Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie@Bimmerfest View Post
BMW recalls 3 series 5 series X1 X5 Z4 with N20 or N26 engine

Delivery of N20 and N26 powered vehicles stopped as a result of power brake assist problem

On September 26th, BMW of North America announced to NHTSA its intention to conduct a voluntary Recall on certain 2012-2014 model year BMW 3 Series, 5 Series, X1, X3 and Z4 models equipped with the N20 or N26 engine, produced from May 2012 to August 2013.

Affected vehicles in dealer inventories will not be sold or delivered to customers until the recall repair has been performed. Vehicles at BMW vehicle delivery centers will be corrected before shipment to dealerships. Existing owners will be notified of the recall by letter with a solution coming in December.

The Problem:
The oil supply from the intake camshaft to the brake vacuum pump can become restricted. If this happens the brake vacuum pump could fail due to lack of lubrication, resulting in a loss of power brake assist.

The hydraulic brakes will still function to stop the vehicle but without power assist. Without assist the driver will need to apply much greater pedal pressure to stop the vehicle. The distance required to stop the vehicle will increase as most drivers will not be able to apply enough brake pedal pressure.

In the event of a loss of brake power assist pull the emergency brake and apply as much brake pedal pressure as possible. If your BMW has an electronic parking brake pull up and hold the switch to engage the brake.

Move away from traffic and park in a safe location as soon as possible. Contact BMW Roadside Assistance and have your vehicle taken to the nearest BMW dealer.

Solution and Repair
A repair solution for vehicles already on the road is under development and not available at this time. Existing owners will be notified of the recall in November by letter and again in December by letter when parts are available. Wait to receive your notification letter before contacting your dealership for service. The repair letter will be sent when the dealership has the necessary parts, tools and procedures to preform the repair.

The solution involves inserting a locking ring onto the camshaft so the oil supply to the brake assist vacuum pump is not impaired. The repair will take approximately two hours but can vary depending on your BMW dealers schedule. The repair will be preformed free of charge.

Affected Models
  • 2012-14 320i/328i, 320i/328i xDrive Sedan manufactured between May 2012 August 2013
  • 2014 328i xDrive Sports Wagon manufactured between March 2013 May 2013
  • 2012-13 528i, 528i xDrive Sedan manufactured between June 2012 June 2013
  • 2013-14 X1 sDrive28i, X1 xDrive28i manufactured between June 2012 June 2013
  • 2013-14 X3 xDrive28i manufactured between June 2012 August 2013
  • 2012-14 Z4 sDrive28i manufactured between June 2012 June 2013
Models not list are not effected due to different lubrication and vacuum pump designs.

Number of vehicles affected in the US
Up to 76,190 BMWs are affected by this safety issue. The model break down is as follows -
  • 2012-14 320i/328i, 320i/328i xDrive Sedan - 37,473 potentially affected
  • 2014 328i xDrive Sports Wagon - 176 potentially affected
  • 2012-13 528i, 528i xDrive Sedan - 12,708 potentially affected
  • 2013-14 X1 sDrive28i, X1 xDrive28i - 10,547 potentially affected
  • 2013-14 X3 xDrive28i - 14,517 potentially affected
  • 2012-14 Z4 sDrive28i - 770 potentially affected

Known accidents
BMW is aware of three minor accidents with no confirmed injuries as a result of this problem. The NTSB has 7 reported incidents but that does not mean they have 7 accident reports. Vehicles affected have experienced the failure at low millage. It is not clear if having a higher mileage car means you will not have the failure.

Should you continue to drive your N20/N26 powered BMW
BMW says it is safe to continue to drive your vehicle for now. As soon as you get the service letter that will be coming in December you should have the recall work performed. If you feel a loss of braking power pull to the side of the road and have your BMW towed to the nearest dealer by BMW Roadside Assistance.

Are 4 series deliveries going to be affected
BMW has not commented at this time on the 4 series. Models produced as recently as August are affected so it is possible early production 4 series (production started in July) will be held at the vehicle delivery center until the repair is available. We will continue to follow the 4 series delivery story and provided updated information as it happens.

What to do now
We have no choice but to wait for the letters and more information from BMW. In the mean time everyone be careful out there. There are 7 reported incidences of issues to the NTSB so far. The NTSB estimates that for ever report there are 40+ incidents that are not reported. Has anyone had trouble loss of brake assist in their N20/N26 powered BMW? Does this make anyone nervous to drive their BMW?

Recall Update:

This is a follow-up to the delivery stop announcement of certain N20 and N26-equipped models. Vehicles on the delivery stop VIN list must not be retailed or delivered until the defect has been corrected.

Technical Description
An oil plug in the intake camshaft may become displaced, restricting oil supply to the vacuum pump. Continued operation may lead to failure of the vacuum pump, resulting in loss of power-assist braking. Only camshafts from one supplier exhibit this issue; therefore, not all N20 and N26-equipped vehicles are involved in the delivery stop and Recall.

A repair solution is under development to secure the intake camshaft oil plug, but will not be available before December.

