Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-02-2013, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: E90 LCI 330d
E90 LCI 330d - Low frequency vibrations in steering wheel and pedals

Hi

I'm looking for some advice as this is driving me a bit nuts.

I've got a E90 LCI (2009) 330d and I've noticed that I'm getting low frequency vibrations coming from the steering wheel and pedals when the car is idle. It doesn't matter whether its from cold or if I've been driving it for a while.

When driving, the frequency of the vibrations increase. The faster the car goes, the frequency of the vibrations increases.

I wouldn't class the vibrations as a judder and I wouldn't class it as violent. It's like a low hum (if that makes sense). The upshot is that I end up with aches and pains in my wrists (after driving for over an hour) and I end up with some pain in my legs.

This is what I have had done:

1. Replaced all tyres (run-flats).
2. All wheels re-balanced (I know that this wouldn't affect the vibrations when idle).
3. Took the car to Coopers BMW (Croydon) for a diagnostic.

Coopers BMW

The technician told me that I should expect the steering wheel and pedals on all Diesel cars to vibrate (even though he didn't call it vibrations) due to the size of the engine etc. He also drove the car and didn't notice anything. He told me that the car was perfectly fine.

I then asked if they had a couple of other BMW 3 litre diesels that I could have a look at. I sat in a 530d (same age as my car and same engine) and the steering and pedals vibrated at a higher frequency than mine (it was more noticeable). I then sat in a 335d (E92 same age as mine) and the vibrations were exactly the same as mine). I didn't take the cars out for a drive.

In Summary

So by all this I'm quite confused and unhappy. I'm really not sure what to do next. So, I have the following questions:

1. If you've got a E90 330d, do you feel any vibrations in the steering and pedals in idle?
2. When driving (any speed), do you notice the frequency of the vibrations increase?
3. Does anyone have the same experience where you end up with pains in your wrists and legs?

I do have a warranty with the car but it's proving a bit difficult when they don't think there is a problem with the car

Thanks in advance and any advice would be much appreciated. Right now, I'm feeling that I've made a big mistake in purchasing BMW and I'm not sure I would do so in the future

I previously had an E46 330d and it was amazing.

Regards
Harris
Ads by Google
Old 10-02-2013, 09:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Playing around with my e90 suspension caused some odd steering vibrations and even my new m3 had some anomalies and the m5 I'm in now does some weird stuff. Bottom line if you're under factory warranty keep taking it back as much as you want. If you're out of warranty liked 335i and m5 I'd paid for an inspection or two from a shop that's active on forums or known in the community and if they signed off on it I'd just roll with it
Old 10-02-2013, 10:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokharih View Post
I wouldn't class the vibrations as a judder and I wouldn't class it as violent. It's like a low hum (if that makes sense). The upshot is that I end up with aches and pains in my wrists (after driving for over an hour) and I end up with some pain in my legs.

Croyden....England?

I've driven diesels that were difficult to tell apart from gas engines. You have pain? Strange. Do you have sensitive joints?

First things first: Do you have codes? Being new, just one post as of this writing, you may not be aware that OBDII has a generic and proprietary list of codes. A code reader such as THIS resolves the issue.

Does it vary with engine rpm?

Does it vary with speed regardless of gear or engine rpm?

Does it happen on smooth roads?
Old 10-03-2013, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: E90 LCI 330d
Hi Calwaterboy

Yes, Croydon, England.

I don't have joint problems, I've driven many different cars including other Diesels and this is the first time.

This is why I'm kind of thinking there's a problem with the car. As far as my local BMW, there are no problems with the car and no errors are being displayed on the car.

Yes, it just varies with speed - the frequency of the vibrations just increases. It's never violent and there's no judder.

It doesn't matter what roads I drive on.

BMW have said that the car is perfectly fine and they have checked the engine mounts.

Regards
Harris
Old 10-03-2013, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokharih View Post
....it just varies with speed - the frequency of the vibrations just increases. It's never violent and there's no judder.

If you're saying always varies with speed in the same way, imbalance south of the transmission. Wheels balanced lately?

Could well be a driveshaft issue. Poss differential. Wheel[s]. You need an expert with diagnostic tools to measure vibration! Of interest: frequency vs speed.

Can you ID where the source would be? Locate that li'l devil and put it to rest....luck!