Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-08-2013, 04:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '12 335i
Anyone with iphone media snap-in adapter?

I was wondering if you still need to unlock the phone manually to activate bmw connected if the phone is left in the cradle. My iphone permanently resides in the armrest (connecyed with the white iphone cable) and it's very annoying to have to open the armrest and unlock the phone manually to start bmw connected every time I get in the car. Mini connected started automatically and I was hoping the snap in adapter would spare me the ritual.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 10-08-2013, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i
If the app is already running and then you plug it in the cradle, the phone doesn't go into the lock mode as long as the car is running. But if you remove the phone from the cradle, even if you leave the app running, the phone won't connect the app IF the phone is locked and placed back in the cradle locked. I suspect that the USB & apple cable respond in the same manner, I just don't deal with the cables.

I wouldn't suggest keeping the iPhone in the cradle all the time anyway, as the charging that is performed while in the cradle, gets the iPhone very hot. There are plenty of other posts on this site that details that problem with the heat in the cradle.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:18 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmehanna View Post
I was wondering if you still need to unlock the phone manually to activate bmw connected if the phone is left in the cradle. My iphone permanently resides in the armrest (connecyed with the white iphone cable) and it's very annoying to have to open the armrest and unlock the phone manually to start bmw connected every time I get in the car. Mini connected started automatically and I was hoping the snap in adapter would spare me the ritual.

With dock you still have to do this.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 10-09-2013, 06:04 AM

Almost - If the BMW connect app is running, and the iPhone was left in the cradle until the phone locked, all you have to do is unlock the iPhone, enter you pass code (if needed) and then the app will connect on its own, because it is already running on the phone. As long as the car is running and power on the cradle, the iPhone never locks. As soon as the car is turned off, and the power is turned off to the cradle, the phone goes to a locked state depending upon how long you have the phone set to stay open in the phone settings.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the replies. Since external antenna doesn't noticeably improve signal, it seems the snap in adapter's sole purpose is plugin, certainly not worth the price.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan 550xi
If your using a 4 or 4s you also get analog video you can play on the center console... However that's not even full screen not sure sure that's worth anything either...

Last edited by bmguy; 10-11-2013 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-09-2013, 05:39 PM

I get full screen from my iPhone 4S with video. Don't know what resolution you are using, but full screen is pretty easy to obtain.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:43 PM

I would love to know how you are doing this... I have tried for almost 2 years with no luck with video from the iphone being full screen. all other video (dvd in dash, changer and. Rear seat). Are full screen screen...

Send me a pm with how you getting full screen iphone video out on the dash screen with iphone 4s

I'm using itunes movies, both hd and sd, what ever res those are, I have tried abouut 30 titles with no luck... I don't want to hijack this thread, but if you are getting full screen start a new thread or pm me please... I'd love to be able to do this
Old 10-09-2013, 06:30 PM

There is not much to tell. My 4S has always displayed full screen. I don't do movies, but all of mine are video podcasts in the following format: SD/low - SD/high - HD. All three formats display full screen. I've always kept my F10 updated with the current version software available from BMW.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:39 PM

Send me a link to a podcast that works for your to try...
I use Hollywood content and none of it is full screen, there are other posts here that say the same,
But if I could see the format that works I would convert the Hollywood stuff to that format...
Old 10-09-2013, 06:44 PM

Anything on Twit.tv. I am a big Leo Laporte fan.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Quote:
...Since external antenna doesn't noticeably improve signal, it seems the snap in adapter's sole purpose is plugin, ...

Everything you'd ever want to know about iPhone integration in the 5 series with a heavy emphasis on iPhone 4 is here ... ad nauseum:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...16826#poststop

The adapter has fans and it lets you hook you phone up to power while still providing a USB port for a beater iPod or whatever. The argument is also made that only using the cord, the phone has to work harder to get reception when it's stuck inside the armrest and between two bodies. This results in a hotter running phone and some reports of excessive battery wear. The adapter connects the sharkfin and while some assert reception isn't improved, it does prevent the overheating and overworking phone/battery. The adapter also protects your phone from sloshing around in the armrest and can be inserted/removed with one hand. As also pointed out on the iPhone 4 you get ipod out.

