Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-01-2013, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E92 328i
iPhone 5 Issue - Dealer Didn't Help

Hi all,

I know no one likes a repost about something that was discussed before but I thought I did a good search to see if I could find any conversations about this and came up short.

Before I begin - thank you all for your time and input!

I have a 2009 328i Coupe with iDrive, light pkg, etc. Ever since I've gotten the car I have used the Aux cord to play music through my iphone 5 but would like to use the USB connection to charge as well. When I plug my iphone 5 USB cord to the car then into my phone it begins charging the phone, but on the display it says USB Not Supported. I wasn't sure if the new iphone 5 cords have issues with the car? Do I need to get an iphone 4 cord then get an adapter for it? BMW of Austin service and parts center really provided me with no help on the matter.

While were on the topic, I bought this car 2 months ago and I wasn't sure if people are aware or familiar with any software updates that I should be doing either on my own or at the dealership for my car. IE: Maps, OS system, etc..

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Happy owner of the best driving machine
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Waiting for the d

Mein Auto: '10 335d
You need 3 things to get your iphone 5 to work through the navi interface. The car must have had the iphone/ipod adapter option selected when the car was built, you need BMW's specific ipod/iphone USB cable that also has an aux output on it. (It has a standard Apple 30-pin on one side and a USB & aux port on the other end.), and finally Apple's 30-pin to lightning adapter. You can't just use Apple's USB-Lightning adapter cable. The newer 2010+ E90's can, but not our cars. If I were you, I'd just get a cigarette lighter-usb charge cable and charge your phone and continue using the aux input adapter.

'10 335d Monaco blue/oyster/SP/PP/Enhanced Premium Sound/nav from phillipek SBBMW
Click Here for Pics!
Old 10-01-2013, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i White/Coral Red
Arsenal,

I just recently purchased a 2011 328i Coupe with iDrive, lighting, etc. My iPhone 5 isn't recognized along with my wife's iPhone 4. We have found that neither Apple Phone works, regardless of 30pin or Lightning.

My car too wasn't built with the BMW Apple interface, so I'm in the same boat as you. Apparently there are aftermarket interfaces that will allow a "factory-ish" integration for Apple support, along with the ability to add the backup camera we all seem to be missing.

-Active
1963 Chevy II White-Red/Grey-Black
2007 Lamborghini LP640 Black/Black - SOLD
2008 Lamborghini Gallardo Yellow/Black - SOLD
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Grey/Black - SOLD
2005 BMW 645ci Silver/Beige - SOLD
2004 Cadillac Escalade Gold/Beige - SOLD
Old 10-02-2013, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E92 328i
That's interesting because Magbarn is stating that any of them newer than 2010 should have this issue fixed? Would love to talk to someone whose got a depth of experience with iDrive to tell me about abilities and functionality as for some reason the dealership by me seems to not be that knowledgeable about it.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Waiting for the d

Mein Auto: '10 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArsenalEd View Post
That's interesting because Magbarn is stating that any of them newer than 2010 should have this issue fixed? Would love to talk to someone whose got a depth of experience with iDrive to tell me about abilities and functionality as for some reason the dealership by me seems to not be that knowledgeable about it.
After March 2010, if your E90 was built with the iphone/ipod option the entertainment system was capable of interfacing directly with your Apple device without the use of a special adapter cable. Ergo with post 3/2010 builds with the apple adapter option (built in at the factory), you can use any Apple supplied USB cable to interface between your car and Apple device without using a proprietary BMW adapter cable.

'10 335d Monaco blue/oyster/SP/PP/Enhanced Premium Sound/nav from phillipek SBBMW
Click Here for Pics!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
After March 2010, if your E90 was built with the iphone/ipod option the entertainment system was capable of interfacing directly with your Apple device without the use of a special adapter cable. Ergo with post 3/2010 builds with the apple adapter option (built in at the factory), you can use any Apple supplied USB cable to interface between your car and Apple device without using a proprietary BMW adapter cable.
I would respectfully disagree. I have a 2011 E92 with a production date of 7/9/2010. It has the 6FL iPod and USB adapter. Only when I use the "Y" adapter do I see iPod as an audio selection choice. If I use the Apple cable, my audio choices include Aux and USB. I do not see iPod.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspressart View Post
I would respectfully disagree. I have a 2011 E92 with a production date of 7/9/2010. It has the 6FL iPod and USB adapter. Only when I use the "Y" adapter do I see iPod as an audio selection choice. If I use the Apple cable, my audio choices include Aux and USB. I do not see iPod.
Same here. My 2011 E90 needs a Y adapter to play music. The dealer told me I could use the apple cable, but he was wrong. No biggie though, I got a Tune2Air from ebay and now I have wireless streaming music through that device using the Y cable.

Ironically, the BMW dealer told me I could use an apple cable and he was wrong. And a Tune2air dealer told me the device would not work in my car, and HE was wrong. funny.