Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-06-2013, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 328i
New 328i Owner

Hey all. I recently bought a 2010 328i (2 days ago actually) and I just wanted to stop by and find the BMW forums.

I reluctantly never wanted to be a "beamer bum" but I am loving my car already. I got rid of my truck for this car to help with gas mileage and it is plenty big enough for my daughter as well. I plan on having this as my daily driver but am looking to do some basic mods and performance upgrades to get some more out of it.

Hopefully I can find everything I am looking for and hope to get help whenever I might need it.

2010 328i Sedan - Space Gray
Black interior
Stock for now.

Any suggestions on what to upgrade first?
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2013, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i xdrive Coupe
Fairly new 328i owner here as well. From what I've read not much you can do for the NA engine. Go for a performance exhaust maybe, also some suspension mods out there too. Or just do what I do...put it in DS mode and have your fun there. Welcome to the boards!
Old 10-07-2013, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the input. I probably won't do much performance wise, unless I get another daily and this eventually becomes my project. I can see doing the standard, exhaust, tuner, intake, etc setup. I also am looking at a front lip and some wheels to get rid of the stock ones.

First mod was today as I got the windows tinted, couldn't take riding in a fish bowl any longer.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0...2009 328i
Hello Gymtansmush. Well done on the new car, I absolutely love my 328i. The first thing I would do (and I did do) is to upgrade the steering wheel. Go to getbmwparts.com and look at some of their M perforated steering wheels. In fact, I will attach the one that I went with to this post. I think people overlook this easy mod, it is one of only very few things that you touch everytime you drive the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steering wheel.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	401009  
Old 10-08-2013, 05:50 AM

Thanks for the reply. That steering wheel looks just like the one I have already. Thanks for the site as well. I am looking to close on some wheels (probably VMR 710s) by the end of the year. I would like to find a wheel and tire package if possible.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:37 AM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
New 328i Owner

I'm just telling you now so you don't get your hopes up, the 328i won't ever be a good project for you.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 10-08-2013, 11:33 AM

New 328i Owner

Yeah I know. I bought I needed a daily driver that was good on mpg ( better than a truck) but also had some class. Typical mods will do for me with this car

Old 10-08-2013, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymtansmush View Post
Hey all. I recently bought a 2010 328i (2 days ago actually) and I just wanted to stop by and find the BMW forums.

I reluctantly never wanted to be a "beamer bum" but I am loving my car already. I got rid of my truck for this car to help with gas mileage and it is plenty big enough for my daughter as well. I plan on having this as my daily driver but am looking to do some basic mods and performance upgrades to get some more out of it.

Hopefully I can find everything I am looking for and hope to get help whenever I might need it.

2010 328i Sedan - Space Gray
Black interior
Stock for now.

Congratulations on your new purchase...many pleasant driving miles ahead and welcome to the forum!
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 10-08-2013, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

No power mod short of a supercharger will do much. Put that to one side.

Suspension & differential can be massively upgraded. Do you want to put $ into it?

But, first things first. If you have runflats, ditch 'em for regular tires. Also, unless you're in a warm place in LA, summer tires don't like <50°F. Personally, I don't like 'em <60°F.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:06 PM

New 328i Owner

I don't think I'll ever get that far into upgrading unless I get another daily for work and other family stuff.

I'll probably sink the normal amount of money, exhaust, intake, tuner, rims, suspension, front lip...those are all mods I am looking at for now.

I know those are the basics of it all, but I gotta start somewhere

Old 10-08-2013, 08:39 PM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
New 328i Owner

Quote:
I don't think I'll ever get that far into upgrading unless I get another daily for work and other family stuff.

I'll probably sink the normal amount of money, exhaust, intake, tuner, rims, suspension, front lip...those are all mods I am looking at for now.

It's good that you are thinking realistically. (Besides, you have more than enough power for daily driving.)

I would say BMW performance exhaust, whatever intake, M3 performance wheels, and a nice carbon fiber lip spoiler.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

Stock suspension's OK....would you rather your suspension's limits exceeded yours?
Old 10-09-2013, 03:14 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
It may be one of the slowest BMW's sold in 2010, but it's still quicker than 90% of the other cars (and trucks, and SUVs) on the road.

Performance go-flat tires are probably the easiest and most effective modification.

Euro-parts don't make the car any faster but can make the car more user-friendly. They used to be available right out of the BMW USA parts system but the company stopped that a few years ago, so it's now a little more of a challenge.
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 10-09-2013, 03:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
My suggestion it to purchase a service manual for the car, lots of good information in the book and if you start working on your car you will need the information, I can tell you that BMW's are not as easy or frendly to work on, some of the bolts are not reusable, their are certain ways to do things and in specific order and torquing bolts is very critical, Not like the old days where you just wrench down on the bolts and you are done.

and maybe buy you a code reader too, Cal can post the link to burger motor sports for a good one, (I purchase one and should be here on Friday) when you get a service light it takes a code reader to determine where the fault is so you dont chase your tail around the car trying to figure out what is wrong
Old 10-09-2013, 05:49 AM

New 328i Owner

When I say suspension, what I am thinking for now is just lowering springs for a better look, or possibly coilovers.

When I bought it I wasn't going for speed for sure, but it's still fun to drive and hugs the road pretty good, and again mpg is loads better than what I had.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
how much lower do you want to go? My 335 already has bottomed out on a speed bump, went over it a little too fast.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:11 AM

New 328i Owner

It wouldn't be much lower honestly, but something to go with my new wheels when I get them. I wanna keep the ride nice and smooth, so I'll be looking at all options for suspension upgrades