Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-04-2013, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Really pissed ! And dont know what to do

Bought a 2007 335i from a very reputable large dealerahip less then a month ago. They told me that the car was in perfect condition even showed me where they did a 150 point inspection and that there was no oil or transmission fluid was leaking, the water pump had been replaced, both front and rear pads and rotors were replaced. Showed me the car fax that stated the car was a cpo car from bmw 2 years ago and all I had to do was call bmw to have it transfered to my name. So here we are not even 4 weeks later and I start my car this morning and the half yellow engine light pops on . I have no power what so ever and it feels like my turbos are not responding at all. So take it to the bmw dealership to have it diagnosed and low and behold all of my plugs need to be replaced but even better that all of my fuel injectors are bad and I am leaking oil from my oil cover gasket. And to top it all off that my bmw was never a cpo car and I couldnt get any warranty now because the car was already modded with a chip, new software and a after market intercooler. I called the dealership back and spoke to the general manager and he told me that he would look into it but his techs are world class trained and that the oil leak isnt a leak at all that its just "seepage" so I just spent 17k on the car and now have to drop another 4k on everything else. Any advice ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 10-04-2013, 08:47 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
I would be very skeptical about all my injectors going down at the same time. You never said how much mileage the car has but plugs are good to change every 25K or so if the car is being pushed. Oil leak - are you getting light smoke or a burnt oil smell? Might only be seepage but typically BMW valve cover gaskets suck. Changed one on a 330CI which is an N/A engine & it was pretty easy. 335's are a bit harder but the gasket & plugs are a reasonable DIY project.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 10-04-2013, 09:01 PM

Re: Really pissed ! And dont know what to do

Car has 85k miles on it and in all honesty I am completely fine changing my plugs as I know that is just normal wear and tear but as for the " seepage " I even asked the tech about it and they stated that it was alot more then just seepage. And the way it was explained to me about the injectors is 2 are bad ( even showed me the black spark plugs) and because they were the old injectors with the outdated software that replacing only those 2 might cause issues as well so it was their recommendations I replace all of them

Old 10-04-2013, 09:02 PM

Re: Really pissed ! And dont know what to do

Sorry also getting a light white smoke when I put my foot to it

Old 10-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '91 E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbryso View Post
Sorry also getting a light white smoke when I put my foot to it I just spent 17k on the car and now have to drop another 4k on everything else. Any advice ?
Those are all common issues with 335i. Injectors go bad often, fuel pump goes bad often, turbo seals leaking...

You wanted a BMW that someone else abused, put intercooler on it and what not. You get what you pay for. All dealers lie, their techs are 18 year old UTI students.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Bought a 2007 335i from a very reputable large dealerahip less then a month ago. They told me that the car was in perfect condition even showed me where they did a 150 point inspection and that there was no oil or transmission fluid was leaking, the water pump had been replaced, both front and rear pads and rotors were replaced. Showed me the car fax that stated the car was a cpo car from bmw 2 years ago and all I had to do was call bmw to have it transfered to my name. So here we are not even 4 weeks later and I start my car this morning and the half yellow engine light pops on . I have no power what so ever and it feels like my turbos are not responding at all. So take it to the bmw dealership to have it diagnosed and low and behold all of my plugs need to be replaced but even better that all of my fuel injectors are bad and I am leaking oil from my oil cover gasket. And to top it all off that my bmw was never a cpo car and I couldnt get any warranty now because the car was already modded with a chip, new software and a after market intercooler. I called the dealership back and spoke to the general manager and he told me that he would look into it but his techs are world class trained and that the oil leak isnt a leak at all that its just "seepage" so I just spent 17k on the car and now have to drop another 4k on everything else. Any advice ?

I'll guess none of the claims were in writing. So, you broke the first ethic of smart consumerism: Trust, but verify. A smart guy once said that.

What now? Start a written record and don't meet with them alone - witnesses killer when the gloves come off. Explain to them that you often travel and must communicate mostly by fax, some email but that's soooo spam filled.

Faxes leave a transmission & receipt record, better than email. eFax is excellent. When the time is ripe, start conversations here, E90POST; N54TECH. Do a YELP! review. You'll find others very sympathetic and the dealer paranoid in direct proportion to thread hit count. Be reasonable in your posts - build a buzz to remember.

Oh and get 2 other opinions on your issues - dealer's likely looking for add'l cash on the sale.

Now then. Sale less than 30 days ago? Are you SURE? Got the docs? There are laws! Contact your BBB for advice, possibly State govt. - I'd start with DMV & Dept. of Justice.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 10-04-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:41 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
What dealer was it?

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 10-05-2013, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Basically you have a high mileage car and mostly common problems, the big issues is that they lied to you about the CPO and owe you the additional warranty if it doesn't have it, it is all hearsay if you don't have it in writing though and not a lot you can do if it is verbal to prove it. Most states require a dealer to warranty a used car for a period of time - usually the minimum is 30 days, so if that is the case, the dealer you purchased from woud be required to fix the issue.

As for your actual problem, the car needs plugs at that mileage if it has never had them. Injectors are commonly a problem on BMWs in general and the 335i had a recall for certain injectors and then they replaced them with a newer part - the newer part is required to be installed in full banks, so first 3 have to be replaced together and second group of 3 have to be replaced together. If you have say injectors 2 and 4 go - all 6 need to be replaced, if 1 and 2 go, then just technically the first 3 need to be replaced.

Valve cover gasket oil leaks are also normal around that mileage, cracked valve covers are also a source of a leak and happen some times. I would certainly try to get the dealer to pay for it all and see where you get, but if you are out of any sort of warranty period, unfortunately it is pretty normal stuff to have to fix.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Also due for Walnut Blast if it hasn't had one.

Also due for Walnut Blast if it hasn't had one.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:26 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Car has 85k miles on it and in all honesty I am completely fine changing my plugs as I know that is just normal wear and tear but as for the " seepage " I even asked the tech about it and they stated that it was alot more then just seepage. And the way it was explained to me about the injectors is 2 are bad ( even showed me the black spark plugs) and because they were the old injectors with the outdated software that replacing only those 2 might cause issues as well so it was their recommendations I replace all of them

Seepage needs more explanation and may be controversial. I sold my E46 M3 at about 85K miles with "seepage" around the various gaskets, seals...but it WASN'T leaking any fluids. I had it checked out during time of sale by a reputable BMW indy shop.

It wasn't leaving any "droppings" on the garage floor.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 10-05-2013, 07:51 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
"Those are all common issues with 335i. Injectors go bad often, fuel pump goes bad often, turbo seals leaking... "

If they all did that BMW would be out of business in a heart beat.

I had my first code this week but for an ABS issue and my 335 is a 3/2007 manufacture date.

It is true if you have some tuning software, aftermarket FMIC, etc you can assume the previous owner ran the hell out of it and you are paying for what is likely to be insufficient maintenance.

As mentioned weaping or seaping oil leaks I never bother with unless I am taking something else off that allows that component to be changed. If it isn't hitting the floor it isn't leaking bad enough to mess with. You mentioned you can change the plugs yourself well it is a reasonable DIY and also the injectors. Only some later model 2007 and early 2008 had issues there.

Once you get these things sorted out you should be fine...