Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-05-2013, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive28i
Performance Control on non M-sport models?

Hey, question for you X3 folks:

Over in E84 land we've been batting around the idea of having the performance control programming of the M-Sport models applied to other line X's. Someone mentioned that the X3 had the same option available to it (wherein the M-sport gets an 20/80 F/R power split under some arcane set of conditions, versus the regular 40/60 split).

So my question is: Anyone know if it is possible to get it in non-M lines? Whether it be via programming or replacing a module, I'm just curious if it is possible.
Ads by Google
Old 10-12-2013, 07:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Theoretically the module(s) would just need to be recoded, probably DXC, ABS, 4X4 maybe transmission, I doubt highly if there is any technical difference. It would be similar to the coding the E9x do for the Alpina trans flash. Unfortunately no one that I know of has figured out how to flash F series BMW's at home yet, but once figured out it would be a matter of reading what the software level is on the modules in an M-sport and non msport and see which ones vary.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
For the record, the M Sport package is not the only way to get Performance Control for the X3 — it is also included in the Dynamic Handling package.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:57 AM

Mein Auto: X3 35i
Yes, I must say. From what I have read the M-Sport Package is merely an appearance group. I see on here all too often that people are thinking they are getting a souped up version of the X with the M-Sport package. Yes it will default in the Dynamic Handling, but you can add the DHP without the M-Sport.
2014 x3 35i - Bronze Metallic - Mojave Leather - Fineline Wave Trim - Cold Weather Pkg - Drivers Assistance Pkg w/ Top View Camera - Dynamic Handling Pkg - Premium Pkg - Technology Pkg - 309 Style Rims - X-Line Trim Pkg - Aluminum Roof Rails - Window Shades - Auto High Beams - Premium Sound.

2013 Ram 3500 - Laramie Limited Mega Cab w/ Cummins Diesel and Aisin Transmision
Old 10-15-2013, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
I have a 2013 X3 loaner right now and it does not have the M Sport package but it does have Dynamic handling.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive28i
RhoXS, I see your profile mentions an X3 - does this one drive any differently than your other X? (assuming the other doesn't have DHP)

Last edited by Yggdrasil; 10-15-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
RhoXS, I see your profile mentions an X3 - does this one drive any differently than your other X? (assuming the other doesn't have DHP)
My 2011 X3 does not have Dynamic handling. I purchased it as a low mileage CPO a few months ago. The rocket scientist that originally purchased it spent a lot of money on things like an upgraded stereo system but impoprtant options like a rear view camera (especially), dynamic handling, comfort entry were ignored.

I have a 2013 28 X3 loaner I received last night and will probably return it later today so I have not had a lot of oppurtunity to drive it. My following opinion could easily change if I had an oppurtunity to drive it more.

After driving away from the dealer last night I quickly put it into Sport mode and left it there. My initial impression is that the ride is a bit harder and a little harsher than my X3 but certainly nothing dramatic as my non-Dynamic Handling X3 is pleasantly tight. Interestingly, my 2011 is equipped with the M Sport package and that includes sport seats and the big wonderfully fat leather steering wheel. Although handling and ride is certainly important to me, I much more prefer the huge difference in the feel of the steering wheel and how much more supportive and comfortable the sport seats are than the minimal difference in handling and ride.

The loaner has ASS and think it sucks. No good practical reason why I dislike it so much because it is indeed very responsive. I just do not like and don't want the engine stalling every time I stop. Since I do not believe it can possibly save anything consequential in fuel, I just dont like it and wouldnt want on on any car I own.

Last edited by RhoXS; 10-15-2013 at 08:57 AM.