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 10-10-2013 at 01:12 PM. Reason: fixed URL
Old 10-10-2013, 05:22 AM

Your link was broken. I would kindly say that using the adaptor for over 2-1/2 years, the phone definitely gets hotter in the adaptor. Some have even asserted that it cracked the case because of the heat while in the adaptor. I never gave that a chance, as I never left the phone in the adaptor when I wasn't in the car. I have about a 4-hour drive to one of our branches, and by the time I arrive, the phone is very hot to the touch, which in my opinion is very hard on the battery.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post

Everything you'd ever want to know about iPhone integration in the 5 series with a heavy emphasis on iPhone 4 is here ... ad nauseum:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=629442

The adapter has fans and it lets you hook you phone up to power while still providing a USB port for a beater iPod or whatever. The argument is also made that only using the cord, the phone has to work harder to get reception when it's stuck inside the armrest and between two bodies. This results in a hotter running phone and some reports of excessive battery wear. The adapter connects the sharkfin and while some assert reception isn't improved, it does prevent the overheating and overworking phone/battery. The adapter also protects your phone from sloshing around in the armrest and can be inserted/removed with one hand. As also pointed out on the iPhone 4 you get ipod out.
With all due respect, beside freeing up the USB port, IMHO these are all urban myths. Without going much into cellular operation detail, running at a higher wattage output in the case of poor signal conditions would drain your battery faster but not make your phone run significantly hotter, while being confined from 3 sides provides little room for heat dissipation. On the other hand, since charging is controlled by the phone and not the adapter (which provides constant current), the adapter has no effect on battery charging. To some up, while the adapter may be more convenient to use for some people, it doesn't offer any added functionality besides freeing up the USB port for those who need it and enabling plugin.

Last edited by tmehanna; 10-10-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:40 AM
The Driver

^Agree the benefit is convenience. It's much easier to slam the phone into the dock than have to fumble with a cable. To me that alone is worth it. For me the price is trivial in the context of being a convenience add-on to a $120k car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 10-10-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny184 View Post
Your link was broken. I would kindly say that using the adaptor for over 2-1/2 years, the phone definitely gets hotter in the adaptor. Some have even asserted that it cracked the case because of the heat while in the adaptor. I never gave that a chance, as I never left the phone in the adaptor when I wasn't in the car. I have about a 4-hour drive to one of our branches, and by the time I arrive, the phone is very hot to the touch, which in my opinion is very hard on the battery.
I corrected the broken link. Here it is as well.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...16826#poststop

That heat sounds bad.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
... On the other hand, since charging is controlled by the phone and not the adapter (which provides constant current), the adapter has no effect on battery charging. To some up, while the adapter may be more convenient to use for some people, it doesn't offer any added functionality besides freeing up the USB port for those who need it and enabling plugin.
I said nothing about charging. My iPhone 5s and 3Gs both heat up whenever they are connected to the USB port Lighting or 30 pin respectively. The iPhone Media model the OP asked about has fans. And for the iPhone 4 and 4s the adapter has the additional functionality of providing iPod out.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:23 PM

iPhone 5 cradle available now
Attached Files
File Type: pdf iPhone 5 Adapter Bulletin-1.pdf (195.5 KB, 129 views)
Old 10-13-2013, 12:02 PM

I will try setting auto lock to never and see how that goes
Old 10-13-2013, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
iPhone 5 cradle available now
So what's the difference between the media and the connect version? The connect version is something new, right?

2013 550i MSport - Oyster/Black Dakota Leather/Driver Assistance/Executive Package/Luxury Seating
Old 10-13-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1100 View Post
So what's the difference between the media and the connect version? The connect version is something new, right?
To quote the bulletin "The Connect Snap-in Adapter includes the same as the Media Snap-in Adapter." However, there seems to be a connect version for the 5/5s already available and another music/media in the pipeline, also according to the bulletin. I will assume that either the connect version has some undocumented features or, more likely, "music/media" is a typo and should read music only.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:13 AM
The Driver

Quote:
I am having compatibility issues with the media adapter in my 2014 M5. It connects the phone to the car, but it doesn't work properly. E.g. Can't find most of the music. Not sure why but I think the 2014 may require the connect cradle, while the media cradle works with 2013.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 10-14-2013, 07:00 AM

Re: Anyone with iphone media snap-in adapter?

I assume you have a 4/4s because the music/media for the 5 is not yet available. In this case just make sure you have the right part number as per the bulletin posted earlier in this thread. I have seen a lot of misadvertised part numbers on amazon sold by Authorized BMW dealers

Last edited by tmehanna; 10-14-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550ix M-Sport
Quote:
From how I read the bulletin, the Music version will show cover art from the phone whereas the connect one will only play music and place/receive phone calls.

2013 BMW 550i xDrive
Style: Alpine White [300] | Black Dakota [LCSW] | Anthracite [4CE]
Options: M-Sport [ZMP] | Dynamic Handling [ZDF] | Executive [ZDB] | Driver Assist [ZDA] | Driver Assist Plus [ZDB] | Cold Weather [ZCW] | Sport Auto [2TB]
Mods: MORR VS8.2 + Michelin PSS (20" 255F/285R) | Dinan Stage 2 + Shockware | StopTech BBK | ACS Springs | Black Calipers | Black Grill | White M5 Spoiler | White Reflectors F/R | Black Side Markers | Suntek Ceramic Tint (70%) | Suntek PPF | Coded
Old 10-14-2013, 01:40 PM

Re: Anyone with iphone media snap-in adapter?

Is this the same bulletin we all read?