Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 328i Coupe Auto
My quest for cool fresh air!

Im really not diggin how The fresh air vent heats up the incoming air quite quickly even on the 60 degree setting. I don't want to keep running the AC. The hvac filter and its cover are mounted to the engine cowl, which sits right on top of the hot engine. The cowl and filter and cover heat up from its closeness to the engine causing the air drawn in to heat up. Also the entrance to the filter is way up towards the front, not back by the wiper area, which would be more ideal to draw in cooler air. Burger makes these HVAC filters that replace the big stock filter and cover and cowl, and they attach dierctly to the 2 hvac openings. I was thinking this might allow the fresh air vent to stay cooler, but without the cowl, which houses the rubber seal to keep water out of the engine area and the engine heat from escaping, my system would be pulling in more hot air than before....so I'm thinking of just getting rid of the stock filter and filter cover, but keeping the cowl in place. This way the heat seal would still be in place and the hvac openings W/filters, would be able to pull in cooler air from the wiper/windshield area.

What do you guys think?

Rob

Last edited by Bigrob126; 10-01-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-29-2014, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
looking for answers on this... theres gotta be someone who did it ??

http://burgertuning.com/cowl_filter_...w_135_335.html
Old 01-29-2014, 09:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 328i Coupe Auto
I did this and it seemed to work somewhat, but what I found is that the ductwork within the dash is actually heating up the incoming air more than the location of the filters. In stop and go traffic, the air will heat up somewhat....regardless....when you start driving it will cool down somewhat. Anyway, I think what I did help, but I'm gonna have to just deal with it

Rob
Old 01-30-2014, 05:46 AM

Mein Auto: 335ix
Thanks, I was wondering why I was still getting hot air on a 30 degree day with the temp set on lowest. Rats. And it still took forever for my a/c to cool it down; hopefully that is fixable.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
You can look into the BMS filters that replace the OEM cowl and micro filter housing. They only cover the opening in the windshield cowl cover instead also extending down on top of the engine cowl.

Personally, I would not do this. I don't think you'll see any benefit/improvement.

http://www.burgertuning.com/cowl_fil...w_135_335.html

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 01-30-2014, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93