Customer Notification
Owners of vehicles which have already been delivered will receive initial notification in November, informing them of the issue. A second letter will be mailed in December, advising customers to schedule an appointment with your center to have the Recall completed, when parts and the repair procedure become available.
Bernie

Do you have an update to above post? In a letter some folks got (including me) the parts will not be availible till Jan. Can BMW provide limited supply of parts for those that have the failure now?
Old 12-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1
Recall for 2012-14 BMW X1 models with N20/N26 engines for loss of brake power

There are two separate recalls regarding the power assist brakes. One affects N20 models only and there is a fix. The other covers N20 and N26 engine models and affects cars manufactured in the list above.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-09-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfex View Post
There are two separate recalls regarding the power assist brakes. One affects N20 models only and there is a fix. The other covers N20 and N26 engine models and affects cars manufactured in the list above.

I only know of the one recall...the brake vacuum assist failure that the parts were due in Dec but not in Jan. I am not aware of another recall...do you have the link to this one?
Old 12-09-2013, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
According to the list above, my car is affected (2013 sDrive 28i manufactured 8/2012) but I have not received any notice and my dealer doesn't know anything about it. Went to the Owner's section of bmwusa.com and clicked on Recalls. Entered the last seven digits of my VIN and was informed that there are no recalls for my vehicle. Hmmmm........

DeeDee

Last edited by skndchanzs; 12-09-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: X1
Recall for 2012-14 BMW X1 models with N20/N26 engines for loss of brake power

Quote:
Originally Posted by imua1 View Post
I only know of the one recall...the brake vacuum assist failure that the parts were due in Dec but not in Jan. I am not aware of another recall...do you have the link to this one?
See the thread I posted a back in October (link http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=732497).

Not sure if they have a fix for the recall in this thread yet. My car was manufactured outside of the manufacturing date range from the original post. But I got a recall letter for the newer one.

Last edited by Wolfex; 12-09-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybeemerbike View Post
Hopefully we will ALL be safe. BMW is trying to downplay this problem by saying a "cap needs to be secured." If it were this simple don't you think it would have been corrected by now? We are now in December, before you know it, we'll be into a new year, lets get cracking with this already. And yes, BMW can crank up 150,000 caps up if that's all that the problem is, something tells me its a bit more involved than they lead us to believe.
Yes you are correct....there is more involved. Had ours done this week. If inspection shows the need then the camshaft is replaced....much more than a two hour job and per SA an "intense" operation.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:06 PM
BMW bike whore

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1
Quote:
Yes you are correct....there is more involved. Had ours done this week. If inspection shows the need then the camshaft is replaced....much more than a two hour job and per SA an "intense" operation.
OMG! Camshaft for a supposed braking problem? What the hell?
Old 12-17-2013, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: 14 X1 x28i MSport, Miata
I haven't gotten a recall notice yet... Maybe I'll go call my dealer...
Old 12-27-2013, 03:31 AM
BMW bike whore

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1
Any more news on these recalls? Anyone else get a recall performed, how is the car running now?
Old 12-27-2013, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 sDrive28i xLine
My June build 2014 X1 sDrive28i was in for the Nav update last week and I asked my SA to check the VIN against the recall notices and it came up clean. So apparently my car was built just after the fix went into production.

Past BMWs:
2000 740iL, 2002 325i, 1999 M-Coupe, 2000 323Ci, 1979 323i, 1983 320i
Old 12-28-2013, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X128i
Not necessarily, I got the recall letter after thanksgiving, called my dealer on 12/20 they looked up my vin and said thare are no open campaigns. My only thought on this is they wont have an open campaign until parts are available.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 2.8i X Drive
I have an xdrive28i that I purchased in March of 2013. I have about 12,500 miles on it. I have noticed, over the last couple of months, that my brakes don't seem to be working properly. Most of the time they are ok but I notice quite often, during slow speed stops, like pulling up to a stop sign, that I have to apply a lot more force on the brake pedal than normal. It almost feels like there is air in the lines....but then it will work fine for a while. I did receive the first recall letter for the braking issue. I just brought my car in for the first service and oil change. I reported my braking issue. They called me and said they test drove the car and reported my issue to BMW and they were told to "hold" the vehicle until a fix could be completed. My service advisor said that parts are not currently available and that BMW will call her tomorrow and let her know if there is a fix they can do immediately or if they will have to hold the vehicle until those parts become available. So, I find out tomorrow if I get my car back this week or if they will end up holding it indefinately until a fix is available.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxx1918 View Post
I have an xdrive28i that I purchased in March of 2013. I have about 12,500 miles on it. I have noticed, over the last couple of months, that my brakes don't seem to be working properly. Most of the time they are ok but I notice quite often, during slow speed stops, like pulling up to a stop sign, that I have to apply a lot more force on the brake pedal than normal. It almost feels like there is air in the lines....but then it will work fine for a while. I did receive the first recall letter for the braking issue. I just brought my car in for the first service and oil change. I reported my braking issue. They called me and said they test drove the car and reported my issue to BMW and they were told to "hold" the vehicle until a fix could be completed. My service advisor said that parts are not currently available and that BMW will call her tomorrow and let her know if there is a fix they can do immediately or if they will have to hold the vehicle until those parts become available. So, I find out tomorrow if I get my car back this week or if they will end up holding it indefinately until a fix is available.
===
If they do hold your car for parts I would ask for a comprable loaner (e.g. another BMW)...we were loaned a 2014 3 series for the day or two it took to do our recall where they changed the intake cam shaft. Since then working good (knock on wood).
Old 01-08-2014, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxx1918 View Post
For what it's worth, I too had my first service and oil change done today, and they inspected for the recalled part. My 2013 X1 xDrive 28i requires the fix apparently, but I was allowed to keep the car in the meantime.

