Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-04-2013, 05:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
excessive rear tire wear 330i 6 speed 2006

Ok I am getting ready to place a third set of rear tires on my 330i this year! I have put about 10k miles on it this year. In prior years I could make a set last about a year, I average 30k a year in mileage, this year is less because of commuting distance and travel schedule. My mechanic suggested early this year that he should change the rear suspension so that my tires would wear evenly instead of the inside of the tires wearing out which was happening before. I can only think that once he made the change is when I started having the problem with excessive tread wear.

Can anyone help me on this? I really don't like replacing the tires every 2-3 months...

Thanks for your help!!!
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2013, 06:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328i
start with alignment.

if you are running rft's, make sure you keep your pressure on the high side of the range. I found running low(er) pressures caused the inboard side to get a strange wear step.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
I have found that BMW's eat tires much faster than the tread wear number would lead you to think. N4S
Old 10-04-2013, 06:49 AM

I switched from run flats to regular tires a while ago, I found that I can limp somewhere if need be since the tires are low profile and the sidewalls actually can withstand a short ride.

It wasn't until the suspension was changed that I am having this problem...

Thanks for your input though!
Old 10-04-2013, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
With your high annual mileage, have you considered the Conti DWS tires? I mounted a pair on my 128i and found that the performance was excellent, once allowances were made for the rather soft sidewalls. While the car was traded with only 16k on the tires, the projected rear tire life was about 25,000 miles - assuming replacement at 3/32".

Tom
Old 10-04-2013, 11:12 AM

This isn't a brand of tire issue, i have been able to get 20-25k miles out of tires before. As an example, the last set that lasted 4 months were Yokohama avid envigors, I purchased these again because the last time I purchased them I know they lasted about a year....this last go around they lasted 4 months with very few miles put on them. My question is, has anyone adjusted the rear suspension from the stock "autobahn" suspension (so the tires sit squarer on the road) and as a result has anyone noticed increased wear?
Thanks for your input.....
Old 10-04-2013, 11:17 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Absolutely get your tire shop to align the rear wheels to take out the aggressive "splay footed" stance. Our 2002 330i wore the inside bead badly on the rears until we corrected this.

For some reason our 2009 328i was not set up like this and we have gotten 42k from the OEM tires.

You might give up a little in cornering but if you are cornering fast enough to notice then that is what is wearing your tires.

Also pay attention to the higher inflation pressure called for on the rear tires.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 10-04-2013, 11:39 AM

Too much camber will accelerate wear. Too much toe in/out will eat your tires.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Have your bushings checked out. If your bushings are worn, they can cause dynamic changes in your suspension alignment. So while the car may align perfectly on the rack, it will change as you drive.

Also you can have the toe brought closer to zero. This will help reduce inner tire wear.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 10-05-2013, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmuench View Post
Ok I am getting ready to place a third set of rear tires on my 330i this year! I have put about 10k miles on it this year. In prior years I could make a set last about a year, I average 30k a year in mileage, this year is less because of commuting distance and travel schedule. My mechanic suggested early this year that he should change the rear suspension so that my tires would wear evenly instead of the inside of the tires wearing out which was happening before. I can only think that once he made the change is when I started having the problem with excessive tread wear.

Can anyone help me on this? I really don't like replacing the tires every 2-3 months...

Thanks for your help!!!
We assume that you have not altered your suspension from its original condition (i.e. lowered the car). At about seven years old your suspension parts are getting old and weary...I agree with other posters in here that your bushings need a close examination.

Don't bother with an alignment until these parts are checked out. Matter of fact, have all the "critical wear" suspension parts checked out for excessive wear before wasting money on an alignment.

If your averaging 30K per year...that tells me that you're in the 200K miles+ zone and that critical suspension repair/replacement may be overdue.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 10-06-2013, 12:33 PM

Your mechanic changed something and your tires wear out faster. Do they still have uneven wear? Or do they wear evenly, but quickly?

If he didn't replace parts he adjusted something. Get an alignment check.