges....

I care about the safety of my family and those around me who I may be placing in harm's way. I hope my weekly drive through the West Virginia mountains does not become "a difficult and complicated situation" - I hope I can stop in time for a crowded Washington DC intersection filled with pedestrians and traffic otherwise I could witness "a difficult and complicated situation".

Point is - BMW thinks the car is sufficiently unsafe that it is stopping all deliveries - and those of us out here in the wild just don't know if we face "a complicated and difficult situation" until it happens....
Quote:
I could give a damn about BMW's potential PR problems - I care about the safety of my family. At this moment - since BMW cannot tell us definitively if our cars are safe - I must assume my new $50K 328xi Sport-line is unsafe. Indeed, dealers are being told not to sell cars on their lots. The least BMW should do is rebate lease payments on affected cars until a fix is fully implemented. It is unconscionable to ask us to knowingly to compromise the safety of our families - and have no ready plan to boot.
And your proposal is??? That your lease payments should be refunded to you? Does that make your car safer?

Seriously, what do you propose BMW should do? As I mentioned previously it appears at this point the failure rate has been less than 4/10 of one percent. Should BMW inform the owners of all 76,000 affected cars that they need to return their cars to the dealership and a loaner will be provided to them?

Last edited by tturedraider; 09-27-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:14 PM

Like a hysterical woman from the 20s...
Old 09-27-2013, 06:16 PM
'Fest Sponsor

He keeps quoting you like it's directly from BMW NA, not sure why...

Last edited by Greg @ East Bay BMW; 09-28-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:46 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
And your proposal is??? That your lease payments should be refunded to you? Does that make your car safer?

Seriously, what do you propose BMW should do? As I mentioned previously it appears at this point the failure rate has been less than 4/10 of one percent. Should BMW inform the owners of all 76,000 affected cars that they need to return their cars to the dealership and a loaner will be provided to them?
Given BMW's refusal to deliver affected cars to dealerships and moreover BMW's instruction to dealers not to sell affected cars on their lots - acknowledges that the "problem" is not trivial and does portend real risks of potentially dire consequences.

A good start...what's good for the goose is good for the gander - if BMW will not deliver the cars in question - we as clients should not be asked to accept circumstances untenable to BMW. Affected cars should be sidelined. Lease payments should be suspended until the cars in question are remedied. Rental cars for 76000 potential customers? - why not - and if BMW does not have the physical inventory - there's always Enterprise.

BMW is a great brand - BMW needs to seize the high road and display in real terms responsible corporate citizenship.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328AL View Post
I don't think that's the reason, there is nothing they can do there until it hits VDC. Are you sure your car is not on a boat yet, that's a long time?
Yep. My car, completed September 6 is about to reach the port in Baltimore.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:

We understand your fears. Call you dealership and find out if your car has the potential engine problem. Or just cancel the order.

Last edited by Michael Schott; 09-27-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Rental cars for 76000 potential customers? - why not
Ever hear of the expression, "The juice isn't worth the squeeze?"
Old 09-27-2013, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: X3
what happens if you crash because of this while BMW is figuring out how to fix it?