Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:59 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmareuki View Post
what happens if you crash because of this while BMW is figuring out how to fix it?
Report the incident to NHTSA as a safety complaint. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Old 09-27-2013, 08:00 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
.... Or just cancel the order.
I would if I could...I took delivery of a 328xi about 2 months ago. I bought the car as a daily driver and was motivated primarily by the car's efficiency and safety - as you are well aware there are many less expensive alternatives. Car is my 8TH BMW. I have already have plans for my 9TH and 10TH next year.

In the past I have found BMWNA's responsiveness and loyalty to existing clients to be noteworthy and hopefully they will use this very difficult situation to demonstrate their responsible corporate citizenship.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Xdrive, Sport
The choice that BMW must deal with is weighing a significant cost of fixing or side lining all affected vehicles immediately versus the cost of being pulled into EVERY litigation that results from accidents involving the cars between this notice and the resolution. Telling drivers to be careful isn't going to fly when they are pulled into court. That is why the notice seems paraphrased - I think BMW would be much more careful to cover for any potential issues that may occur.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 F30 335i M-Sport (ED)
Re: Major recall for 2012-14 F30 BMW 3 Series with N20/N26 for dangerous loss of bra

kinda funny, if this were another brand having these issues, all the BMW apologists would be screaming about poor quality control and risk to their personal safety, and calling for the brand's public execution...but since it's BMW, and this a BMW forum, the attitude seems to be, umm... different
Old 09-27-2013, 08:14 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Major recall for 2012-14 F30 BMW 3 Series with N20/N26 for dangerous loss of b

Quote:
what happens if you crash because of this while BMW is figuring out how to fix it?
Blame it on unintended acceleration syndrome... Just make sure to slap a Prius or Lexus badge on first.

I joke! But seriously put that badge on first...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
It's going to be a bad situation all the way around. There's no doubt BMW is well aware and concerned about this possibility. At this point they don't have much choice other than to depend on the very low incident rate thus far.

While this situation is pretty bad it's worth a reminder this isn't a situation of total brake failure, but rather loss of the brake's power boost function.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 09-27-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:38 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata

Ouch, was hedging between a 328 vs 335. Guess this makes the decision much easier.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:18 PM

Mein Auto: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
Ouch, was hedging between a 328 vs 335. Guess this makes the decision much easier.

Does it? A temporary issue wouldn't prevent me from making a decision that would affect me 2-3+ years.

Last edited by mmille24; 09-27-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by poudre View Post
What do you think the reason for the car sitting around for over 30 days after production is?

I am sure. That's what the 800 line says, that's what the sales person says, and that's what the "My BMW" website says.
Your CA says your car held at Bremerhaven due to a recall?

They can't fix your car at the port, there're no repair facilities there. Mine was completed on 9/6 and is on the ship. I contacted my SM, he said if it's impacted it would be fixed at VDC.

There is a logistical problem with your car, contact your dealer and let them figure it out.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:37 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
acceptable loses????

If a Door Pops off in flight of only one DC 10, all are grounded, until the problem is solved. Granted it's very different for an airline full of passengers going down into a city.

But what are acceptable losses? A Kindergartener running in front of you to get out of the rain, or her Grandmother running after her to catch her? No these are not acceptable losses, and the suspected affected cars
should likewise be grounded, for Russian Roulette is too dangerous, immoral, and unconscionable regardless of the odds.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Jetta TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
acceptable loses????

If a Door Pops off in flight of only one DC 10, all are grounded, until the problem is solved. Granted it's very different for an airline full of passengers going down into a city.

But what are acceptable losses? A Kindergartener running in front of you to get out of the rain, or her Grandmother running after her to catch her? No these are not acceptable losses, and the suspected affected cars
should likewise be grounded, for Russian Roulette is too dangerous, immoral, and unconscionable regardless of the odds.
It's the unfortunate reality that most safety laws are written in blood. Especially aviation. Just my $0.02.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:45 PM
Apay Kapoy

Mein Auto: 13 335i 02RSX5MT 06ML350
Here's to hoping nobody gets into an accident.

Time to take advantage of poor BMW quality...cancel order to possibly negotiate a discounted price or if buying/leasing ask for a huge discount especially this weekend (end of month).
My 1st BMW-bought fr inbound inventory: Munich 2013 F30 335i, RWD, Alpine White, Black Leather, M-Sport Line/Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 403M (Potenza S001 RFT 225/40, 255/35 R19), Sport auto w/paddle shifters, Heated front seats, Harman Kardon, Aluminum Hex Trim matte EB accent, Anthracite headliner
Std: Xenon Adaptive Headlights/Sunroof/Alarm
Mods: Tint/DIY lower intake grill guard/ASS recoded
23K mi Aug14
Hergestellt in Deutschland
Old 09-27-2013, 09:46 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmille24 View Post
Does it? A temporary issue wouldn't prevent me from making a decision that would affect me 2-3+ years.
Temporary w/o a fix, unacceptable. This is a safety issue! Out of all the cars I have owned and all the recalls I've seen, only the exploding Firestone tires are as bad as this. Degraded braking is a safety failure that SHOULD NEVER OCCUR. This is an awful issue with repercussions that could be deadly if not resolved.

Don't even say you feel comfortable in a performance car that can't stop exactly when you want it to. That's just dangerous.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Temporary w/o a fix, unacceptable. This is a safety issue! Out of all the cars I have owned and all the recalls I've seen, only the exploding Firestone tires are as bad as this. Degraded braking is a safety failure that SHOULD NEVER OCCUR. This is an awful issue with repercussions that could be deadly if not resolved.

Don't even say you feel comfortable in a performance car that can't stop exactly when you want it to. That's just dangerous.

