Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 09-28-2013, 05:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E53 N62; E90 N52
cv joints leaking?

So I just got new tires put on. The guy told me both my outer cv joints are leaking.... and that they could take care of the issue next time.

Well i looked at both cv's and there was a good amount of grease all over.... i painstakingly cleaned it all up (no rips in the boots)

What are the chances that both sides are leaking from the large clamp? I had one boot replaced 1 year ago, and the other was done 2-3 years ago

Also all the grease seemed fresh... very wet, had not turned hard like grease ive seen before on the wheel.....

You think they added the grease to trick me in getting a cv boot replacement job done?

2004 E53 X5 N62

Anyone replaced just the clamp with a worm screw clamp? or a zip-tie? does it work? Do i need to add more grease?

(Im not doing anything for a few weeks, I want to see if it actually is leaking, or if they tried to dupe me....)
Ads by Google
Old 09-30-2013, 07:53 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Seems fishy to me. When they leak, grease gets flung OUT of the boot onto the wheel.

I would double check the bellows on the outer end (that's the end that fails most often).
Screw clamps might impact the balance, I hate to reboot CVs, it's often about the same price to just replace the axle assy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:25 PM

cv joints leaking?

There was a little on each axle.... I'll drive a tank and check how bad it is... The next question is, do I change the axles myself or pay someone to do it??? I can get a set of empi axles for $140 (left and right side)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-01-2013, 06:24 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk View Post
There was a little on each axle.... I'll drive a tank and check how bad it is... The next question is, do I change the axles myself or pay someone to do it??? I can get a set of empi axles for $140 (left and right side)

I've done this job, and it's not particularly difficult. Hardest part was getting the splined axleshaft back into the hub, as it was a tight fit. A few whacks with a brass drift/deadblow hammer and I had enough thread exposed to start the nut and pull it together. The hub nuts are tight, something like 200lbft.

I'm not a fan of EMPI axles, althought some people like them. GKN Loebro is the OEM and that's all I've used.

It's always a good idea to replace the axleshaft seals in the transfer case when the axle is out. Cheap insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:53 PM

cv joints leaking?

Well after 150+ miles the cv boots look real clean... I don't see a drop of grease anywhere... Wheel inners are spotless too... I'll monitor it for another few hundred miles

Old 10-03-2013, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk View Post
Well after 150+ miles the cv boots look real clean... I don't see a drop of grease anywhere... Wheel inners are spotless too... I'll monitor it for another few hundred miles

The boot won't tear completely right away, first it develops holes along the crease then the holes get bigger eventually turn into complete tear. Once the holes get big enough, grease will fling some then it'll seems OK.

If you want to save the axle you want to do it now before dirst gets in, but most people seems to favor replacing the entire axle with Cardone or Loebro.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:24 AM

So I did both axles this weekend! What a pia! Changed all 4 boots with gkn's... It really isn't to bad, just messy, and cleaning up all the grease... I took the shalft from boot to boot and the cv joint out disassembled cleaned and reassembled... No issues knock on wood... Only issue I ran into is that I switched to worm gear Norma clamps for the inner boot to the housing as the oinker clamp would not pinch right... Did 20 miles today, no issues (knock on wood)