Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 328i
2010 328i climate control issues

We purchased a CPO 2010 328i in March of this year on a warm day. The a/c worked great. 2 days later it got into the 30's, the heat on the driver's side wouldn't blow warm air AT ALL. The passenger side worked fine. Took it to the dealer. They fixed it, something about a controller. Said they had to remove the entire dash to repair. Ok? Covered under warranty. It stayed cool for a few weeks, so we didn't need the a/c. Summer gets here and we notice the driver's side will not cool down. Again the passenger side is working great, blowing cold air. Took it to the dealer. They told my wife that the driver's and passenger side climate control systems are separate, two completely different systems. Said the driver's side needed refrigerant. Is this correct? Repair covered under warranty. This morning it's 45 degrees outside, my wife froze all the way to work(45mins.). The driver's side isn't blowing any hot air, and she said the passenger side will blow hot air intermittently. The dealer can't get to it until the 16th. I've read up on this topic on your forum and haven't seen anyone else with our issues? I usually do all my own mechanic work. I'm new to BMW's, so I'm at the mercy of the dealership until I learn about the BMW's. PLEASE, is there something we should know? Thanks for reading, Ed. Sorry for the long post.
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
So the issue is the vents don't blow air consistently?

Check the the AC blower motor. If there is evidence of rust, you have the infamous cowl leak.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 10-07-2013, 05:02 PM

It blows lots of air and always has. You can't adjust it from hot to cold, or cold to hot. At first just the driver's side had this problem and the passenger side worked perfectly. This is the 3rd issue with the hvac system. We had to take it to the dealer for it to make heat. Then we had to take it to dealer to get the drivers side a/c to blow cold air. Is it true what the dealer said about the driver's and passenger side being 2 separate systems? And now that we need heat, neither side will make "heat", only the passenger side will intermittently(very little).
Old 10-07-2013, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i Sports Wagon
Although it may have nothing to do with your problem, it's worth checking. What do you have the hot/cold disk set to? This is an adjustment nob in the center console. It will override the temp setting. I could never get my 335 to heat up. Then one day I realized the adjustment knob was set to cold. I set it midway, and now it blows hot or cold the way I expect it to.

2010 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (April 2009): Deep Sea Blue / Cream Beige / Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages
2011 335i xDrive Coupe (April 2011, European Delivery): Le Mans Blue / Oyster-Black / M Sport, Premium, Convenience Packages
Old 10-08-2013, 07:17 AM

I don't know what the knob is set to. It's my wife's car. I'll check it this evening. She said this morning that it will not blow air now on the heat setting. Someone mentioned a cowl leak? I drove it this past weekend in the pouring rain, and I'm pretty sure the heat was working then. So, what to check for the cowl leak? And, if that leaks, does it affect anything electronic?
Old 10-13-2013, 02:47 PM

Ok, so it stopped blowing air entirely last week. I just took the cover off and there is rust on the blower motor. And, the cowl doesn't seem to be fitting properly. I can see space between the cowl and windshield. It's barely visible, but definitely not water proof. Is there a TSB for this? Will the dealer cover the cost of this? BTW, all this occurred a day after we were out in a pouring rain storm. fdriller9, looks like you hit the nail on the head.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:08 AM

Ok, so the service advisor called my wife and told her we needed a heater core replacement. How does that affect the blower motor? I called him and told him that the heater core shouldn't affect the operation of the blower motor. He stated that they could not duplicate the problem. He said it (heater core restrictions) happens all of the time. I asked if they opened the cover and saw rust on the blower motor as I did. He said he has his "lead" tech on it and trusted him to know what it needed. He did not answer my question. I feel we are getting screwed. It's going to happen again. I checked the loaner car and the cowl fits so much tighter to the windshield than our does. Any advise?
Old 10-21-2013, 09:14 AM

BTW. We set the knob to the center before we took it in for service and it seemed to work ok. But it did not work as good as the loaner car's heating system does.

