Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 10-01-2013, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: E60
Exclamation E60 left rear taillight malfunction

Ok....Now I have a "left rear taillight" malfunction. Then it says "left rear turn signal" and then it says left rear backup light....basically the whole left rear tail malfunction...this normal...all lights to go out? Or does one light out cause the others to malfunction? Any feedback helpful
Ads by Google
Old 10-01-2013, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535XI
E60 left rear taillight malfunction

There is a recall about this just out last week.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-01-2013, 07:38 PM

Great...however, I spoke with BMW customer service, last night, and checked on BMW USA for recalls...there were none. How would I get them to acknowledge the recall...
Old 10-01-2013, 07:49 PM

I'm reading the article about the recall....thanks a lot for the help....I'm gonna call the dealership, show them the article and pound the table if need be. Also, I'm looking at older post....this has been an issue for many e60 owners....same weird behavior from that left rear taillight....thanks...if you have any other info...please post. Thanks again. Heres is the link....
http://t.nbcnews.com/business/bmw-re...lem-4B11215107

Last edited by BMWTRUE; 10-01-2013 at 07:52 PM. Reason: More info..
Old 10-12-2013, 09:46 AM

I'm at the dealer and a couple with a 2013 5series...less than 100 miles comes in with the same taillight issue...this thing is ridiculous... I had to "bite the bullet" and get mine fixed(got pulled over) $318...hope to get reimbursed when recall issued...

Old 10-12-2013, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535i
Evidently, the dealers don't have the "Official" recall info/instructions from BMW.

I lost my right rear lights last weekend, my dealership replaced it this week N/C. However, they only replaced the faulty wiring harness. I may have to go back once the recall is official to have the other side replaced.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeba3 View Post
Evidently, the dealers don't have the "Official" recall info/instructions from BMW.

I lost my right rear lights last weekend, my dealership replaced it this week N/C. However, they only replaced the faulty wiring harness. I may have to go back once the recall is official to have the other side replaced.
They replaced connector and bulb carrier and fitted an additional ground....
Old 10-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
My 07 550i is doing the same thing, it started with a left brake lamp malfunction then moved to the right and now its on to the left tail light malfunction.weird thing is that all my lights still work and that my model year wasnt on the recall list.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:50 AM

Well...I would contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov
OOPS! Nobody is there because of the shutdown. LOL

Old 10-13-2013, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328I
Front driving light wiring

Has anyone heard of a recall on the front day time driving lights? I changed the bulb in my 2008 535I and the insulation on the wiring is missing in some stops. This could possibly short out the light.

http://s1.bimmerfest.com/forums/imag...nsertimage.gif
Old 10-14-2013, 12:15 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E60 525i
I had this problems also. It apears to be loose power supply connector on tail light itself. I hope this helps. Please check it. I had a message on idrive also.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535xi
Tail Light Recall documentation

I just started experiencing this issue this week and found the following on http://www.nhtsa.gov/.
The link to the page within the site that contains the recall documentation:
Recall Acknowledgement, Defect Notice(Part 573) and Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc).

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/..._ids=13V407000
Old 10-25-2013, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535xi
Excluded from recall

Just got word from the dealership my Vin is not included in the recall despite my car exhibiting the behavior that triggered the recall. I have never been involved in anything like this. Do I wait and hope the recall is expanded to included my vehicle? Do I fix it then hope for a reimbursement? Is it normal for a recall to include a certain amount of vehicles then for it to be updated to include more? Should I raise hell with the dealership or report this issue to another entity? Lots of questions I know. Thanks for any effort put forth to answer one or more.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGSL View Post
Just got word from the dealership my Vin is not included in the recall despite my car exhibiting the behavior that triggered the recall. I have never been involved in anything like this. Do I wait and hope the recall is expanded to included my vehicle? Do I fix it then hope for a reimbursement? Is it normal for a recall to include a certain amount of vehicles then for it to be updated to include more? Should I raise hell with the dealership or report this issue to another entity? Lots of questions I know. Thanks for any effort put forth to answer one or more.
Called BMWNA, tell them it's both risk of:
1) getting hit from behind for not having a working parking and brake lights
2) fire hazard being in the trunk (close to gas tank, not to mention all insulation material in there).

BMWNA will contact the dealer and dealer SA will contact you in response.
GL

PS: I fixed mine cause I am out of waranty, not to mention those two risks I mentioned.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: 528i

I'm going through the same issue. Called bmwna, they said my vin is not showing up . Guess I'm gonna have buy the parts and get it fixed.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Recall for brake light

Here's a bit more information for my fellow BMW owners:

#1. Beverly Hills BMW sucks. I called them about this and asked when I could come in, have the recall serviced and grab a loaner. They told me I needed to make an appointment, come in to have it reviewed and if it is an issue, then they would set ANOTHER appointment to have it fixed. Like I have time to hang out at the dealer on multiple days. So. Bay and Nick Alexander would never treat their customers like that.

#2 When I went in, I found that my Jan. 2008 535i wasn't on the recall list. Even though the NTSB lists my car. I was turned away by them.

#3 I sent BMW NA an email to the email address that the NTSB and told them about Beverly Hills BMW service and that I was almost hit because the person behind me didn't see me indicate that I would. It's been 5 days and no response.

#4 Isn't it weird that all us with 5 year old cars are having the same problems at the same time?????

#5. I went in to fix it myself today. When I pulled the plug, the thickest of the wires (the brown one) had melted the plastic on the connector housing. I ended up packing it with dielectric grease and the problem has temporarily stopped and the light it working I don't recommend leaving it due to fire hazard. But it should get me by for a bit until I can raise hell with NA BMW.

