Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-06-2013, 01:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i coupe 6 speed
Angry Problem at BMW dealer they ruined my coral red leather!!!!!!

I start off let me tell you guys what kind of car I have it's a 2011 335i coupe alpine white with the coral red leather 6 speed m/t m sport...I love it it took me 3 months to find the car so I've had it for a month now and I love it! So when I purchased it it was a little dirty so the sales guy promised me a detail and not to worry that the guys there know what they are doing blah blah blah...so for once I trusted them (BIG MISTAKE) I took it in on Tuesday 10/1 to get an inspection check done and also get the car detailed...they said it would be done the next day...so the following day comes and goes I end up getting a call to get it on Friday 10/4...Im angry and happy all at the same time why did it take so long I missed my car!! So I get to the dealer and walk up to my car and off the bat I see it's dusty and I start to see a glare of light shinning off the leather and dash...I walked up an looked inside and saw that these professional detailers sprayed my whole interior with armor all and had the dash, wood grain, radio AND MY BEAUTIFUL CORAL RED LEATHER ALL SHINY GREASY JUST LOOKED HORRIBLE!!! To make it all worst I saw a scratch on the driver side seat I was so pissed off!!! That wonderful BMW leather smell GONE my love for my car not the same you guys might think I'm being dramatic but I worked hard for this car and searched hard for it worked hard to get this car... They told me they will clean it all up..but the smell will probable not return and also once leather is scratched there is no way to fix it but they told me that they will fix if and I won't be able to even see that it was scratched...

My question to everyone that could feel my pain on this matter is what would you do?? I told the service advisor (he's a dick btw) that if I can see the scratch then I will not be happy and there will be a problem I will want them to replace the leather and then the car would be two toned

Please help!! I will greatly appreciate any advice regarding this... If your local BMW dealer did this to you what would you do???
Ads by Google
Old 10-06-2013, 02:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0...2009 328i
Hello Razik, I really feel for you on this...What I would do right now? Try not to communicate with them in any way in the emotional mindset that you are in right now, otherwise, you very well may do something that will hurt your chances of being made whole on this. I have made my biggest mistakes under the situation that you are currently in. For starters, begin documenting EVERYTHING concerning this, start a log and go back to square #1, writing your account of the situation. This will help you build a case against these jokers. I am sure you are already searching the web for guidance on this...good luck

**Also, I would not let them fix this, have them cease working on the car, I would demand an inspection/appraisal from a neutral third party.

Last edited by CALLAWAY845; 10-06-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
I know how you feel, every time I take my BMW to Hendrick in Charlotte they chip the paint
Old 10-06-2013, 05:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razik1 View Post
I start off let me tell you guys what kind of car I have it's a 2011 335i coupe alpine white with the coral red leather 6 speed m/t m sport...I love it it took me 3 months to find the car so I've had it for a month now and I love it! So when I purchased it it was a little dirty so the sales guy promised me a detail and not to worry that the guys there know what they are doing blah blah blah...so for once I trusted them (BIG MISTAKE) I took it in on Tuesday 10/1 to get an inspection check done and also get the car detailed...they said it would be done the next day...so the following day comes and goes I end up getting a call to get it on Friday 10/4...Im angry and happy all at the same time why did it take so long I missed my car!! So I get to the dealer and walk up to my car and off the bat I see it's dusty and I start to see a glare of light shinning off the leather and dash...I walked up an looked inside and saw that these professional detailers sprayed my whole interior with armor all and had the dash, wood grain, radio AND MY BEAUTIFUL CORAL RED LEATHER ALL SHINY GREASY JUST LOOKED HORRIBLE!!! To make it all worst I saw a scratch on the driver side seat I was so pissed off!!! That wonderful BMW leather smell GONE my love for my car not the same you guys might think I'm being dramatic but I worked hard for this car and searched hard for it worked hard to get this car... They told me they will clean it all up..but the smell will probable not return and also once leather is scratched there is no way to fix it but they told me that they will fix if and I won't be able to even see that it was scratched...

My question to everyone that could feel my pain on this matter is what would you do?? I told the service advisor (he's a dick btw) that if I can see the scratch then I will not be happy and there will be a problem I will want them to replace the leather and then the car would be two toned

Please help!! I will greatly appreciate any advice regarding this... If your local BMW dealer did this to you what would you do???
Sorry to hear about the situation. I could never understand people's desire to wipe down the interior of a vehicle with Armor All. I agree with CALLAWAY845 in you need to calm down before discussing a resolution with the dealer.

You need to decide on an appropriate form of resolution. I doubt you'll receive any form of consideration for the Armor All. Losing the leather smell is unlikely to be viewed as damage. I also feel anything other than a repair of the scratch is going to very difficult to obtain. Can you post a picture of the damage?
Old 10-06-2013, 06:16 AM
Speed's mentor...