Last edited by ednrobse90; 10-21-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ednrobse90 View Post
Ok, so it stopped blowing air entirely last week. I just took the cover off and there is rust on the blower motor. And, the cowl doesn't seem to be fitting properly. I can see space between the cowl and windshield. It's barely visible, but definitely not water proof. Is there a TSB for this? Will the dealer cover the cost of this? BTW, all this occurred a day after we were out in a pouring rain storm. fdriller9, looks like you hit the nail on the head.
Yes! There is a TSB that has been released for this issue.

Other common symptoms include a wet passenger footwell carpet.

The TSB calls for replacement of the cowl. Unfortunately the AC blower motor is not covered but if you get lucky, a dealer may "goodwill" the repair....as was my case. I was in my CPO warranty period and they replaced the motor since it was damaged from the cowl issue.

The heater core should have nothing to do with this issue and is most likely a completely separate issue.

If you are out of warranty, you're better off DIY this repair. It can be quite expensive since a good majority of the dash needs to be removed to access the blower motor.

Btw, my cowl came from the factory with a missing piece (or someone didn't reinstall it at the dealer!!!). The trim that attaches to the bottom of the windshield glass was missing. The cowl clips into this trim and this is how the pressure is created to seal against the glass.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 10-21-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:08 PM

I called the service advisor to tell him there was a TSB for the cowl. He said there was not a TSB for our car. Does anyone have the TSB number? We argued a little. He said he trusts his tech. I am a DIYer but it's under warranty. It is such a PITA dealing with these people. It's so freakin' obvious that the cowl isn't sealing. I worked in both a Dodge, and a Ford stealership service dept. in the late 80's. Both were so dishonest, and I'm sure they haven't changed. I'm thinking seriously about getting an attorney involved. Nothing but problems with the climate control system since the beginning. CPO means absolutely nothing. I'm positive the next time it rains hard it will do this again.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:22 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
You've had all your questions answered except one. If you're still interested, it's the one about the dealer saying you have two completely separate HVAC systems for the driver and passenger. Baloney.
There is only one outside temperature sensor, one sunload sensor, one heater core (makes hot air), one coolant pump, one condenser, one evaporator (makes cold air), and one compressor. There is only one intake plenum, one recirc. plenum, one cabin air filter and one ductworks routing the incoming air through the filter, and then through the evaporator (100% of incoming air goes through the AC evaporator 100% of the time). There is also only one HVAC housing under the dash, and one control module in the dash. What there are two of are the dials for you to select driver/passenger temp's, the sensors which read the driver and passenger cabin area temperatures, and the doors which mix hot/cold air to send it to the driver's and passenger's vents.
Two completely separate systems? Not quite.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:35 PM

Thanks everyone. You all have answered all of my questions. I know what caused the problem. With that said, they replaced the heater core. And the heating system works fine now-according to my wife. But I'm sure the next time it rains hard the blower motor is going to stop again. And thanks DSX, I was pretty sure the SA was lying to my wife about having 2 separate systems. But being new to the BMW brand I wasn't sure. Great forum, I've learned a lot from it.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:49 AM

Mein Auto: e90 318d
Hi ,
I had the same problem with my 2009 318d, the A/C was stopped working after a hard rain and the passenger footwell carpet was wet. The dealer didn't reinstall the windshield for me, so I'm worried about the next rain! Omg! I knew this forum too late….….
For further discussion with the BMW service guys, can I know the VIN of your car please? Just as another example to argue about this common problem…. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: e90 318d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ednrobse90 View Post
Ok, so the service advisor called my wife and told her we needed a heater core replacement. How does that affect the blower motor? I called him and told him that the heater core shouldn't affect the operation of the blower motor. He stated that they could not duplicate the problem. He said it (heater core restrictions) happens all of the time. I asked if they opened the cover and saw rust on the blower motor as I did. He said he has his "lead" tech on it and trusted him to know what it needed. He did not answer my question. I feel we are getting screwed. It's going to happen again. I checked the loaner car and the cowl fits so much tighter to the windshield than our does. Any advise?
I had the same problem with my e90 318d. Every time it rains hard, my passenger footwell carpet gets wet. I opened the cover and found my blower motor rusted...... ednrobse90, your blower motor was also rusted?...... Anybodyelse had the same problem?