Good luck everyone.

Jason
Old 11-12-2013, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbub View Post
Here's a bit more information for my fellow BMW owners:

#1. Beverly Hills BMW sucks. I called them about this and asked when I could come in, have the recall serviced and grab a loaner. They told me I needed to make an appointment, come in to have it reviewed and if it is an issue, then they would set ANOTHER appointment to have it fixed. Like I have time to hang out at the dealer on multiple days. So. Bay and Nick Alexander would never treat their customers like that.

#2 When I went in, I found that my Jan. 2008 535i wasn't on the recall list. Even though the NTSB lists my car. I was turned away by them.

#3 I sent BMW NA an email to the email address that the NTSB and told them about Beverly Hills BMW service and that I was almost hit because the person behind me didn't see me indicate that I would. It's been 5 days and no response.

#4 Isn't it weird that all us with 5 year old cars are having the same problems at the same time?????

#5. I went in to fix it myself today. When I pulled the plug, the thickest of the wires (the brown one) had melted the plastic on the connector housing. I ended up packing it with dielectric grease and the problem has temporarily stopped and the light it working I don't recommend leaving it due to fire hazard. But it should get me by for a bit until I can raise hell with NA BMW.

Good luck everyone.

Jason
I am amazed BMWNA is getting stingy on safety issue, I'd understand when they don't want to cover dead pixels on my radio but still did on instrument-cluster on my out-of-waranty BMW back then(2007).
How many pictures do you need to see of burn ground wires before BMWNA exec is convinced that this is real not isolated incident.

BMW needs to learn from Audi mistake in 80's (unintended acceleration which never acknowledge by Audi-NA) which almost killed the brand name. Audi sales plummeted until the intro of A4 back in 1996.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 550i 08

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1384306956.077333.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	407149this is the reason why mines is doing the same thing do I have to change the entire wires or have it re wired or just that plastic black clip that's burnt out

Old 11-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Old Timer (Really)

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 535i Sport
You need an additional ground wire, that's the one that melted. Do a search on this (and other forums) there's a lot of info about the fix.

2009 535i Sport, Jet Black | Cobb Stage 2 Aggressive | Injen DCI | AR Downpipes | BMS Led Angel Eyes | Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
2008 528i (Retired)
2006 328ci (Retired)
1975 US Army (Retired)
Old 11-12-2013, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 550i 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnie35 View Post
You need an additional ground wire, that's the one that melted. Do a search on this (and other forums) there's a lot of info about the fix.
Is it an easy fix or complicated

Old 11-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Old Timer (Really)

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 535i Sport
Here's a thread (from another forum ... hope that's okay).

This is the page that I posted with photos, etc.

http://forums.5series.net/e60-discus...-117069/page7/

I'll look for the stuff I posted on this forum.

2009 535i Sport, Jet Black | Cobb Stage 2 Aggressive | Injen DCI | AR Downpipes | BMS Led Angel Eyes | Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
2008 528i (Retired)
2006 328ci (Retired)
1975 US Army (Retired)
Old 11-12-2013, 09:18 PM

Hi,

Just a follow up on my comment that Dielectric Grease temporarily fixed the issue; it was an extremely short lived solution. The problem is back after one day. My friend that works at BMW is going to see if he can get it covered under the warranty. He did confirm that my VIN does NOT have the Recall Listed. Even though the NHSTA has it listed.

BTW: here is the recall notice:
RECALL Subject : Tail light Failure
Report Receipt Date: SEP 11, 2013
NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V407000
Component(s): EXTERIOR LIGHTING
All Products Associated with this Recall close
Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s)
BMW528I2008-2010
BMW535I2008-2010
BMW550I2008-2010
BMWM52008-2010

Here is the website to search for recalls AND file complaints. Everyone should file complaints about the melting/fire hazards and all the near rear end accidents:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchVehicles

Here are the documents related to this recall:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...3V407-2309.pdf

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...3V407-5690.pdf

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...3V407-9273.pdf

This is the exact build dates that are included in the recall:
E60 5 Series sedans, including M5, produced from 3/2007 to 12/2009

Hope this helps.

I will you guys know if I end up getting this covered or not.

Jason

Last edited by jasonbub; 11-12-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
I suspect so - but it will take a while to get the notices. Why not go to a dealer and ask them to check?

BMW CCA Member
Old 11-13-2013, 07:23 PM

Hi,

UPDATED Information as 11/13/13.

I spoke with BMW NA. It was truly an infuriating conversation. I provided the recall information, my VIN, model year and build date of the car. I then explained that I was in fact experiencing the exact problem (that I had disconnected the connector and it was melted on the ground pin and that the lights where malfunctioning). The BMW rep (2nd Level) had the audacity to tell me that my *particular* car [even though it was with the period of the recall] was NOT covered b/c the recall covers a very specific set of component combinations and mine does not have ALL of them. I explained that they then must have failed to properly analyze the situation b/c I in fact have the situation occurring with my car. He continued with the company line and wouldn't budge.

I will likely have to implement the "hack" whereby I add another ground wire myself as I am not up for $1200 bill from the dealer to perform the work.

Extremely dissatisfied customer!!!!
Jason
Old 11-13-2013, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: 300M
Interesting to hear about the recall. I had this problem last month on my 08 535xi. I guess timing is everything.

Here's the good news: It was a very easy fix. The replacement bracket was around $40 and included a new ground wire. A breeze to install. Hardest part was removing the cover in the trunk.