Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
Bluetooth or not

Hello All,

My wife's car is a 2004 325CI that has the TCU for BMW Telemetics, I am trying to determine if it has bluetooth capability. It has the TCU located in the left side of the trunk. I was able to locate the bluetooth antenna located underneath the center console. When I press the R/T button on the steering wheel it says PHONEBOOK EMPTY!. I checked the TCU using NAVCODER, I discovered that the TCU did not have bluetooth activated, so I proceed to reprogramed the TCU. I also, unplugged the TCU for 20 minutes to reset it. After all of these steps I am not able to pair my iPhone. Any ideas? Is the TCU dead?

I have added two photos, one of the TCU and one of what NAVCODER returned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1567.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	400976   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1568.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	400977  
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT
Ads by Google
Old 10-08-2013, 06:54 AM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeday View Post
Hello All,

My wife's car is a 2004 325CI that has the TCU for BMW Telemetics, I am trying to determine if it has bluetooth capability. It has the TCU located in the left side of the trunk. I was able to locate the bluetooth antenna located underneath the center console. When I press the R/T button on the steering wheel it says PHONEBOOK EMPTY!. I checked the TCU using NAVCODER, I discovered that the TCU did not have bluetooth activated, so I proceed to reprogramed the TCU. I also, unplugged the TCU for 20 minutes to reset it. After all of these steps I am not able to pair my iPhone. Any ideas? Is the TCU dead?

I have added two photos, one of the TCU and one of what NAVCODER returned.
What you press the phone button does the radio flash "Activate phone"?

If it doesn't, your car does not have Bluetooth.

Member No. 470379
Old 10-08-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halltristan View Post
What you press the phone button does the radio flash "Activate phone"?

If it doesn't, your car does not have Bluetooth.
It says "Phonebook empty"
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT
Old 10-08-2013, 07:19 AM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Quote:
It says "Phonebook empty"
Did you ever have to pair your phone with the 4 digit pin?
(There should be a white card with your manual with the Bluetooth activation code.)

Member No. 470379
Old 10-08-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Did you ever have to pair your phone with the 4 digit pin?
(There should be a white card with your manual with the Bluetooth activation code.)
I have never paired the phone, that why I think it is strange that it says Phonebook Empty.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: '05 BMW 330i
So what happens when you press the talk button on the steering wheel? I couldn't find my 4 digit pin. so I ended up purchasing PA soft. In the software I found the bluetooth/phone info and it listed the 4 digit code and a pairing button. How convenient. Got my iphone out, punched in the code and hit pair and my phonebook was available in seconds. Now it's getting my family to call me when I'm in the car instead of texting is the issue.
'05 Mazda Tribute s AWD - 99,000 miles
Old 10-08-2013, 06:25 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Quote:
I have never paired the phone, that why I think it is strange that it says Phonebook Empty.
That's new to me. It must be an aftermarket unit. You might try to look up the model number of the trunk unit and go from there.

Member No. 470379
Old 10-09-2013, 05:37 AM
Function over fashion

Mein Auto: 325xiT
If you can't figure that one out but really want bluetooth phone, I can say that my DICE Mediabridge works great, I've had it for over 2 years now and it's fantastic. Still have to use the phone to dial but you can answer and hang up with the steering wheel controls. Also plays music perfectly through bluetooth and displays song title on the screen, then the number of incoming calls if you get one while listening to music. The only drawback is really if you're listenting to the radio or a CD, it doesn't cut in. Anyway just a thought, if you can't get your system working.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:20 AM
Rambling Wreck

Mein Auto: E46
Quote:
Forgive me for asking what may seem like a silly question, but have you tried pairing or re-pairing the phone? A search or a visit to Bimmernav.com's informative pages will turn up the pairing procedure, which involves pressing and holding the pairing button (if installed) or the steering wheel phone call button (the face with sound waves emanating from it) and turning the key to the accessory position while your phone is set to listen for Bluetooth pairing requests. The TCU device ID that pops up on your phone will usually include the last seven digits of the car's VIN. Enter the passkey you pulled using NAVCODER and you should be in business.

If you've tried the above already, never mind.

Last edited by G. P. Burdell; 10-09-2013 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. P. Burdell View Post
Forgive me for asking what may seem like a silly question, but have you tried pairing or re-pairing the phone? A search or a visit to Bimmernav.com's informative pages will turn up the pairing procedure, which involves pressing and holding the pairing button (if installed) or the steering wheel phone call button (the face with sound waves emanating from it) and turning the key to the accessory position while your phone is set to listen for Bluetooth pairing requests. The TCU device ID that pops up on your phone will usually include the last seven digits of the car's VIN. Enter the passkey you pulled using NAVCODER and you should be in business.

If you've tried the above already, never mind.
Yes I have tried pairing the phone by depressing the face button but no such luck. it is like the TCU does not go into the pairing mode at startup.

I found the attached document on the web, my TCU part number is 84116952218. This chart indicates that this part number may not have Bluetooth. I still find it odd that the display on the radio says phone book empty. My only conclusion is one of two things, the TCU is dead or that BMW's definition of phone prewired is that there is a Bluetooth antenna installed and that a TCU with Bluetooth functionality needs installed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW-TCUandULF-PartNumbers-2.pdf (61.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 10-11-2013, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325ci
I have the same thing on my car. I did some research and it seems that there are some models that will work with the system and some that won't. I could be wrong. Maybe this works with the factory wired phone?

here is a discussion on it
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-The-Phonebook

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?p=1550125
Old 10-31-2013, 05:49 PM

Hello everyone,

I have replaced my TCU with the latest model that supports Bluetooth and Voice Control. The problem is that I still can't pair my phone with the new TCU. It show "Activate Phone" on the radio display but it never appears on my iPhone to pair.

I have coded the TCU with Navcoder to active both Bluetooth and Voice. The voice function works because I can access the Voice commands from the steering wheel.

What am i doing wrong?

Jeff
Old 11-30-2013, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 330ci
Where is the Code found in the trunk unit please?

My car was sold without the owners manual.

Quote:
That's new to me. It must be an aftermarket unit. You might try to look up the model number of the trunk unit and go from there.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 M3
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I have replaced my TCU with the latest model that supports Bluetooth and Voice Control. The problem is that I still can't pair my phone with the new TCU. It show "Activate Phone" on the radio display but it never appears on my iPhone to pair.

I have coded the TCU with Navcoder to active both Bluetooth and Voice. The voice function works because I can access the Voice commands from the steering wheel.

What am i doing wrong?

Jeff
I am finding the same thing. Just received a new (reconditioned TCU, XXXX5455). Tried to install in my 2004 M3. It is wired for bluetooth, actually already had a bluetooth antenna in it. Connected everything up and all it says does is flash "activate phone" after hitting the R/T button. From everything I can find on the web this is isn't supposed to happen. It just never pairs up. I have tried the talking head button too. I am trying to pair an iPhone, but it won't pair with my blackberry either.

Any help would be much appreciated.