Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 09-27-2013, 10:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 35i M Sport
2014 X3 Purchase, Option Questions

Hi all, first post here. I'm about to purchase a 2014 X3 35i next week. This will be my first car purchase in 33 years... yes I'm an old guy that drives 70's porsches and mercedes.

I have two unresolved questions that my local dealers and BMW North America can't answer, so I thought I'd come here and ask the experts.

I'm signing up for most all options and packages, and paddle shifters are on my wish list, which leads me to the M sport package. Problem is that my priorities are more like long comfortable freeway trips, and not typical sport/race type driving. Sure, I'm looking forward to agile handling on mountain roads and safety on snow, but as I said, I'm old. Additionally, I see more virtue in 18" wheels rather than 19".

My question is if the M Sport package is noticeably "stiffer" than the regular model in the comfort mode setting. Also, the configuration tool allows a check box for "standard suspension" ... should I check it? And finally, if I replace the 19" wheels with 18" at some point, will that influence the suspension "tuning" for the M Sport.

Will be happy to add the M Sport package, but don't want to loose the comfort part for long trips. If the sport mode is sportier, that's fine.

The second option question is about Driver Assist Plus. Does this include a blind side alert function as well as the lane drift warning? Also, can the lane drift/departure warning part be turned off?

thanks in advance for your help. I'm certainly headed for a next century driving experience.
Ads by Google
Old 09-28-2013, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
I can't help with Driver Assist Plus, but have a 2014 X3 28i with M-Sport.

I don't believe M-Sport changes the suspension, but you're right in that it does add 19" wheels, which may result in a slightly courser ride. I haven't noticed.

I have DHP, which I assume you'll be getting as well since you said most all options and packages. I highly recommend it. In Comfort (default) mode, the ride is VERY compliant, but it still handles decently. In Sport mode, I still find it comfortable enough, and it handles MUCH better. I spend about 80% of time in comfort mode and find it very cushy. No long trips yet, but so far, very happy. I would say you will have no regrets on MSport if you have DHP. I'd bet it would be fine without DHP, too, but I just can't comment since it isn't the way my car is configured.

Good luck! Great car, whatever you choose.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the reply, most helpful.

I have been surprised by the lack of knowledge at my local dealerships. Nothing like first hand information to make decisions easier.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
So for the M-Sport package question: In the "comfort mode" (which is the default) the ride is very comfy, turning on sport mode tightens everything up for more spirited driving. The only thing I would recommend about this is to go to a dealership and sit in an X3 with sport seats. Some people (like me) love them, others not so much. Its an individual taste.

I *highly* recommend you get the ZDH (dynamic handling) package along with M-sport for the steering (you will get performance control and dynamic dampers with M-sport). It is my opinion that sport steering mode is the best from a road feedback point of view.

I'm actually about to take a 3,000 mile roadtrip journey to the midwest so I'll have good feedback by the end of the month on how it is for long rides.

As for driver assist plus: BMW didn't put blind-spot alerts on any of the X3. It is not available. At all. Lane departure warn is there. There is a button to turn it off if you desire (it is also not active by default under 40MPH.

Make sure that on the Driver Assist Package that you select option 3AH (Rear Cam with Top view). It is indispensable in parking situations. 3AG (rear cam only) is the default.

If you are not getting it I super duper recommend the technology package so you have head-up display. I thought it would just be a cool gadget to get when I ordered mine, however it has transformed my driving experience, and don't want a car without HUD ever again.

Finally, this has bitten a few people: Verify on the configuration that the exterior trim and roof rails match and are what you want. I dont think it is an issue for the M-Sport package, but if you get it or not, make sure they are right. I think that is 760 (black shadowline trim) and 3MC (black roof rails). Or, 3MB for aluminum trim and 3AT for the aluminum rails.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-28-2013, 03:31 PM

Thanks Drewsky for the additional info.

Just discovered this forum last night, and already I'm learning more that I got out of a month of car shopping.

At this point, I'm going M Sort with all the available packages, except now need to choose between cold weather package or the driver assist plus, which seem to be mutually exclusive for some unknown reason.

Here is a follow up question for the driver assistance plus package. Assuming that I don't think I need speed limit sign capture, or lane departure warning either, is there any other benefit of having the front facing camera? For instance, is it used in the top view display?

If the driver assistant plus is only the two advertised features, then I may go with the cold weather package to get heated rear seats (mild plus feature), but if there are any other hidden virtues in the driver assistant plus package, I'll go for that.

