Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-01-2013, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: E90 320D
Can I reset my powersteering?

A few weeks ago my car broke down; the multi belt had come off. At first the warning light for the battery came on, seconds later there was a warning the battery was no longer being charged. 30 seconds after that the engine warning light came on followed by a message that the engine was overheating, all non-essential systems would be shut down and I should slow down (not stop). I continued my way at 30mp/h for another 2 miles, while I could clearly feel the power beeing pulled out of the car: pushing the gass did very little.

In the meantime I've had both belts in the car replaced, but two effects seem to have appeared:

1. The car has a lazy pickup at low rpm unless I drive it in sportsmode (it's a diesel)
2. The steering has become very heavy.

Re 1: I've had the diesel filter replaced and there seems to be improvement although I am still worried if I didn't completely overheat the engine. I would expect a safety mechanism would prevent this from happening though.

Re2: although the power steering is still working, it is considerably heavier to steer than before the breakdown. I am wondering if this can be reset or if my pump suffered damage; I was towed to a garage 7 miles down the road driving without the engine on and therefore no power steering nor brake support.

Appreciate all input!
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2013, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: E90 320D
Dropped by the BMW garage over the weekend and everything is fine. The car automatically pulls all the power out to prevent further damage, and the heavy steering is in my imagination. I recently rented a car which was much easier to steer and it would seem i got used to that. So topic closed.