Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-09-2013, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i
New BMW Owner Looking for Mod Advice

Hi all. I just purchased a 2011 328i coupe.

It has the sports, lighting and premium package. It has 30k miles and is still under factory maintenance and warranty... Since it was certified pre owned the warranty was extended up to 100k miles. I LOVE this vehicle. Went from a buick sedan to this car and I couldnt be happier. I want to make some minor upgrades on the car but nothing that will mess with my warranty. Thinking maybe tint and powder coating the wheels black? Also I know about the little black square on the front bumper. Getting the entire front bumper replaced by bmw right now. Anyways any input or advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW FRONT.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	401207   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW SIDE.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	401208  
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
If you're get tint done, make sure they have experience with E9x.

The dot matrix on the rear windshield has proven to be a pain to deal with when tinting. Shops either paint over the dot matrix to cover it or not tint it at all.

The seal in the doors for the windows have been known to scratch tint. Make sure the shop installs a felt lining on the seal or trims the seal back. I would have the seal trimmed back but be careful who does this. I personally wouldn't/couldn't stand a wavy cut along that seal. Make sure they can make a straight, clean, cut.

Congrats on your new car!

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 10-09-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:01 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
edit: Ignore the tint stuff, it looks you already have some now that I look more closely...

The E92 doesn't have the tint scratching property of the E90, according to my installer. My dot matrix is tinted, it doesn't look great when you lean over the trunk lid to get a perpendicular view of it, but honestly I haven't noticed it in years, and no one has ever mentioned anything about it, however it is a light tint. Some people do black it out entirely with vinyl, but my installer was very much against it, and I even returned for a different reason and mentioned this thought again, he was totally willing, but again talked me out of it.

An easy cosmetic change is to change out the orange side markers for painted or clear ones, I have clear on Space Gray. I added a few things in my trunk, but something that could be handy are Audi/VW grocery bag hooks that are spring loaded, installed in the deck. For the interior, it is not cheap, but there is the Euro split arm rest. I did the "lego" foglight mod, or you can buy it aftermarket replete with foglight icon. For performance, many people get a tune (oh nm, I'm thinking turbo'd), I think tires are the bang for buck, and if I had the money to play with, I would probably beeline straight to suspension. Oh wait.. warranty.. hm I wonder... can't see that hurting anything, but maybe not the LSD...

My personal opinion is powder coating your wheels on that car is a fail. I also personally do not like dark tint, to me the best way I can describe it just kills the overall look for me, for so many cars. No reflectivity, no play of light, no view of nice interior, etc.

Here is my tint, farfield view of dot matrix.

Clear reflector, sorry about bluriness, looks quite different in greater light (more dull).

Last edited by Ilovemycar; 10-09-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:21 PM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT

Black wheels, black roof, black mirror caps, black grilles, and black carbon fiber lip spoiler.

You probably won't do all that, but it will look like the bees knees if you do.

Of course, the best mod you can do is sticky tires.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 10-09-2013, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335is

'11 BMW 335is Coupe | Cobb stage 2 sport | aFe Stage 2 Intake | AR downpipes | ETS 5" intercooler
Old 10-09-2013, 06:26 PM

Re: New BMW Owner Looking for Mod Advice

Thanks for all the comments. I'll be careful with the tint. I don't plan on using just a cheap side of the road place or anything. Also I like the all black idea or maybe even carbon fiber. How do you black out the roof? And what do you mean euro split arm rests? And part of me agrees with your not wanting to take away from the good looks it already has.Thanks again for all the suggestions guys.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-09-2013, 06:39 PM
Omnes rationi moderatum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Welcome to the 'fest PacMan.

The Euro split armrest is a real enhancement to the cockpit of the car, especially if your car is MT, because it makes the elbow rest point for the driver just a little bit more ergonomic.

It was I think the second mod I did after the euro foglight switch and I honestly can't imagine the car without it.

My car is also a 328i so no huge performance enhancements, but if you like the sound of a nice exhaust and have about 1K lying around that is just begging to be spent, the BMW Performance Exhaust is the Kat's Meow! Seriously, it sounds very sweet and does add a few HP. Definitely worth the price of admission.

ps: I've also done the reflector delete with paint colored inserts (not reflectors). With the 2011, you're already are ahead of the game with the LCI upgraded LED angel eyes.

Enjoy your new ride!

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793

Last edited by Nordic_Kat; 10-09-2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: grammar!
Old 10-09-2013, 06:42 PM

Re: New BMW Owner Looking for Mod Advice

Awesome thanks! Yeah I see how the armrest would be a nice little feature. What's the euro foglight switch? Sorry for the noob questions. Also, the one thing I REALLY love (but I figure may be unobtainable for me right now) are the corral red leather seats. Probably too much of a change and would require a ton of money.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Omnes rationi moderatum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2012 View Post
What's the euro foglight switch?
The rear foglights utilize the same set of light bulbs that the "intensive braking" system uses. Therefore the DOT in their concern for the unaware American driver, deemed that we are too stupid to differentiate between the intensive brake signal and having rear foglights. Thus, your car has only the front foglights available. However, the rear foglights can be enabled by either doing the LEGO mod that ILOVEMYCAR referred to or, you can spend about $80 and acquire the actual European light control module that will also provide the backlit icon so when your dash is lit you have both buttons on your light control module, and you will have control of your rear foglights. If you do the rear foglight mod, please be nice to other drivers and don't drive with them enabled 24/7.

Look closely and you can see the difference in the photo below.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 10-09-2013, 07:38 PM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT

You can get roof wrapped in carbon fiber or black 3M wrap at any wrap shop. Since it's just the roof, it won't be too expensive.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:49 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
One of the easiest if not easiest mod was putting in my Pico tray. Yes, it is overpriced for what it is. I'm not sure if you have a similar ashtray... It has a little slot for cards that is unused by me. The pen is nifty in that it swings out and is held by magnetic tip, however I have definitely had better pens in my life. I always insist on having a pen in the vehicle, so it is nice that I don't need to store one in console or glove compartment, etc.

http://www.tecaccessories.com/PicoTray-BMW-3-Series

Seeing as you're new to this forum, if you're like me, it would take you a long time to figure out that those little slots in your center console are for holding coins. I learned about those well after I learned about those removable leaf catchers under the hood, outside extremes, next to windshield. Which I learned about after the glow in the dark emergency pull handle in the trunk for when the mob throws me back there (I already tested it). There is a little tiny slot on the very left when you open your glove compartment, it is meant for a little flashlight. Underneath your manual in the trunk is a hidden tool tray. Be extremely careful about carrying liquids in trunk, sensitive electronics underneath. Your seat belts have a pyrotechnic charge that is triggered by an accelerometer, to instantly tighten during an accident (it may even cause a bit of a burn). Your battery has an explosive charge too. Pressure sensors in your doors for accidents. More to come another day.