Mein Auto: 650i, 2010
This is unfortunate and although your leather may never look like it did the day it was driven off the lot, the important (and best) thing is, that the more you use leather, the better it is. I'm not aware of any leather care product that doesn't affect the appearance once it is applied. The good side of this is that now that leather is capable of giving you more years of service without becoming dried out. So, to summarize...
1) Take a couple of deep breaths, maybe enjoy a beer.
2) Appreciate that even though it didn't turn out exactly the way you wanted it, it's still a fantastic automobile.
3) In 10K miles, you'll never even think about it.
4) Most importantly! ON ANY SERVICE (car or otherwise) SPARE NO TIME ON CONFIRMING WHAT YOUR EXPECTATION IS WITH THE END RESULT, WITH THE PERSON DOING THE WORK. The value of what is being worked on should be in line with the amount of detail you provide of what you want. Nobody is going to take care of it the way you do. I always walk the Service technician around my vehicle and ask them to inspect for ANY damage and then respectfully explain that I expect it to be the exact same way when it's returned to me.

I hope this didn't sound condescending, it wasn't meant to. I'm sure you're disappointed.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i
Problem at BMW dealer they ruined my coral red leather!!!!!!

When you check into it, your leather is coated, not natural. This means:
1) Armorall won't hurt it
2) It can be leaned up/removed with a mild detergent solution.

Wait until you've calmed down, then go back to the dealer and ask them to repair the scratch. They have contractors who refurbish most/all of their used cars. You'll never see the repair when they're done.

Then finally, never ever ever go to the dealer for detailing! Any detail taking less than a day is just wiping glop all over your car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-06-2013, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
When you check into it, your leather is coated, not natural. This means:
1) Armorall won't hurt it
2) It can be leaned up/removed with a mild detergent solution.

Wait until you've calmed down, then go back to the dealer and ask them to repair the scratch. They have contractors who refurbish most/all of their used cars. You'll never see the repair when they're done.

Then finally, never ever ever go to the dealer for detailing! Any detail taking less than a day is just wiping glop all over your car.

+1 this is the best advice you can get on this issue. N4S
Old 10-06-2013, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
Talk about a 1st World Problem! No leather is perfect anyway, it's from a cow. Get over it, unless the scratch is a utility knife cut, it will buff out. That's the beauty of leather. Three kids & a dogs later, my seats have experienced it all & after 5 1/2 years still look brand-new. Albeit, never graced by Armour-All, but luckily even that will wear off.
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 10-06-2013, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 328i LCI
They didn't "ruin" your leather, they made it dirty. And they said they will clean it. Come on now. And the leather "smell" disappeared a while ago, since you have a 2011. You were probably smelling the leather conditioner that was used by the previous owner.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:45 AM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
I concur your leather is NOT ruined and you are way over reacting. You have been given good advice to calm down and contact the "SERVICE MANAGER" about the situation and request that they remove the product applied with a soft damp only cloth. It is understandable why many of us do our own work when it costs 125 bucks an hour to screw something up.

Your attitude when returning dictates how much success you will get with the dealership. Remember each dealership is an independent operation and they are as different as day or not...
Old 10-06-2013, 12:58 PM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
i dont trust any dealer with car washes or detailing, i make sure to state this before any work is done
Old 10-06-2013, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
I always request not wash or clean (and my car always goes in so clean they would have to be nuts to even think about cleaning it!).

Zaino Z-10 Leather in a Bottle will put back the smell just like the day you bought the car www.zainostore.com and Z-9 cleaner will get the armor all off before you put the Z-10 on.

As for the scratch, talk it out with them and maybe you can get it dealt with - there is a chance it was even there and the armor all is just making it noticeable now, there are also lots of companies that make matching dyes you can just touch up the area and make it not noticeable.

Rob
Old 10-06-2013, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Coupe
I've been using a homebrew mix of water/woolite (10 water : 1 woolite) to clean the leather on my vehicles for more than 10 years. It woks like a charm. Go to any detailing forum and search on woolite. Check this link.

10:1 works well for removing dirt and stains, from cleats, turf, hockey tape, etc. (raised kids the played ice hockey, lacrosse, and soccer.) For regular maintenance use a 20:1 mixture.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:42 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
What they^ said. Though I think it was on my last visit where my car was extremely clean, I had asked for no wash and it was marked on the service order, and I used a red grease pencil in huge lettering right on the windshield, driver's side, basically saying no wash.... and they still washed it. Anyway.

