Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-02-2013, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: X1
X3 35i ordered on Saturday. Is BMW messing with us on the tires?

Hi All,

I placed an order Saturday for a 2014 35i. I'm excited and can't wait to receive it!

I ordered it with the 19" wheels, which come with Goodyear LS-2's. Research shows these tires are absolutely horrible.

I wanted to switch them out with the 960AS Run Flats, however no one makes an all season run flat with the required load index of 102 except Goodyear.

Research shows BMW upped the load index on the 19" tires this year (it used to be 98 which would allow me to choose any run flat I wanted). Is BMW doing this to force us into the Goodyears? Maybe to placate Goodyear for offering BMW a great price on OEM tires?

I also got the BMW tire and wheel warranty and I can image if I incur rim damage, and the tires I have on the X3 are not the proper load index, BMW denying the warranty claim.

Being in DFW area, I just can't chance running summer only tires.
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Why would you change the tire if you already pay like $1500 for the tire insurance?
Old 10-02-2013, 04:28 PM

I got the insurance for significantly less than $1500. Also, I purchased it to protect the rims more than the tires.

I bent three 17" rims on my MINI but the runflats were always fine.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowboxer View Post
I got the insurance for significantly less than $1500. Also, I purchased it to protect the rims more than the tires.

I bent three 17" rims on my MINI but the runflats were always fine.
If you do a search on the X3 forums, you will not find any instance of bent rims on the X3, maybe just the BMW sedans with low profile tires. Basically, you are buying an over priced tire insurance with a hugh dealer mark up. If you bought the BMW tire insurance, it only covers OEM tires.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:50 AM

Respectfully, I didn't ask for opinions on the warranty.

Factually, you are wrong about it covering only OEM tires as I have it in writing stating otherwise.

Thirdly, I do not subscribe to the theory that if no one on the forum has not bent a rim, then it can't happen. I commute 90 miles a day, 80 of which is through major highway reconstruction zones.

This is not a thread to debate the merits of the tire and wheel warranty.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
If you do a search on the X3 forums, you will not find any instance of bent rims on the X3, maybe just the BMW sedans with low profile tires. Basically, you are buying an over priced tire insurance with a hugh dealer mark up. If you bought the BMW tire insurance, it only covers OEM tires.

How can you make this statement without quoting what the actual dealer cost is vs. what I paid for it?

Again, I wasn't asking about personal opinions on the perceived value of the warranty.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:42 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Hi All,

I placed an order Saturday for a 2014 35i. I'm excited and can't wait to receive it!

I ordered it with the 19" wheels, which come with Goodyear LS-2's. Research shows these tires are absolutely horrible.

I wanted to switch them out with the 960AS Run Flats, however no one makes an all season run flat with the required load index of 102 except Goodyear.

Research shows BMW upped the load index on the 19" tires this year (it used to be 98 which would allow me to choose any run flat I wanted). Is BMW doing this to force us into the Goodyears? Maybe to placate Goodyear for offering BMW a great price on OEM tires?

I also got the BMW tire and wheel warranty and I can image if I incur rim damage, and the tires I have on the X3 are not the proper load index, BMW denying the warranty claim.

Being in DFW area, I just can't chance running summer only tires.
Congrats on your X3!

I am aware of the mixed reviews on the Goodyears - I have them on my X3 3.5 M Sport. I have an alternative POV. We have 10K miles on our X3, and use our X3 for long distance fast cruising duty, frequent 25 mile commutes into DC, and also for frequent outings to West Virginia. At first, I was also apprehensive about the tires as being the weak link in our X3, however the tires have complemented the X3 nicely. The tires have provided lots of traction in challenging circumstances, and wear has been minimal. Moreover, I frequently drive our X3 in a spirited manner and the tires have been willing partners, while also providing a comfortable quiet ride.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
Congrats on your X3!

I am aware of the mixed reviews on the Goodyears - I have them on my X3 3.5 M Sport. I have an alternative POV. We have 10K miles on our X3, and use our X3 for long distance fast cruising duty, frequent 25 mile commutes into DC, and also for frequent outings to West Virginia. At first, I was also apprehensive about the tires as being the weak link in our X3, however the tires have complemented the X3 nicely. The tires have provided lots of traction in challenging circumstances, and wear has been minimal. Moreover, I frequently drive our X3 in a spirited manner and the tires have been willing partners, while also providing a comfortable quiet ride.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm glad to hear that the tires may not be as awful as I've read. I don't expect them to be fantastic tires, but merely decent will be enough for now.

