Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-03-2013, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 325i
Problem w/ interior trim clips

Didn't see this specific question anywhere else so here goes: I have a 2005 325i, but I believe the interior trim clips (plastic with a metal rod center) are the same across many models and years. I have purchased bags of these things over about 3 years, but the simulated wood trim pieces on the upper part of the rear doors just keep coming off. I have worked with the trim pieces, since they can be bent, to make sure they are not curved and putting undue pressure on the clips. In three years, I have probably installed 50 clips and the trim pieces have never stayed on more than a few weeks.

Has anyone found a way to help the clips stay positioned in the slots for a longer period?
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
I know what you're talking about and saw several new plastic "cups" crack over a short pd. after a refresh recently. When I redid them the last time I tried to not seat the pin too deep into the cup. Seems to be holding up better or maybe I haven't gone long enough for it to fail again. Ones that were just a little cracked I think I might have superglued the cracks then reinstalled.

If the plastic is too loose in the door panel, I wonder if a bead of dried glue on one side of each hole might tighten things up?
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 10-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
Problem w/ interior trim clips

Just glue the clips in the dish holes.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Member No. 470379
Old 10-07-2013, 05:44 PM

Thanks, ahull and halltristan! I had already decided to try gluing them in but wasn't sure that might mess things up for future work/access. Glad to see I'm not the only one experiencing this issue. Thanks for the input!
Old 10-07-2013, 07:07 PM

Well I wasn't saying to glue them in I was saying a bead of dried glue, or maybe dried rtv to build up the hole in the door panel so the cups fit tighter. Not sure I'd glue them in. Regulators
Old 10-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Live Life

Mein Auto: 325i Sedan
I had the same issue.. I bought several packs of after market clips from Bavauto.. and it continued.. I then bought the oem clips from bmw.. different design, diff plastic, and metal retainers... BUT i could not understand how they at the factory made them fit without destroying the panel. Extremely tight and the ears to hold in the panel were very big...

I modified them.. i took a file to the middle where it sits when in place.. Filed a deeper notch in one side, to be able to slip it in panel. Once in place, it isnt coming out.. and the trim has not let loose anymore
Old 10-07-2013, 09:55 PM

Madrone, my problem seems to be that the metal plug in the middle is just a little too small. ahull, great point! I think I will give that a try...build up the edges with glue or something, then push in the retainers. Maybe I could combine that technique with Madrone's idea of putting in a notch, once the edges are built up just a bit. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:56 AM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahull View Post
Well I wasn't saying to glue them in I was saying a bead of dried glue, or maybe dried rtv to build up the hole in the door panel so the cups fit tighter. Not sure I'd glue them in. Regulators
I agree. You could also try caulk. Fill the hole and then press the clip in. Should hold just fine and allow you to remove the trim pieces in the future.

Member No. 470379
Old 10-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Live Life

Mein Auto: 325i Sedan
The oem bimmer clips are of different size. Outside dimensions are bigger and the metal retainer inside is smaller... You can also order new metal plugs that attactch to the trim piece.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: e46
order the metal plugs from where? i cannot find them 8266808 8266813
Old 03-04-2014, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magichour View Post
order the metal plugs from where? i cannot find them 8266808 8266813
Dealers should have plenty. I couldn't find elsewhere.