To what Rob has said, Leatherique is one of those companies that can make a matching dye for you, but it may require that you snip a piece of leather somewhere to send so they can bang on perfectly match it.

http://www.leatherique.com/bmw-redye-project.html

I've not used Zaino anything, but their leather product is known to have a great smell, it is the most commonly recommended product for good smelling leather.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Zaino Z-10 Leather in a Bottle will put back the smell just like the day you bought the car www.zainostore.com and Z-9 cleaner will get the armor all off before you put the Z-10 on.

As for the scratch, talk it out with them and maybe you can get it dealt with - there is a chance it was even there and the armor all is just making it noticeable now, there are also lots of companies that make matching dyes you can just touch up the area and make it not noticeable.

Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by grijo View Post
I've been using a homebrew mix of water/woolite (10 water : 1 woolite) to clean the leather on my vehicles for more than 10 years. It woks like a charm. Go to any detailing forum and search on woolite. Check this link.

10:1 works well for removing dirt and stains, from cleats, turf, hockey tape, etc. (raised kids the played ice hockey, lacrosse, and soccer.) For regular maintenance use a 20:1 mixture.
I understand the desire for the dealership to deliver a 'clean' vehicle, but I'm 100% on board with not letting them wash, or even think about detailing my car.

I, too am a big fan of both the water/woolite (+ a splash of ipa) method of cleaning leather and I absolutely swear by Zaino Leather in a Bottle. Just last week, as I was opening my top, a friend stuck her head into the car and was just incredulous that at 4 years old it still smells "brand new". She asked, "how do you do that?"

OP:
If I were you, I'd clean the leather myself rather than risk them making even a bigger mess of things, then calmly discuss with them compensation for the scratch. I don't know about your dealership in California, but here in Texas, the crew who wash and detail the cars are not exactly the most skilled help at the dealership.

No matter what, be calm and professional with the SA and good luck with this, it's not irreversible.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 10-06-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
I, too am a big fan of both the water/woolite (+ a splash of ipa) method of cleaning leather.
What is "ipa"?
Old 10-06-2013, 03:12 PM
wooohooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by grijo View Post
What is "ipa"?
Commonly used acronym in the detailing world for isopropyl alcohol.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:20 PM

I want to thank everyone for there comments and suggestions...This is just a really frustrating situation.. As of right now BMW told me they will take care of it all and I hope they really do I want to walk in tomorrow and hope that it's all done and back to normal...but I doubt it...like I said once leather is scratched it's scratched if I did it then that's fine but I didn't do it and I'm looking at the long run...in a year or 2 of me sitting in And out of this car what's going to happen to that scratch it's going to obviously get worse and worse...I know they are going to touch it up but that's not going to help 150-200lbs sitting on that seat for hrs on a day everyday will effect it...

Old 10-06-2013, 04:04 PM

Real leather wears gratefully. In 2-3 years that scratch will be another wrinkle mark. You should see all the wrinkles in my 89 300SE or my wife's 05 GX470. Hope everything works out.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:30 PM

I want to thank "Ilovemycar" I just ordered the zaino product z-9 z-10 and I hope they work out great...will find out in a few days how everything turns out...I will try my best to stay calm when I deal with BMW guys but I think it's going to be hard to especially since they tend to ignore most of what your saying to them and love to say don't worry don't worry we will take care of it

Old 10-06-2013, 04:47 PM
wooohooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razik1 View Post
I want to thank "Ilovemycar" I just ordered the zaino product z-9 z-10 and I hope they work out great...will find out in a few days how everything turns out...I will try my best to stay calm when I deal with BMW guys but I think it's going to be hard to especially since they tend to ignore most of what your saying to them and love to say don't worry don't worry we will take care of it
I was only piling on to what Rob had already advised, and if Nordic Kat says it's awesome, then it is awesome. But sure, I'll take the credit!

Speaking of Kat, I have to agree with not letting them do it. Every "detail department" will be different at each dealership, but more often than not, they are using low level products by persons who are relatively uneducated about detailing. I would do it myself, though I guess that's relatively easy for me to say.

Hm, assuming CA is for Canada... I am not having luck finding a good pro for you yet. In the meanwhile, if you need to pick up detailing products, this is the store for you...

http://www.eshine.ca/
Old 10-06-2013, 05:45 PM

I'm sorry everyone that suggested z10 thank you!!! It's ordered and on the way so well see

Old 10-06-2013, 06:07 PM

I'm sorry...everyone that suggested z10 thank you!!! It's ordered and on the way so well see

Old 10-06-2013, 06:26 PM

Nordic_kat and rob thank you for your suggestions I really hope it works out

Old 10-06-2013, 06:29 PM

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1381109317.533388.jpg
Views:	881
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	400812

Here's a photo of the scratch it doesn't look as bad as if does in person...