Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-01-2013, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 3.5i
Paddle shifters

Dealer tells me about 10 more days to wait before mine arrives. I ordered the M Sport package with the paddle shifters. When you initiate a downshift, does the engine rev match with the appropriate blip? I'm guessing not.
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2013, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 35i M Sport
I recently test drove an M Sport before ordering one yesterday. Going downhill, I downshifted and did not "notice" any change. Eventually, I noticed the tach jumping up with each shift. It took about 3 gears out of the 8 before I could feel the engine drag effect.

Seems to be seamless, and looking forward to getting mine. Will need to get used to 8 gears instead of 4.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Is this thing on?

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by farg View Post
Dealer tells me about 10 more days to wait before mine arrives. I ordered the M Sport package with the paddle shifters. When you initiate a downshift, does the engine rev match with the appropriate blip? I'm guessing not.
Yes. It does rev-match and it does it nicely due to the double clutch in the tranny. I play with it a lot even though I get the "eye" from wifey...
Old 10-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2oGreggy View Post
Yes. It does rev-match and it does it nicely due to the double clutch in the tranny. I play with it a lot even though I get the "eye" from wifey...
Uh what? X3 doesn't have a double clutch transmission. It has the ZF 8-speed automatic.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:40 AM
Is this thing on?

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsky View Post
Uh what? X3 doesn't have a double clutch transmission. It has the ZF 8-speed automatic.
Uh, yup! I stand corrected. However it does shift beautifully!
Old 10-04-2013, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
The X3 is an automatic as I believe the whole rev match thing is only needed for a manual transmission (I'm no expert though), however the X3's transmission is one of the best shifting automatic's I have driven.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post
The X3 is an automatic as I believe the whole rev match thing is only needed for a manual transmission (I'm no expert though), however the X3's transmission is one of the best shifting automatic's I have driven.
Well aware it's an auto, and can't agree with you that matching not req'd. Take your vehicle out, put it in Drive and go down the road. Put it in a low gear. After you peel yourself off the wind screen, you'll agree marching would be nice.

Thanks all, for your responses BTW
Old 10-04-2013, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
Everything that I have read about rev-matching points to it being done for smoother engagement of the clutch when a vehicle is still moving and you downshift. Since an automatic doesn't have a clutch I don't see how any rev-matching would be required. Here's an article I found on Car and Driver that talks about rev-matching and it is definitely for manual transmissions.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...atch-explained

Last edited by colson79; 10-04-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:40 AM

I'd agree that the existance of a torque convertor mitigates the real need for rev matching, but the fact remains that when you are traveling at 50 mPH in high gear (drive) your engine RPM is low. When you engage a lower gear, your engine RPM goes up, whether auto or manual. The torque convertor softens that blow, but I though it might have been fun to have the built in throttle blip, ala SMG (I know it's a manual at heart).

Oh well.....what the h***, gonna be treat when I get it either way.