Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 09-30-2013, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: E36 1994 Convertible
Question E36 1994 Driver's Window Problem

Hi

My dad has a 1994 E36 convertible with a problem to his driver's window. The regulator wouldn't work and he couldn't get his window down. We have checked the switch and wiring and all ok. My husband tried a second hand regulator in it but this only worked quarter of the way up. When you shut the door it goes up a bit more to close onto the roof we guess. He has had the regulator apart to see if anything catching and can only think it must be the motor. Does any one have any ideas before we buy a new regulator??

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 09-30-2013, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I moved your thread over to the E36 forum. You'll be able to get more help in here from other E36 owners.

Tim
Old 09-30-2013, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 325i
E36 1994 Driver's Window Problem

Welcome to the fest! Check the plastic sliding pieces that go on the rails on the windo and make sure theyre not broken and are attached to the regulator arms. Make sure the arms arent bent either i had that problem. If you have to buy a new one try- autohausaz.com or ecstuning.com

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-01-2013, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: E36 1994 Convertible
Smile

Ok thanks will try this first. A guy in the trade thinks it maybe the computer not talking to the body computer as well. Will look at other options before buying a new regulator
Old 10-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
STOP STOP STOP..
It has nothing to do with a "computer not talking to the body computer"
I would suggest not going back to that mechanic either..

Dont go buying a new stuff just yet!

Your windows need to be SYNC'd.
There are microswitches in the door latch that make the window go up a little bit when you close the door.

Your windows are out of sync from the battery dying, a jump start, or disconnecting window motor/regulator plugs while the car is on.

The car should be off.
The door should be closed.
Then turn on the ignition 3 clicks..
hold DOWN buttton.. window should go down.. HOLD for 20 seconds
hold UP button.. window should go up.. HOLD for 20 seconds

IF, the door is closed, and the window does NOT go up.. you have a failing microswitch in the latch.
Lean against door while it is closed to try and activate it.
Try to push UP button again...

A cheap fix is to "pad" the latch striker in the door jamb, or the latch in the door with some electrical tape.. you only need a few millimeters of "padding".
The contacts in the microswitches just wear out after use..
the "pad" allows a different part of the switch to make contact.

Bmw-Mania, Ladies and Gentlemen.

Last edited by bmw-mania; 10-01-2013 at 09:34 AM.