I would recommend you wait a few days before making a reactionary decision.

You don't even know the extent of the recall nor the amount of people affected but yet you are calling it the second worst in automative history. Deep breaths my friend.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:09 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmille24 View Post
I would recommend you wait a few days before making a reactionary decision.

You don't even know the extent of the recall nor the amount of people affected but yet you are calling it the second worst in automative history. Deep breaths my friend.
Not in an F3x yet, so no worries for me.

However, I feel sorry for all the F3x owners affected. Btw, this is probably the 4th worst recall.

1) Ford exploding gas tank from the 70s & 80s recall.
2) Firestone exploding tire recall.
3) Toyota stuck gas pedal recall.
4) BMW N20/N26 decreased brake recall.

Notice all has the potential for accidents then injuries or god forbid deaths.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Not in an F3x yet, so no worries for me.

However, I feel sorry for all the F3x owners affected. Btw, this is probably the 4th worst recall.

1) Ford exploding gas tank from the 70s & 80s recall.
2) Firestone exploding tire recall.
3) Toyota stuck gas pedal recall.
4) BMW N20/N26 decreased brake recall.

Notice all has the potential for accidents then injuries or god forbid deaths.

I'm happy you downgraded it to the 4th worst of all time. Again, you still you don't know the extent of the recall nor the amount of people actually affected.

Hopefully Allah forbids deaths...
Old 09-27-2013, 11:22 PM

Mein Auto: TBD
Question

The Problem:
The oil supply from the intake camshaft to the brake vacuum pump can become restricted. If this happens the brake vacuum pump could fail due to lack of lubrication, resulting in a loss of power brake assist.

The Solution:
The solution involves inserting a locking ring onto the camshaft so the oil supply to the brake assist vacuum pump is not impaired.

Interesting the recall caused by an engine problem effects only the F30.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:25 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
While this situation is pretty bad it's worth a reminder this isn't a situation of total brake failure, but rather loss of the brake's power boost function.
have you ever tried to use the brakes without the boosted working? if you have a hill around you try it, put car in neutral kill the engine pump the brakes few time and see how much force you have to apply
Old 09-27-2013, 11:54 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Re: Major recall for 2012-14 F30 BMW 3 Series with N20/N26 for dangerous loss of bra

I got mine a week ago. What the hell . I hope the service centers take care of the cars cuz mine doesn't even have a speck on it.

By the way this would mean that I get a loaner correct when they announce the recall and my car is being fixed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-27-2013, 11:57 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post

Interesting the recall caused by an engine problem affects only the F30.
Try reading a little more carefully.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 09-28-2013, 12:33 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d, Mazda 6, RAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
solace? - hardly....

Point is - BMW thinks the car is sufficiently unsafe that it is stopping all deliveries - and those of us out here in the wild just don't know if we face "a complicated and difficult situation" until it happens....
There are legal distinctions that make delivering a new car very different than allowing someone to continue using a car that is in service. If you are worried about the issue, don't use your car. No, I don't know what BMW will do, but you might consider renting a car to tide you over, telling your SA that you are doing that - perhaps in a certified letter - and then applying for reimbursement from BMW. At the very least, that would speed up any repair on your car.

Just a thought or two...

Old 09-28-2013, 12:48 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
BMW has come full circle. First the turbocharged cars wouldn't go, now they won't stop. My 335i came with an unproven fuel pump system which resulted in NHTSA involvement, several recalls, and a warranty extension. Now the vac pump (N20/N26) isn't getting enough oil? No excuses, this is another example of insufficient testing of a redesign. Vacuum pumps have been around a long, long time. BMW found a different way to operate them, they had a responsibility to ensure it would hold up.
BMWNA blamed the N54 fuel pump failures on crappy American fuel. Are they going to blame the pump/brake failure on crappy American oil? Wouldn't surprise me. Wait, some of these failures happened with factory installed oil, right? Yes! We're off the hook!
It is interesting to read the four pages of comments so far. As you who were there in the E9x forum know, the threads and posts having to do with the HPFP failure read exactly the same as this thread. Substitute "HPFP" for "Brake failure" and they are identical with the exception that BMW seems to want to stay ahead of the curve on this one. It's going to be a tough sell. After the first tragic accident, actually caused by brake failure or imaginatively blamed on brake failure, things will get even tougher. The evening news will forget about the steak and only sell the sizzle. Audi, Ford and Toyota can tell you how that goes.

Last edited by DSXMachina; 09-28-2013 at 01:11 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-28-2013, 05:25 AM

Mein Auto: GL350

I am suppose to pick up a 428 today at 6 Eastern time. Should I do it or wait?

Old 09-28-2013, 05:42 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
It's only one data point, but two weeks ago I was doing 80 in the fast lane when all of a sudden all traffic came to a complete stop and the car in front of me didn't react in time and I thought for sure I was going to crash right into his rear end. Was without a doubt the worst emergency stop situation I have ever encountered.

The F30 brakes performed like an absolute champ. The guy in front of me made eye contact in the rearview mirror and gave me a huge thumbs up (and a bit of an apology). Now I understand the problem can be intermittent and next time I might not be so lucky, but right now I'm not very concerned. Never had a single issue with the brakes since I've owned the car.

I will, however, be cognizant of the handbrake and would likely lean my hand over there if I encountered that situation again just in case.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 09-28-2013, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: 99EstorilM3, Cayman S
2006 330i - transmission replaced after two weeks of ownership, 2013 M3 - totaled RIP, 2013 328i - now this... *sigh*. But, for now, I'm gonna enjoy the car (putting new wheels today), and just be attentive and hopefully my natural reactions if failure occurs work.