Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-01-2013, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: 328 xi
Light Erro Help

Hey All,

Just pruchased a set of py24w led turn signal bulbs. These things looks amazing but I get the light bulb error signal from time to time.

Any suggestions as to get rid of this would be great!

Thanks,
Giup
Ads by Google
Old 10-01-2013, 08:07 AM
Fest Wrks

Mein Auto: 07 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by giup13 View Post
Hey All,

Just pruchased a set of py24w led turn signal bulbs. These things looks amazing but I get the light bulb error signal from time to time.

Any suggestions as to get rid of this would be great!

Thanks,
Giup
after market bulbs will do that sometimes.. some companies make corrections to their products to fix it, others don't.
Black Sapphire 6MT
BMS JB+ & DCI
Turbosmart BOV
Old 10-04-2013, 12:24 PM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
you can code it out or buy a special load resistor from us , which will solve your issue

BMW CREE LED ANGEL EYES ALL BMW MODELS MTEC V3 V4 DTEC V6 V7 V8 V9 V10 NO ERROR
BMW ACCESSORIES and PARTS
BMW LED INTERIOR KITS
please PM/Email us for member discount/combo pricing
info@e92-lighting.com "e90post5" for 5% off as the promo code
Old 10-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Code the bulb check out. It's the cleanest way.

There is nothing special about the load resistor used to cancel the error. It is a regular ceramic resistor with a heat sink mounted over it.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 10-04-2013, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 323i
Light Erro Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Code the bulb check out. It's the cleanest way.

There is nothing special about the load resistor used to cancel the error. It is a regular ceramic resistor with a heat sink mounted over it.
I'm sorry to hijack this thread, but is there a way to code the error only to tell you when the bulb is completely dead? That way the system will be able to alert you if there's a complete failure.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-04-2013, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SJetblack View Post
I'm sorry to hijack this thread, but is there a way to code the error only to tell you when the bulb is completely dead? That way the system will be able to alert you if there's a complete failure.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
The way the bulb check system works is by checking for resistance of the circuit. For example, if the light fixture uses a 21w bulb the FRM module checks for a 21w load.

LEDs normally consume less power than traditional halogen bulbs. So say the LED bulb consumes 15w instead of 21w, the car sees there is a difference in the expected load (of 21w) and throws a bulb out warning.

The bulb check system is not that sensitive. If you have a 19w bulb in there, I bet the car would not throw an error. This is because most bulbs are rated for 12v use. However, voltage is not always 12v. It can fluctuate anywhere from 11-15v with the engine on. According to ohm's law, power consumption will lower with reduced voltage.

The only way to achieve what your asking is by wiring in a load resistor. By adding this load resistor, it will eat up the rest of the power the car requires to not throw a bulb out warning. When the LED bulb goes out, the load resistor should be much less than the expect load the FRM wants to see and thus the car will throw a bulb out warning.

You will have to use ohms law to calculate proper resistor size and power rating for this to work properly. Of course you can get lucky by choosing a random size/power rating but then you will have to do trial and error to see what values will give you the results you want.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 10-04-2013 at 01:58 PM.