Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-05-2013, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325xi
Brake lights malfunction- won't turn off

2002 325xi
Generally my girl runs great. I have had her almost ten years and don't want to give her up! But this problem actually scares me.When I turn the car off and remove my key all of the dashboard warning lights come on and the brake lights go on. It works fine when I am driving it, this problem is only when it is off. I had to disconnect the battery because the back brake lights were getting really hot and I didn't want to start an electrical fire in my garage.
Thoughts on these Gremlins?
Thank you kindly

Last edited by shannys325xi02; 10-05-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2013, 11:24 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannys325xi02 View Post
2002 325xi
Generally my girl runs great. I have had her almost ten years and don't want to give her up! But this problem actually scares me.When I turn the car off and remove my key all of the dashboard warning lights come on and the brake lights go on. It works fine when I am driving it, this problem is only when it is off. I had to disconnect the battery because the back brake lights were getting really hot and I didn't want to start an electrical fire in my garage.
Thoughts on these Gremlins?
Thank you kindly
Read all the Sticky Threads at the top of the Forum page....especially the E46 Wiki !

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 10-06-2013, 06:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Read all the Sticky Threads at the top of the Forum page....especially the E46 Wiki !
This ^. You'll find a couple good stickies about the brake light wiring issue for which there was a recall and is also a very easy fix, and one about the trunk lid wiring pass fraying and causing all sorts of shorts. The wiki has a section on electrical too. See where you can get with it and then come back if you have more questions.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 10-06-2013, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 325xi
Re: Brake lights malfunction- won't turn off

I read through all of the electrical section off the Wiki. Nothing seemed to address this issue. This is different than the corrosion causing the recall issue, I already took care of that. Literally all of the warning lights on the dashboard (picture) and the back brake lights come on when I turn the car off, key out of the ignition.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1381072955002.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	400750  
Old 10-06-2013, 08:59 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannys325xi02 View Post
I read through all of the electrical section off the Wiki. Nothing seemed to address this issue. This is different than the corrosion causing the recall issue, I already took care of that. Literally all of the warning lights on the dashboard (picture) and the back brake lights come on when I turn the car off, key out of the ignition.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app
You`re kidding, right ???

S.T.I.C.K.Y THREAD PSA: Check Your Trunk Wire Harness

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....