Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 10-02-2013, 12:09 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Re: RWS: Important Special Announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOST PROTOCOL View Post
I have discovered one complication. It seems to me that you have to buy a whole series of parts to do the retrofit. I am not so much concerned about the cost. Rather, I am more concerned about the scope of the work. It looks like everything has to be taken apart behind the rear seats and multiple parts have to be swapped (including the rear window shelf itself) in order to accommodate the trim. Unless somebody who is really good and talented does this work, it could prove disastrous. I am waiting to see what parts come in from Germany and what work has to be done before I make my final decision.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
You know... This is something I didn't notice until I looked at some more detailed pics of the RWS. It looks VERY different including the location and placement of the seatbelts. It probably requires MAJOR labor and tear down.
#pass

Bimmer App on HTC-One
Old 10-02-2013, 12:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ///M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG13 View Post
Some of the guys on here figured it out a while ago. The conclusion they came to by looking at international configurators for the 7 was that fineline matte/gloss were base level woods, where the other woods usually incurred an option cost. I guess this additional cost included the rear wood shelf. In the US they don't charge extra for the non-individual woods, but you still don't get a shelf since the base woods aren't spec'd for it.

When I picked up my most recent 7 the sales guy must have thought i was a weirdo when he saw me snooping around the back seats of prospective 7's to see if they had wood shelves. Pretty much every single 7 in their garage had dark ash wood
We must have a lot of dealers scratching their heads when people like us don't ask for a test drive of a new perspective 7, but rather a tour of the rear shelf area to decide on the purchase.

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 750i
Dude, tell me /us something we don't know. When I had my 2011 7, they had some head guy from Germany come check out my missing RWS, and even he was stumped and ashamed.

I was going to pay the $500-$700 parts and labor cost to install it, but decided against it because I wasn't going to buy the car out of the lease, and I wasn't sure the dealer could install it without screwing something else up.

It turns out, BMW went about this mysterious mfg exclusion to mess with OCD BMW owners here in the US. And I'm not making it up. Some rouge ahole product engineer guy did this on purpose to f with us prior to his exit.

It doesn't exist not because of cost, or some logical reason, but rather due to sabotage by some knucklehead. So BMW decided to leave it alone, before they end up getting droves of fineline wood owners coming in for a retrofit going back for a few years. Not to mention the embarrassment of having to explain this to the automotive industry.

2013 750i (F01) :: M-Sport | Executive Pkg (BMW Apps / Ceramic Controls / Front Ventilated Seats / Power rear & side window sunshades rear sunshade / Smartphone Integration / Head-up Display / Instrument panel with Napa leather) | Rear Entertainment Pkg | 20" 303 5 spoke wheels

Last edited by ndavani; 10-02-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
So does the High Gloss Fine Line wood trim part cost more or less than the others???

I'm thinking it may be more difficult to produce a 'good piece', which it why it's not offered from the factory...
Old 10-02-2013, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndavani View Post
It turns out, BMW went about this mysterious mfg exclusion to mess with OCD BMW owners here in the US. And I'm not making it up. Some rouge ahole product engineer guy did this on purpose to f with us prior to his exit.

It doesn't exist not because of cost, or some logical reason, but rather due to sabotage by some knucklehead. So BMW decided to leave it alone, before they end up getting droves of fineline wood owners coming in for a retrofit going back for a few years. Not to mention the embarrassment of having to explain this to the automotive industry.
Lol if this is true that has got to be the weakest attempt at employee revenge I've ever heard of. He must have visited the US before and learned how wood-centric we are.

Even I can beat that attempt. First job out of college - was so disgruntled about my office being the only one in the building without A/C in the valley during the summertime that I changed an item on the price list from Stock Print to **** Print before it went into print.

Edit: Damn filter! Think rooster..

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue
Old 10-02-2013, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 750i x drive
RWS: Important Special Announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
You know... This is something I didn't notice until I looked at some more detailed pics of the RWS. It looks VERY different including the location and placement of the seatbelts. It probably requires MAJOR labor and tear down.
#pass

Bimmer App on HTC-One
Yes, it is more detailed and involved than I first thought. Look at the link to BMW of Atlanta that I posted above. It is not just a matter of installing the trim. Rather, it is a whole assembly of parts that has to be changed out. I don't feel comfortable allowing this type of work to be done. The car may never be the same (like after major work done following an accident). I will probably pass as well.

2014 750ix M Sport
Old 10-02-2013, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750Li xD

Even if you offer RWS free, I won't do it. KIA TIGERS!

Combox, pedal box, BMS and white angel eyes more interesting. I have already purchased all of them. I need help to install
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1380765125.835786.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	400181

When I saw beautiful pictures of RWSs that you guys have I need to have temporary relief of the pain: I place a piece of Jatoba hardwood as seen in the picture

Old 10-02-2013, 09:18 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by goren123 View Post
Even if you offer RWS free, I won't do it. KIA TIGERS!

Combox, pedal box, BMS and white angel eyes more interesting. I have already purchased all of them. I need help to install
Attachment 400181

When I saw beautiful pictures of RWSs that you guys have I need to have temporary relief of the pain: I place a piece of Jatoba hardwood as seen in the picture

Pffffffft.... Hahahahaha!!!!