Thanks again all
Old 09-28-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyankee View Post
At this point, I'm going M Sort with all the available packages, except now need to choose between cold weather package or the driver assist plus, which seem to be mutually exclusive for some unknown reason.

Here is a follow up question for the driver assistance plus package. Assuming that I don't think I need speed limit sign capture, or lane departure warning either, is there any other benefit of having the front facing camera? For instance, is it used in the top view display?

If the driver assistant plus is only the two advertised features, then I may go with the cold weather package to get heated rear seats (mild plus feature), but if there are any other hidden virtues in the driver assistant plus package, I'll go for that.

Thanks again all

The reason that ZCW (cold weather) and ZDB aren't compatible is because of the steering wheel. ZCW has a heated steering wheel. ZDB has a vibrating steering wheel (to tell you when you are veering out of lane). There isn't such thing as a vibrating AND heated steering wheel, so it is one or the other.

The speed limit info is a "nice" feature that I can take or leave but the lane departure I think is a good safety feature, especially if you are taking long roadtrips. You can order 494 (heated seats) as a separate item. I am unable to find the option code, and it might be built in to the lane departure warning option but there is a collision warning system too that uses that camera: it watches ahead and when you get too close, or when the rate of closure is too fast, it will visually and audibly alert you (it doesn't put on the brakes like other manufacturers but something is better than nothing). Finally, one last thing that camera does is if you get option 5AC (auto high beams), it watches for oncoming traffic and moves the high beams accordingly to keep from blinding people in front of you. The camera is not used for the top view; it is for the computer to use only.

Hope that answers your questions.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:46 PM

Yep, sure does answer my questions. Seems like I'll go for the DAP and let the rear passengers heat their own seats.

Note to BMW: I'd be happy to pay for the Cold weather package and just not connect the heated steering wheel.

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 3.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsky View Post
The reason that ZCW (cold weather) and ZDB aren't compatible is because of the steering wheel. ZCW has a heated steering wheel. ZDB has a vibrating steering wheel (to tell you when you are veering out of lane). There isn't such thing as a vibrating AND heated steering wheel, so it is one or the other.

The speed limit info is a "nice" feature that I can take or leave but the lane departure I think is a good safety feature, especially if you are taking long roadtrips. You can order 494 (heated seats) as a separate item. I am unable to find the option code, and it might be built in to the lane departure warning option but there is a collision warning system too that uses that camera: it watches ahead and when you get too close, or when the rate of closure is too fast, it will visually and audibly alert you (it doesn't put on the brakes like other manufacturers but something is better than nothing). Finally, one last thing that camera does is if you get option 5AC (auto high beams), it watches for oncoming traffic and moves the high beams accordingly to keep from blinding people in front of you. The camera is not used for the top view; it is for the computer to use only.

Hope that answers your questions.
My friend just bought 2013 x28i today and it has heated steering wheel and lane departure system (i.e. it vibrates the steering) and the forward collision warning system - so you info is not true unless I missed your point here
Old 09-28-2013, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Re: 2014 X3 Purchase, Option Questions

You can have a heated and vibrating steering wheel together.

Also, I'm pretty sure the frontal collision system is separate from the front facing camera. It uses either Radio or Sound waves. Not sure which one but it's not from the camera. I actually had a malfunction in mine when snow built up on it. The system is in the lower bumper grill. While the frontal collision doesnt apply the brakes for you, it primes them when there is a threat. Doesnt take more than a tap to achieve full brake power.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Itinj6; 09-28-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
So for the M-Sport package question: In the "comfort mode" (which is the default) the ride is very comfy, turning on sport mode tightens everything up for more spirited driving. [...]
I *highly* recommend you get the ZDH (dynamic handling) package along with M-sport for the steering (you will get performance control and dynamic dampers with M-sport).
This account is a bit misleading. MSport alone only includes performance control, NOT dynamic dampers.

The dynamic handling package (ZDH) even without MSport gives you "performance control', variable (dynamic) dampers, and variable sport steering.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterx5 View Post
My friend just bought 2013 x28i today and it has heated steering wheel and lane departure system (i.e. it vibrates the steering) and the forward collision warning system - so you info is not true unless I missed your point here
3 series or X3?

When I ordered my 2014 X3 all the info said no cold weather and driver assistance plus due to the steering wheel limitation.

