Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-02-2013, 08:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
So that ZHP I got to ride in 2 weeks ago? It's for sale.

A coworker of mine just picked up an e39 wagon and has decided to sell his ZHP. It is a 2005 with 80,000 miles and has the 6 speed MT. He has it priced way over book value right now but told me that he would give me a great deal on it if I was serious about it. I did not discuss a price yet, but told him I could pay cash and I'm hoping that would help me out even more.

The Good:

Enthusiast owned, garage kept, only driven a few days a week. It has had the vanos seals redone, valve cover gasket, and plugs replaced. All rims professionally refinished and brand new tires installed. Steering wheel and shifter boot refinished in Alcantara with tri-colored stitching. Exterior and interior are extremely clean, all original. It's a ZHP.

Not So Good:

Seats are gray leather instead of Alcantara. He is the 3rd owner and says he has to try and find any maintenance records from previous owners (this makes me think there aren't any).

I am so torn right now, because I know that I will probably never get as good of a deal on a ZHP as this one. On the other hand, I know from experience that it is going to start needing some maintenance in the next year or two. My car is older with more miles, but I have invested a lot of time and sweat in maintenance, some of which makes me cringe when thinking about having to tackle again. My logical side says to pass on it, but my enthusiast side wants it so bad. I really with the BMW gods would send me some kind of sign.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:11 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfTheLost View Post
I am so torn right now, because I know that I will probably never get as good of a deal on a ZHP as this one. On the other hand, I know from experience that it is going to start needing some maintenance in the next year or two. My car is older with more miles, but I have invested a lot of time and sweat in maintenance, some of which makes me cringe when thinking about having to tackle again. My logical side says to pass on it, but my enthusiast side wants it so bad. I really with the BMW gods would send me some kind of sign.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:12 AM
bmw330pp

Mein Auto: 04 330Ci ZHP, 06 CBR600RR
The Pro's far outweigh the cons, especially because the current owner is an enthusiast, and seems to have taken care of all the common issues. The mileage sounds right for a 2005. My only reservation would be the test drive (which you say you have already done), and a visual inspection to make sure there aren't any accidents, leaks, or other random tidbits on the car.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:49 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
From a practical standpoint, as long as the price is right, you could buy it, have some fun and drive it for 6 or 8 months, then sell it and not really lose any money....you know ZHPs will be in demand for the foreseeable future....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 10-02-2013, 12:07 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Re: So that ZHP I got to ride in 2 weeks ago? It's for sale.

I would do it. Yes it's more to maintain, bit 80k miles is a sweet deal. Mine has 115k more than that, you'd have a LONG life ahead with it. The joys of driving it are beyond logical, rational thought.

Sent from my HTC One X using BimmerApp mobile app

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 10-02-2013, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
do iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt
u already know what it takes to maintain a BMW E46, so it should be easy for you.
plus the basic maintenance are already done as you mentioned, so it should last you a good 6 months to a year troubles free with that lower-ish mileage.
good luck

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 10-03-2013, 06:04 AM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI

If you can afford it treat yourself. 80k miles on an e46 is getting harder and harder to come by. Sounds like uou would always regret not buying it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 10-03-2013, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Good milage on this car, you only live once, if your buddy will cut you a good deal, I say go for it. N4S
Old 10-03-2013, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Let at least one rational action prevail; get a PPI before you take action.

And you know your buddy. How aggressively has the car been treated under his ownership?
Old 10-03-2013, 08:58 AM

Update:

So I emailed the guy a cash offer yesterday evening, and it doesn't look like he wants to give me as good of a deal as I had hoped for. He emailed me back a list of expenses he has kept up with since his ownership (~2 years) and while it is roughly about 4 grand worth of stuff, most of it is cosmetics. Things like wheel refinishing, the alcantara trim, dead peadal, tires, etc. I made the mistake with my car the first go round by buying it with no record of any maintenance, and it's just not something I want to have to go through full circle again. I think I am just going to hold off for now, even if it means getting one with more mileage in the future but with more maintenance already performed.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:30 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Re: So that ZHP I got to ride in 2 weeks ago? It's for sale.

Quote:
Update:

So I emailed the guy a cash offer yesterday evening, and it doesn't look like he wants to give me as good of a deal as I had hoped for. He emailed me back a list of expenses he has kept up with since his ownership (~2 years) and while it is roughly about 4 grand worth of stuff, most of it is cosmetics. Things like wheel refinishing, the alcantara trim, dead peadal, tires, etc. I made the mistake with my car the first go round by buying it with no record of any maintenance, and it's just not something I want to have to go through full circle again. I think I am just going to hold off for now, even if it means getting one with more mileage in the future but with more maintenance already performed.
I hate it when people think maintenance/cosmetic mods are recoverable costs. I e got $4900 worth of maintenance history in 22 months and I bought the car for $10k. Doesn't make it worth $15k. It's worth about $8k.