Love it.

Bimmer App on HTC-One
Old 10-03-2013, 03:01 PM

I have been thinking.

Owning a BMW sure is complicated.

First, I had an issue with dots.

Now, I have moved on to rear wood shelves.

As to dots, see below.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=507354

2014 750ix M Sport
Old 10-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Slower Traffic Move Right

Mein Auto: 2009 750i (F01)
Quote:
I have been thinking. Owning a BMW sure is complicated.
Only if you chose the "lesser" options.

That said, I just found out I have a "big dot".

1/4 Mile: 13.370 @ 102.44 mph on A/S RFTs
Old 10-04-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.B.V. View Post
Only if you chose the "lesser" options.

That said, I just found out I have a "big dot".
Is the dot in the Seven as big as the dot in the Five?

2014 750ix M Sport
Old 10-04-2013, 08:24 PM
Bimmerfest CEO

Mein Auto: 2013 750Li
What's this about a dot?

WR 12.50 @ 112.05 MPH 9/18/14
Old 10-04-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard109 View Post
What's this about a dot?
Some older cars have it on the right plastic part of the iDrive. It is an ambient light sensor to help adjust brightness of the iDrive.

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Bimmerfest CEO

Thank you sir, never noticed such nonsense on my '12 or '13.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeek View Post
Some older cars have it on the right plastic part of the iDrive. It is an ambient light sensor to help adjust brightness of the iDrive.
I do not know if it is correct to say that the dot is only on older cars. As of 2011, BMW was using the dot on the five. What did not make sense was that BMW used the dot on some fives but not others, just like BMW uses the RWS on some sevens but not others. While we have been able to discover these variants in the manufacturing process, nobody knows for sure the reasons. Owners of the seven found comfort in the Kia Club (which makes Raj a great deal of coin). Owners of fives with the dot, however, have no such remedy.

2014 750ix M Sport
Old 10-04-2013, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750Li xD

My Kia has a DOT too

Old 10-04-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
I do not know if it is correct to say that the dot is only on older cars. As of 2011, BMW was using the dot on the five. What did not make sense was that BMW used the dot on some fives but not others, just like BMW uses the RWS on some sevens but not others. While we have been able to discover these variants in the manufacturing process, nobody knows for sure the reasons. Owners of the seven found comfort in the Kia Club (which makes Raj a great deal of coin). Owners of fives with the dot, however, have no such remedy.

True. Older I guess is a relative term. How about earlier model F01's and F10's and such.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:26 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Hahahahaha!!! This is crazy. I noticed this dot too a while back and thought it was a 'finish imperfection'.

So do o have to get with service manager to see if he knows or has anyone focus it out?

Bimmer App on HTC-One
Old 10-04-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Hahahahaha!!! This is crazy. I noticed this dot too a while back and thought it was a 'finish imperfection'.

So do o have to get with service manager to see if he knows or has anyone focus it out?

Bimmer App on HTC-One
The dot is an ambient light sensor. For some unknown reason, some BMW cars have the dot just to the right of the NAV screen, whiles others do not. For those that do not have the dot, it is unknown where BMW puts the ambient light sensor.

Are you saying that your seven has a dot?

2014 750ix M Sport
Old 10-05-2013, 04:54 AM
Bimmerfest CEO

Quote:
...some BMW cars have the dot just to the right of the NAV screen,...

Ohh, that dot! My '12 had it and I remember asking the SA about it one time because I just noticed it out of the blue as if it just appeared. He didn't know what it was and just said it's supposed to be there.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: 740Li (F02)
i noticed the dot exactly four (4) years ago when i picked up the car and initially thought it was a manufacturing defect on the plastic trim
Old 10-05-2013, 07:20 AM

Just to get us back on topic, the parts for the RWS that my dealer ordered still have not come in. I have become very inclined to not do the work because my experience tells me such an involved job will not go well. What is of even more concern is that Raj never sent me an application for the Kia Club, which my shelfless Seven and I are all alone.

2014 750ix M Sport
Old 10-05-2013, 10:28 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Quote:
The dot is an ambient light sensor. For some unknown reason, some BMW cars have the dot just to the right of the NAV screen, whiles others do not. For those that do not have the dot, it is unknown where BMW puts the ambient light sensor.

Are you saying that your seven has a dot?

Yes. On the right panel of the nav.
I was looking at it more this am. It does look like a sensor or tiny camera.

Bimmer App on HTC-One
Old 10-05-2013, 10:29 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Quote:
Just to get us back on topic, the parts for the RWS that my dealer ordered still have not come in. I have become very inclined to not do the work because my experience tells me such an involved job will not go well. What is of even more concern is that Raj never sent me an application for the Kia Club, which my shelfless Seven and I are all alone.

I wouldn't do it bro. What if after... Weeks or months later you get an annoying rattle or creak back there?

Bimmer App on HTC-One
Old 10-05-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't do it bro. What if after... Weeks or months later you get an annoying rattle or creak back there?

Bimmer App on HTC-One
I agree. Even if it looks fine, which I am not convinced that it will, it will probably rattle 6 months latter. I can not believe that BMW went through the trouble of designing a different rear window shelf for those cars that do not have the rear trim.

2014 750ix M Sport