Not sure if that's different from the 2013 models as I never looked at those.
2014 X3 28i - Deep Sea Blue Metallic - Black 'Nevada' Leather - Brushed Aluminum - Cold Weather - Driver Assistance with Top View - Lighting - Premium - Technology - Satin Aluminum Roof rails - Rear manual side window shades
Old 09-29-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfänger View Post
This account is a bit misleading. MSport alone only includes performance control, NOT dynamic dampers.

The dynamic handling package (ZDH) even without MSport gives you "performance control', variable (dynamic) dampers, and variable sport steering.
It really isn't a misleading statement. The configuration sheet states: ZMP: 225 (default) sport suspension delete (aka standard suspesion) -OR- 223 dynamic damper control.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
You can have a heated and vibrating steering wheel together.

Also, I'm pretty sure the frontal collision system is separate from the front facing camera. It uses either Radio or Sound waves. Not sure which one but it's not from the camera. I actually had a malfunction in mine when snow built up on it. The system is in the lower bumper grill. While the frontal collision doesnt apply the brakes for you, it primes them when there is a threat. Doesnt take more than a tap to achieve full brake power.

Frontal collision warning is NOT separate from front camera. The pieces in the bumper are ultrasonic sensors for SLOW and CLOSE sensing, but doesn't work much more than a meter or so from the car. Collision warning system detects proximity and rates of closure of vehicles at higher speeds, meaning up to 10's of feet away.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Frontal collision warning is NOT separate from front camera. The pieces in the bumper are ultrasonic sensors for SLOW and CLOSE sensing, but doesn't work much more than a meter or so from the car. Collision warning system detects proximity and rates of closure of vehicles at higher speeds, meaning up to 10's of feet away.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1380504159665.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	399522

Refer to the pic. That circled black rectangle box is the frontal collision warning system. You thought I meant the PDC sensors which are little circular sensors in the bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1380504180932.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	399523  
Old 09-29-2013, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
It really isn't a misleading statement. The configuration sheet states: ZMP: 225 (default) sport suspension delete (aka standard suspesion) -OR- 223 dynamic damper control.
Yes, exactly. And this means that with MSport you get the standard suspension, OR you choose *and pay additional for* the Dynamic Handling package.

The web site has never quite managed to explain the distinction between the MSport and Dynamic Handling packages clearly, and there are numerous threads on this blog as a result. A big part of the confusion is that in the US, we don't get the option of the sports suspension that is available in other markets. Hence "Sport Suspension Delete". The latest revision to the BMWUSA build interface is better than it was, but is still confusing. Take another look at the configuration options on BMWUSA. Notice that you can NOT choose the dynamic dampers without getting the Dynamic Handling Package. And click on the DHP label to see it show "Dynamic Handling Package also includes Dynamic Damper Control".

You can get all of the benefits of DHP without MSport. If you get MSport without DHP you will have the standard suspension.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Attachment 399522

Refer to the pic. That circled black rectangle box is the frontal collision warning system. You thought I meant the PDC sensors which are little circular sensors in the bumper.
Sigh. Well, um, you do realize that this is the X3 forum, right? X3's don't have that little box. That rectangle contains a radar unit that is for the adaptive cruise control. X3's do not have adaptive cruise control.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Sigh. Well, um, you do realize that this is the X3 forum, right? X3's don't have that little box. That rectangle contains a radar unit that is for the adaptive cruise control. X3's do not have adaptive cruise control.
Ok, maybe the X3 doesnt have that black box. However, I never heard of a camera that can measure closure rate. There's probably a different sensor somewhere other than that black box. It must be some kind of transceiving wave device.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Ok, maybe the X3 doesnt have that black box. However, I never heard of a camera that can measure closure rate. There's probably a different sensor somewhere other than that black box. It must be some kind of transceiving wave device.

Think what you want to think. Because you haven't heard of something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Go look it up: google the keywords BMW, Autoliv, Mobileye. I've been through the computers on this vehicle more than I care to, I know what is in this car.

Proof: tape over the camera on the rearview mirror and you will soon get a warning that the FCS is inactive.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:17 PM

I thought I would make a follow up post to this thread.

I came here after deciding to get an X3, and as a first time BMW buyer. I found it strange that after consulting three BMW dealers and BMWNA, that I could not find satisfactory answers relating to the options I was considering. The BMW establishment unanimously agreed that as a potential buyer, I was entitled to understand what I was buying for 60K, but somehow could not provide it.

