Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-03-2013, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 328i
Mysterious Throttle/Tranny Issue

My 2008 328i w/ auto transmission has been showing mysterious throttle/tranny behavior recently. Sometimes when I push the throttle it shows some hesitation and noticeable vibration. Most of the time I just let go the gas pedal and try again, and it is fine. But sometimes when I am stuck in traffic, the vibration is more noticeable when accelerating. The feeling is a little bit like driving a manual without knowing how to balance the throttle and clutch.

The scary part is today in the highway when trying to overtake, the engine stalled. I pushed down the gas pedal, in less than 1 second, the car was jerking with DTC light on and then the engine just died with check engine light on turned on. I managed to shift to N and glide to the shoulder. I turned the engine off and it restarted normally, no warning light stayed on. I think the engine died like shifting a manual improperly, instead of DTC related, but not sure.

After restart it behaved normally for a while, and then it is intermittently showing the weird jerking/vibration behavior again.now when I push down the gas pedal, I would pray that it gives me power, and when I feel a jerk I pray that it is just the bumpy road. Pretty scared of driving long range with this car after that episode.

I plan to call my trusted Indy shop to get it looked at as it is out of warranty. I just got the battery cable recall repair and oil service done a few weeks ago, and the dealer found nothing abnormal. The car has been behaving like it was new until recently. Is there any easy DIY diagnostic that I can do to isolate the problem? based on my research some of my hypotheses are problems with the eccentric sensor, fuel injector or just the transmission/throttle control software.
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2013, 02:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuntilanak View Post
My 2008 328i w/ auto transmission has been showing mysterious throttle/tranny behavior recently.

Before you go, take a peek at THIS
Old 10-04-2013, 12:07 PM

Thanks! I decided to have the dealer take a look at it. As I don't feel safe driving the car. Still waiting to hear what the diagnosis is. The good news is if it is the VANOS, it should be covered under CA Emission warranty.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:49 PM

Update: Dealer says it is failing eccentric camshaft sensor. Dealer wants $1,800. From the threads here looks like a doable DIY +$400-500 parts. But I am a little nervous about opening the valve cover.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuntilanak View Post
Update: Dealer says it is failing eccentric camshaft sensor. Dealer wants $1,800. From the threads here looks like a doable DIY +$400-500 parts. But I am a little nervous about opening the valve cover.

First DIY? An excellent experience in which you'll overcome problems and gain expertise.

Proceed!

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 10-05-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:07 AM

@Calwaterboy, Thanks for the help. Even better, ,after further research and help from this forum and e90post, I found that this should be covered under 7yr/7k miles CA Emissions Warranty. So now I am shifting from DIY tech mode to DIY lawyer mode.

I am an engineer with a desk job. So I practice my craft on my cars and home. I do a lot of things myself like oil change, replacing brake rotors, alarm install, etc. But changing this sensor would have been the most tedious thing I do. But this forum makes it easier.