Thanks again for your post.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Respectfully, I didn't ask for opinions on the warranty.

Factually, you are wrong about it covering only OEM tires as I have it in writing stating otherwise.

Thirdly, I do not subscribe to the theory that if no one on the forum has not bent a rim, then it can't happen. I commute 90 miles a day, 80 of which is through major highway reconstruction zones.

This is not a thread to debate the merits of the tire and wheel warranty.
You do not need to justify to me about buying the tire and wheel insurance, as long as it makes you feel better, thats all that matter.

It looks like BMW change the wording on their website about the tire and wheel insurance, it use to say it only covers OEM approved tires and rims, now it states:

"Tires and wheels will be replaced using
original equipment manufacturer (OEM)
rims and OEM-approved tires and parts."

Which pretty much means the same thing since you do not want 1 OEM tires and the other 3 tires to be different.

The bad reviews you have read about bent rims must have been from the 5 series and 3 series, they had a lot of problem with Good Year's sidewall bubbling up and bent rims. I had the same GY Eagle LS on 2 of my older cars and your original statment were right, they are horrible. Pretty bad traction in snow and rain, thread life is very short, sidewall bubble easily and the ride is very hard. With that said, the 18" OEM pirelli is only marginally better and its not offer in the 19" size. Bridgestone and Conti make better tires in that size, but it is not offer as OEM.

Here is a good thread on the infamous Good Year Eagle LS tire:

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...ighlight=eagle
Old 10-03-2013, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
I have 19" Goodyear LS2's on my 2011 and they have been fine other than the fact the tread is down to 2/32 with only 15,000 miles on them. I'm ditching them next week and going with a standard tire.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
I have 19" Goodyear LS2's on my 2011 and they have been fine other than the fact the tread is down to 2/32 with only 15,000 miles on them. I'm ditching them next week and going with a standard tire.
If you were to buy another set of runflats, would you buy the Good year?
Old 10-03-2013, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: X3
I'm a bit confused here... Tire Rack says that the OE tire on a 2014 X3 35i with M sport is the Pirelli PZero summer tire... is that exclusive with the M sport package and a non-sport with 19s come with the Goodyears?
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 10-03-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
If you were to buy another set of runflats, would you buy the Good year?
I think I would try something else just because they wore down so fast. Everything else though was fine with them (road noise, grip etc).
Old 10-04-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC View Post
I'm a bit confused here... Tire Rack says that the OE tire on a 2014 X3 35i with M sport is the Pirelli PZero summer tire... is that exclusive with the M sport package and a non-sport with 19s come with the Goodyears?
The PZero are usually found in the warmer states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
I think I would try something else just because they wore down so fast. Everything else though was fine with them (road noise, grip etc).
THe Pirelli is not much better, I only have 10K on them and they are half gone. Thats the problem with run-flats, the tire choice is very limited, its even worst for 19" tires.

Last edited by The X Men; 10-04-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC View Post
I have M-Sport package and I have the goodyears.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsky View Post
I have M-Sport package and I have the goodyears.
Thanks, Drewsky and The X Men (hey! Pretty good name for a rock band! ) so BMW, the company that makes these Ultimate Driving Machines, puts Goodyear Eagle LS2 all-season grand touring (e.g., non-performance) tires on X3s with the M sport package. That's really swell news and I am thrilled all to pieces to hear it...
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 10-12-2013, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
The Bridgestones are no better than the GoodYear, or at least not enough to be worth paying to replace the GoodYears - The GY's have been ok on my car, much better than any Bridgestone runflats I have ever owned.

If you want good high performance runflats, get Michelins, unfortunately they make nothing the right size currently, so I would go Pirelli or Continental personally.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:14 AM

Just got Continental Extreme DWS put on and LOVE them.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
The Bridgestones are no better than the GoodYear, or at least not enough to be worth paying to replace the GoodYears - The GY's have been ok on my car, much better than any Bridgestone runflats I have ever owned.

If you want good high performance runflats, get Michelins, unfortunately they make nothing the right size currently, so I would go Pirelli or Continental personally.
Thanks roadkillrob. Good to know the other brand RF's aren't really any better than the GY's in this instance.

When I had my MINI and got loaner cars I tried every run flat there was. Compared to those, the new Bridgestone's were superior. But doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle in this instance.

If I was willing to go with non-runflats I'd go with the new Michelin's A/S 3's that just came out.