So I came here and found what I needed to know to make the final option selections, and I thank you all for that.

But as the thread progressed it was clear that there is an amazing lack of official specification to many issues that we are all interested in. Maybe BMW has such a great engineered product that they don't care about these details, but I certainly think they should.

I'm now 16 pages deep in the X3 topic, and find it an extremely useful and informative, but still there are questions I would like to ask the BMW design team.

I won't propose that they hire a new VP of Technical Marketing because there is a far more simple and effective solution.

I would suggest that BMW assign a mid level engineer in every product group to spend an hour or two each week to review the relevant forums and post accurate answers to our questions. We would take care of referring new questions to old answers like always, and it should not be much impact on BMW. This is not a new idea, many tech companies leverage their technical support staff by assigning them to patrol important user forums. Win win for everyone.

Again, thanks to all for helping me order my first BMW.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:16 PM

Mein Auto: X3
I understand and have shared newyankee's frustration and have a theory as to why this is so which goes something like this: BMW has a terrific technical/engineering staff in Germany. For cultural reasons, German customers (for instance) tend to be very detail-oriented and I suspect that a German customer seeking technical information and understanding will find it in the system. American customers are, by contrast and generally speaking, less interested in technical detail and the staff of BMW of North America I suspect has fewer engineers and is more marketing-oriented.
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 10-06-2013, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 3.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfan View Post
3 series or X3?

When I ordered my 2014 X3 all the info said no cold weather and driver assistance plus due to the steering wheel limitation.

Not sure if that's different from the 2013 models as I never looked at those.
Yes it is 2013 x3 28i.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Running around in circles

Mein Auto: E46 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyankee View Post
I thought I would make a follow up post to this thread.

I came here after deciding to get an X3, and as a first time BMW buyer. I found it strange that after consulting three BMW dealers and BMWNA, that I could not find satisfactory answers relating to the options I was considering. The BMW establishment unanimously agreed that as a potential buyer, I was entitled to understand what I was buying for 60K, but somehow could not provide it.

So I came here and found what I needed to know to make the final option selections, and I thank you all for that.

But as the thread progressed it was clear that there is an amazing lack of official specification to many issues that we are all interested in. Maybe BMW has such a great engineered product that they don't care about these details, but I certainly think they should.

I'm now 16 pages deep in the X3 topic, and find it an extremely useful and informative, but still there are questions I would like to ask the BMW design team.

I won't propose that they hire a new VP of Technical Marketing because there is a far more simple and effective solution.

I would suggest that BMW assign a mid level engineer in every product group to spend an hour or two each week to review the relevant forums and post accurate answers to our questions. We would take care of referring new questions to old answers like always, and it should not be much impact on BMW. This is not a new idea, many tech companies leverage their technical support staff by assigning them to patrol important user forums. Win win for everyone.

Again, thanks to all for helping me order my first BMW.
Congrats! What'd you get?

Previous Bimmers ( All sorely missed ):
2007 Mystic Blue 530i - ED 12-15-06
2003 Grey Green 330i
2003 Electric Red 325iTa

Angular velocity is where it's at

-Jay
Old 10-07-2013, 09:42 PM

FYI, I ordered a white X3 35i M Sport, beige interior, with every "possible" option. That is, not including the cold weather package, even thought the CA tried to add it for me. But as I suspected from the web site configurator, BMW didn't allow it with the Driver Assist Plus package.

I confess to being and old odd ball, and I would rather skip the aerodynamic kit and 19" wheels required in the M Sport package, although I want the seats and paddle shifters.

Production should be finished tomorrow, and I eagerly await the arrival. Currently I am researching tire options to see if it makes sense to buy 18" wheels, and then what tire?

The last car I got for myself was a 1978 Mercedes 450SL, which is still going strong. I expect the 2014 X3 to be a bit of a culture shock... should be fun.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: Lexus now, BMW soon
Just Ordered

I just ordered my new X3 - 2014 28i, Black Sapphire with Mojave and fineline. Based on comments on this site I added the DHP, as well as Technology, Premium, Lights, roof rails and xline trim.

Waiting to schedule PCD.

EXCITED!

My last new car was 2000 RX 300 which now has 188,000 miles. Hope this one holds up that well.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 545i and m3
Pcd

I'm picking up a 2014 28i at the performance center on Oct 18. Timeline as such, ordered 09/09/2013. Just for FYI.