I may have experienced the failure once, but it was on a ridiculous amount of slush and ice so it could have just been that my brakes even with ABS were unable to stop the car from 15km/h in a reasonable distance!

The dealer is ordering the part required, and I'm now scheduled to drop it off again next week for the fix, which they tell me will take 2 days to do. I'm supposed to get a loaner for the time it won't be available...
Old 01-09-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj blitz View Post
For what it's worth, I too had my first service and oil change done today, and they inspected for the recalled part. My 2013 X1 xDrive 28i requires the fix apparently, but I was allowed to keep the car in the meantime.

I may have experienced the failure once, but it was on a ridiculous amount of slush and ice so it could have just been that my brakes even with ABS were unable to stop the car from 15km/h in a reasonable distance!

The dealer is ordering the part required, and I'm now scheduled to drop it off again next week for the fix, which they tell me will take 2 days to do. I'm supposed to get a loaner for the time it won't be available...
Got word today that my car is, indeed, affected. They tore the engine apart today and will be replacing the camshaft. My service advisor said they didn't want to take the chance and let me drive the car. Please be careful.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
===
If they do hold your car for parts I would ask for a comprable loaner (e.g. another BMW)...we were loaned a 2014 3 series for the day or two it took to do our recall where they changed the intake cam shaft. Since then working good (knock on wood).
No such luck....they ran out of BMW loaners and put me in a car from Hertz......a stripped Hyundai Accent with intermeittent heat....Brrrrrr. And they haver had my car since Tuesday and claim they'll have it until next tuesday. I got screwed!
Old 01-09-2014, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X1 - 2012 xDrive28i
I called BMW Canada 5-6 months ago and they assured me mine doesn't need to be recalled. The dealership called me today saying they want me to bring it in for recall. My dealership apparently has a new rule where they won't give me a BMW loaner, only Hyundai Accents unless I pay $20-50/day for the BMW. Anyone else have this policy/problem?

Dear God, protect my ride."
Old 01-11-2014, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Tired of waiting and wondering if my car will be repaired before another power assist failure, I contacted my SA yesterday in an attempt to find out what exactly is going on. I was told that BMW is working on an alternate fix that doesn't require replacing the camshaft. Without giving any additional details, he said the fix will take a couple hours instead of a couple days. Yet again BMW shows that corporate profits are more important than customer safety. Unacceptable.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 01-11-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
Tired of waiting and wondering if my car will be repaired before another power assist failure, I contacted my SA yesterday in an attempt to find out what exactly is going on. I was told that BMW is working on an alternate fix that doesn't require replacing the camshaft. Without giving any additional details, he said the fix will take a couple hours instead of a couple days. Yet again BMW shows that corporate profits are more important than customer safety. Unacceptable.
Oh is that how it is... Why are they replacing the above users camshaft and not ours...

Old 01-11-2014, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLambo View Post
Oh is that how it is... Why are they replacing the above users camshaft and not ours...

If pushed by the owner or dealer, they'll probably repair those that they feel are at high risk for failure. But obviously that's not true for everybody ... I've experienced loss of power assist twice now, and the dealer doesn't seem interested in helping at all until the official recall is announced.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 01-11-2014, 02:51 PM

They've sent a notice about recalling mine but it doesn't seem like BMW Canada wants to replace any camshafts and of course my dealership probably won't want to if they're not going to be compensated by BMW Canada. Luckily, I haven't experienced any power train lost on my 2012.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Quote:
They've sent a notice about recalling mine but it doesn't seem like BMW Canada wants to replace any camshafts and of course my dealership probably won't want to if they're not going to be compensated by BMW Canada. Luckily, I haven't experienced any power train lost on my 2012.

Interesting, I didn't think 2012 X1's were included in the recall.
What date was your X1 built?
Old 01-11-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
Interesting, I didn't think 2012 X1's were included in the recall.
What date was your X1 built?
Feb!

Old 01-11-2014, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Quote:
Feb!

hmmm, maybe double check with your dealer about the recall.
According to the release notes of the recall, only X1's built from June 2012 to June 2013 need the recall.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
hmmm, maybe double check with your dealer about the recall.
According to the release notes of the recall, only X1's built from June 2012 to June 2013 need the recall.
Actually, the dealer is the one who called me and I'm the one who called BMW Canada.