Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-02-2013, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: 04 325i
Real 0-60 times

So a quick question on real life 0-60 times. I just purchased a 2004 325i with only 30000 miles on it.The car is in great shape, rides and drives great and feels very quick at off the line and at the top end. Well I had to take the 325 into the shop and they gave me a 3 year old 328, stick,as a loaner. I knew it would be faster than my 325 but WOW I wasn't prepared for how much faster. So I did a couple quick 0-60 runs with mine and came out at 9 seconds.

Now I know the published for this model is in the 7.2 range and I am truly not looking for straight speed, I like to drive, but is a 9 second 0-60 run reasonable for this car? If not any suggestions on getting this time down a bit? Is the a Vanos issue I am compiling a list of things that I would to do for this car but these things need to be spaced out a bit.
Ads by Google
Old 10-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
If you`re looking for straight-line acceleration, you`re in the wrong house. E46s are all about going fast around twisty back roads, but not on the drag strip....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 10-02-2013, 05:53 PM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Real 0-60 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
If you`re looking for straight-line acceleration, you`re in the wrong house. E46s are all about going fast around twisty back roads, but not on the drag strip....
Agreed. Plus, let's say you got your 0-60 to 9 seconds. What about people with 8,7,6,5,4,3,2 and 1(yes they exist) second cars? You will always want to go faster.

It's a lot easier to make a car handle better than go faster. Your car is famous for it's handling, don't worry about the power or 0-60(which is an almost useless stat in my eyes anyway).

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 10-02-2013, 06:25 PM

I agree completely, like I said I like to drive and this car certainly drives. I was just wondering if that time was typical for the 325, I also discovered the sport mode that picks things up a bit too.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:28 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
My car is supposed to go 0-60 in 5.6 seconds (Stock ZHP 6MT) and I think the best I've ever gotten was maybe a 6.2 or 6.3. If I was so inclined, I could beat on my clutch all day to get the launch just perfect and get close to 5.6, but why? My car is a MONSTER around the corners and I can dive DEEEEEEEP into a corner before braking and carry my speed all the way through. You may do 0-60 faster in another car, but not many turn and brake (important in REAL driving) as well as your bimmer.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 10-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 325Ci Convertible
That stuff didn't even come close to answering his question........
Yes.. 9 seconds is about normal 0-60 for a 325

as far as 0-60 being useless, I find 0-60 and quarter mile to be a good judge of day to day driving.... Yes the BMW will do great on a track, but I know you aren't driving on a track every day & I hope you aren't taking turns on the street in the same way you would on a track. However I can indeed see the use of I need to get up to speed quickly. Maybe not drive all out in a quarter mile on the highway, but get off a redlight and infront of some people that won't let you over when you need to make the next exit. .. 0-60 is very useable highway speeds.

But yes.. your BMW is slower than your mother's Hyundai and she thinks it's funny... which is a good reason for me not to visit my mother..
Old 10-02-2013, 06:40 PM

Thanks Smolck It was partly your you tubes and discussions that I was thinking of when I took the times. My 325 handles and corners great and is a blast.

Since it is new to me and a little bit older tying to make sure that all is right with the car
Old 10-02-2013, 06:43 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmeece View Post
Thanks Smolck It was partly your you tubes and discussions that I was thinking of when I took the times. My 325 handles and corners great and is a blast.

Since it is new to me and a little bit older tying to make sure that all is right with the car
IIRC, my 323i (when it had an auto) would 0-60 in just under 8 seconds. You could be down on power. I'd have to know your maintenance history though. But if I read your post right, the car only has 30,000 miles. I don't see how the "usual" stuff would be worn out. I'd probably do a fuel filter due to sheer age, but other than that, not much needed at that mileage.

What about a nice clean air filter and a MAF cleansing with CRC MAF cleaner? Cost you $20 and it wouldn't be the first time someone FELT a difference from those things.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 10-02-2013, 06:52 PM

That is right i just turn over 30,000 , Air filter should have been changed on at the check up before I bought it. I dont know about the MAP sensor but I can easily clean it. Maint history is pretty straight forward.

Thanks for the help
Old 10-02-2013, 06:56 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmeece View Post
That is right i just turn over 30,000 , Air filter should have been changed on at the check up before I bought it. I dont know about the MAP sensor but I can easily clean it. Maint history is pretty straight forward.

Thanks for the help
Just remember, the below picture is NO place for a BMW and looks just plain stupid. Drag slicks on a independent rear axle car? Really? C'Mon, if you plan to do that, why not buy a solid rear axle muscle car? That diff won't last long (nor the half shafts) doing that.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:

Last edited by smolck; 10-02-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Real 0-60 times

To the OP, nothing drives like a BMW.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app