Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-30-2013, 09:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3
New 2011 328i xdrive owner with some Audio questions...

So, I've established my stock stereo is the absolute lowest level base system.

What I'd like to do is do some modest upgrades that aren't too terribly outrageous while keeping everything as stock as possible.

So I see apparently you can recode the Head Unit to Hi-Fi to change the output to a more balanced line level akin to aftermarket head units. I'm going to assume that this is a recommended thing to do if I'm thinking of upgrades?

The first question I have is, can much of the stock system still be utilized without replacing the speakers by just getting upgraded amplifiers and crossing over unwanted frequencies? Would you recommend doing so?

Since this stock system does not have the door sail tweeters, would you also recommend getting the replacement panel to fit in the OEM tweeter setup? Supposedly this is actually quite a good placement anyways for a tweeter.
Supposing I do this (I do want a tweeter) would sourcing out a stock tweeter+door sail panel be a workable solution with adding an amplifier to the stock components?

As of my initial searches, I haven't seen (yet) if there happens to be someone that might make a subwoofer enclosure that fits in the well under the trunk panel. Does something like that exist out there? I'm really only looking for something like a 10" sub and only driving probably 2-300 watts max out of it.

While I'm thinking about the subwoofers, can the underseat woofers also be kept, and amplified to upgrade the sound out of them in the midbass area?

Overall, I'm not looking to pump a lot of wattage, just improve the terrible stock stereo sound out of this thing.
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2013, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
I'd do all I could to improve the sound by upgrading the speakers, and a sub would be the absolute last thing on my list. Turning your car into a boom box doesn't improve the sound - quality, full-range sound needs to come from the interior speakers.

My usual reference for options is Crutchfield.com; they do the best job of providing an online fitment reference that gives you a pretty good look at your choices and price points. Their staff is also good at answering technical questions.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:06 AM

I'll agree wholeheartedly on that.

I just figured, if I'm going to do this, to try and plan out doing it all in one shot. Or better yet, get an installer to do it all in one shot, heh.

My main question though is whether or not the quality of the speakers would be helped with an amplifier? or to just go wholesale new speakers all the way around?

I'm out for better sound, but I'm also trying to see if I don't break the bank in doing so.

From my understanding, the base audio is pretty much driven by the internal amplifier of the head unit, so the thought was to see if a separate amplifier might be a better solution there.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
I don't have a service manual handy, but it should be possible to check through that venue...I'm also sure that someone will come by who knows whether there's an external amp in the base system.

I haven't tackled the rest, so I'll step aside. And I confess that if I had the rest of the speakers in good shape and placement, a sub (carefully tuned to avoid the boom box phenomenon) would be a serious consideration. It just would be a secondary priority for me, as I've found that most good speaker systems produce enough bass to be musically accurate...which is what I'm after.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
ctuna is the expert: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...33&postcount=4

I upgraded using the OEM European Alpine system.
Bavarian Soundwerks has a similar upgrade: http://www.bavsound.com/

The base system does not have an external amplifier; both the above have one. The subs sound a lot better with power.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:38 PM

more I read, the more I'm thinking I'll probably end up having to wholesale upgrade all the speakers and figure out a way to get line level output on the headunit and get some big massive amplifier to drive everything...