Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Live Life

Mein Auto: 325i Sedan
2004 E46 drivetrain issues.

I have an 04 325i. I began to feel a very fast but soft vibration at freeway speeds.. I took my car to Bimmer tuning shop. They serviced read diff.. And found that the transmission crossmember was cracked.. I ordered a new one and rubber tranny mounts.. I did the work myself. Have use of a shop and i have the Bentley service manual for my car..

Now the mounts i got were about 4-5mm thicker than the oem ones i took out.. Didnt think much of it.. Put the car back on the ground and did some test runs.. The original vibration was solved..

But a new one replaced it. Much more violent and a slower feel to it.. And at slow speeds now, not freeway..

I read in the service manual that they are anal about deflection in rear driveline.. Centered side to side, and up and down..

So i ordered stock mounts today.... Proccess of elimination..

But i wanted to ask if anyone has encountered this????????????????????
Will a few mm on tranny mounts make that diff????????

Will rear diff mounts going bad make that shake?
Ads by Google
Old 10-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325xi
How many miles on you Bimmer?
Old 10-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Live Life

It has 138,000
Old 10-07-2013, 05:57 PM

Mine only has 77K, I usually drive a car long enough to get a vibration issue. Just wanted to read what everyone replies.

Motor mounts, trans mount, flex disc.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Live Life

Same here.. I pick a car and stick with it.. I find it cheaper to keep it in running order, than a car payment every month.. Being i am my own mechanic, is the savings........ I am going to look at the flex plate when i once again tear into it.. I noticed the difference in highth in the mount bushings.. But did not think a few 4+mm's would make that big of a change... But of course after the fact. I read into the service manual more in different chapters and it apears as i said they are very anal... Sometimes i think over perfect engineering... I love my 73 chevy 4x4. Clean K&N air filter, new oil and some grease. All she needs
Old 10-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Live Life

I will say this.. I am not sure if or what year they changed it... But in 99-06 3 series they used a forged aluminum cross member. It is known to crack.. Check it. There is not much of it to go around when the crack starts. I am damn lucky i cought it when i did. A few more big bumps and maybe 200 miles and i would of had major issues
Old 10-07-2013, 06:25 PM

I just bought a Lincoln Electric 180 Mig welder, I'm supposed to be able to weld alu. I may have to get a price for the gun. I have a few things that could use some attention.

Thanks for the heads up on that one!

Dave
Old 10-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Live Life

Well i will update after this coming weekend and the change, putting in the correct mounts.. If it solves the problem.. I would have to say.. If you find a cracked one. It has already moved outside of spec, and welding it wont help on that matter.... I bought the new one from Bavauto, came strait from BMW. It was only $48. And it only took me 1 hour to do the swap.. Granted you that was with a car lift.. The only way.. The full exhaust has to be removed from header back. Its a one peice. and some heat shielding has to come off too..
Old 10-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Live Life

And the correct bushings are only $12 a piece
Old 10-07-2013, 06:44 PM

I was referring to the alu crossmember for the welding. Can't fix rubber, only new for that!

Dave
Old 10-07-2013, 06:48 PM

What brand to avoid was always an issue w the W123 Benz, as far as the rubber mounts.

Dave
Old 10-08-2013, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadroneE46 View Post
Now the mounts i got were about 4-5mm thicker than the oem ones i took out.. Didnt think much of it.. Put the car back on the ground and did some test runs.. The original vibration was solved..

But a new one replaced it. Much more violent and a slower feel to it.. And at slow speeds now, not freeway..

But i wanted to ask if anyone has encountered this????????????????????
Will a few mm on tranny mounts make that diff????????
A few months ago there was a thread from a guy who replaced his tranny mounts with M3 mounts, which are apparently a few mm thicker. He started having similar issues with drive train vibration, so he swapped OEM mounts back in and it seemed to solve the problem. I would try that first as it is probably the simplest and most likely solution.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadroneE46 View Post
Well i will update after this coming weekend and the change, putting in the correct mounts.. If it solves the problem.. I would have to say.. If you find a cracked one. It has already moved outside of spec, and welding it wont help on that matter.... I bought the new one from Bavauto, came strait from BMW. It was only $48. And it only took me 1 hour to do the swap.. Granted you that was with a car lift.. The only way.. The full exhaust has to be removed from header back. Its a one peice. and some heat shielding has to come off too..
Did you use M3 mounts?
Old 10-08-2013, 04:41 PM
Live Life

Dave.. I was talking about welding the crossmembber.. Once cracked it sags and changes locationing.. Just buy a new one, its cheap.

And no i did not use M3 mounts.. I bought some aftermarket polyeurathane ones.. Stock bimmer's are in the mail..

Thanks Ofthelost for the post.. That is reassuring to hear a common problem solved by what i was hoping it was... I really dont want to have to tear into flex plate, carrier bearing and rear end mounts.. Not going into winter when construction is dieing out for the year.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:54 PM

I did not know that Mmounts were available in poly, but from your experiece avoid them?

Thanks for expaining,
Dave
Old 10-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Poly, or race mounts, transmit more vibrations. I doubt it has anything to do with a couple mm of size difference.

I helped a friend build a race car and we installed poly engine, transmission, and control arm bushings. It vibrates like a hard tail Harley!

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 10-09-2013, 05:55 AM

good to know dvr!

Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-12-2013, 05:20 AM
Live Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
Poly, or race mounts, transmit more vibrations. I doubt it has anything to do with a couple mm of size difference.

I helped a friend build a race car and we installed poly engine, transmission, and control arm bushings. It vibrates like a hard tail Harley!
I had that thought. But after reading the shop manual and them specifically talking about shimming the cross member to illiminate deflection is any vibration. I kinda ruled that out.. But it makes sense being poly is so much more ridged... Either or, i dont like feeling every road bump or vibration.. Back to oem today and see if all goes bye bye
Old 10-12-2013, 07:36 AM

Please keep us posted, I hate vibration issues!
Old 10-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Live Life

Woohooo

Final update..

Changed rubber tranny mounts back to new oem ones.. Followed all directions in service manual about how and where to make sure drive line is centered up/down and side/to side..

Problem has vanished including the original vibration that led me to this part replacement and issue..

Once again at a stop light, i think the motor is not running because i can not feel a single vibration. Driving at all speeds and any kind of throttle position, not a single vibation or hickup..

There is nothing like oem parts and a service manual.... Not to mention a friend with a shop and a car lift, who takes a case of beer for letting me use the rack..
Old 10-12-2013, 11:54 AM

Sounds like it's good to be you, enjoy it!

Dave