Tell him to suck it

Sent from my HTC One X using BimmerApp mobile app

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 10-03-2013, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: '05 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Tell him to suck it
Agreed
'05 Mazda Tribute s AWD - 99,000 miles
Old 10-03-2013, 02:58 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Mein Auto: 2002 325i Auto

What is he asking for it? Sounds like a nice car with the best package.

I would not pay more than, let's say, 11-12K for it. Although it sounds really nice.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-03-2013, 03:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to JJ3699
Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Quote:
Update:

Great job making a decision with your head instead of your emotions!
That is one of the hardest things to do when it comes to cars and especially BMW's older vehicles

.................BMW 4 LIFE.....................
Old 10-03-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
I would not pay more than, let's say, 11-12K for it. Although it sounds really nice.
The KBB value on it is roughly $12500. I know with more sought after cars that people can usually get over the blue book price, but I offered him $14000 cash and he said no. There's no way I could spend any more than that with the upcoming maintenance due on the horizon, even if it is a 6 speed.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
The KBB value on it is roughly $12500. I know with more sought after cars that people can usually get over the blue book price, but I offered him $14000 cash and he said no. There's no way I could spend any more than that with the upcoming maintenance due on the horizon, even if it is a 6 speed.
Post his email here so about 30 or 40 of us can email him with lowball offers, thereby making your offer look much more attractive....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 10-03-2013, 04:55 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
It isn't worth that much either. It is a $10k car. Period. I don't care if it has 60k miles, it is almost a 10 year old car.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 10-03-2013, 07:58 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Mein Auto: 2002 325i Auto
He refused 14K cash...OK...good luck to him.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 323i, Ducati M1100
Quote:
Post his email here so about 30 or 40 of us can email him with lowball offers, thereby making your offer look much more attractive....
I would be HAPPY to send him an email with a lowball figure if it would benefit you. lol

When I saw your post and location, my gears started turning, since I'm from NoVa, but hopes were dashed when you I read your offer and that it ws refused. I just can't justify parting with that much money (even though it's a ZHP) when my car is just fine. Especially when the deal isn't that sweet.

Looks like we're in the same boat. I'll just save my nickels, let some time pass, and hopefully I'll come across a ZHP in the future that's meant for me. I'll keep the faith...
Old 10-06-2013, 05:20 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
It isn't worth that much either. It is a $10k car. Period. I don't care if it has 60k miles, it is almost a 10 year old car.
I disagree, it's worth what people will pay for it, and a ZHP like that one will easily fetch $12-13k. And a dealer would ask $18k.

My car's worth maybe $10k KBB, but I wouldn't sell it for less than $16k.

To the OP, I don't think he's being a dick, he's being overly optimistic. He'll put his car up for $17k for a few months, get zero offers, and come back to reality.

And my ZHP recently hit 100k, and it cost me like $4k in the last year, so I don't view 80k miles as a plus, it's the mileage where the owners has either put off a lot of maintenance, or knows he's about to have to do the whole suspension, cooling system etc.

PS I don't view all 4 wheels needing refinishing a plus. I've never dinged any of my wheels in 9 years.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:00 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post

My car's worth maybe $10k KBB, but I wouldn't sell it for less than $16k.
No, you just wouldn't sell it because nobody is stupid enough to pay $16k for an E46 when there are plenty of E91/92/93's in that range.

I am all for the free market, and you may get a sucker to pay $16k, but personally, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night after screwing someone so badly.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 10-06-2013, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
No, you just wouldn't sell it because nobody is stupid enough to pay $16k for an E46 when there are plenty of E91/92/93's in that range.

I am all for the free market, and you may get a sucker to pay $16k, but personally, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night after screwing someone so badly.
It's supply and demand. I like mine too much to sell it for $12k, or $14k, or $15k etc. I'm sure a lot of ZHP owners are the same. What would you replace it with? For me it would have to be something like a 2011 335i, which is $35k.

There's not an E9x in the $16k range that I would be happy trading in for.

That's why ZHPs are expensive, and why the OP's seller won't sell at $14k.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:31 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
It's supply and demand. I like mine too much to sell it for $12k, or $14k, or $15k etc. I'm sure a lot of ZHP owners are the same. What would you replace it with? For me it would have to be something like a 2011 335i, which is $35k.

There's not an E9x in the $16k range that I would be happy trading in for.

That's why ZHPs are expensive, and why the OP's seller won't sell at $14k.
I get your point, I guess I am just unlike most people. I believe you should sell things at a fair price. For example, I just sold my black cube trim for $199. A lot of people ask $350 and more.

Gouge not lest ye be gouged!

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 10-06-2013, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
He refused 14K cash...OK...good luck to him.
My thought exactly. N4S
Old 10-06-2013, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
Quote:
I get your point, I guess I am just unlike most people. I believe you should sell things at a fair price. For example, I just sold my black cube trim for $199. A lot of people ask $350 and more.

Gouge not lest ye be gouged!
A fair price is whatever the supplier and demander agree upon with no coercion or fraud. Everything else is just disequilibria