Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-09-2013, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: Toyota Prius
335i concerns

Hello all,

I've been reading everything I can on this & other BMW forums about the 2 main problems(HPFP & turbo waste gates). I can't seen to find the frequency of these problems. I've seen figures of anywhere from a couple of % to almost 100%. I'm concerned mainly about the willingness of the dealers to fix the problem under the extended "warranty" for these 2 problems.

I'm considering buying a 2009 335i conv. - 33k miles, sport pkg., prem. pkg., good carfax. But I'm concerned about the above 2 issues. My wife & I both really like the power of the 335 vs. the 328(we've driven both). We're wondering if the additional maintenance is worth it vs. the 328? We thought the 328 had adequate power, but the 335 was awesome. This is to be a 3rd car strictly for pleasure. Our other cars are a 2010 Prius & a 2004 Volvo XC90.

Any comments & suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Looking forward to buying one or the other
Ads by Google
Old 10-09-2013, 09:29 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
The two specific "problems" you mentioned are the two things that are warrantied for the very longest periods of time. Your HPFP (which is totally solved as near as I can tell - and me, I never had a problem, I was even apprehensive of them doing the recall, if it ain't broke don't fix it...) is warrantied IIRC for 10 years or 120k miles. The N54 turbo/wastegates are warrantied for 8 years or 82k miles. So when 2017 rolls around, you can then consider adding an extended warranty, if you deem by that time all of us here have failing wastegates...
Old 10-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlc View Post
I've been reading everything I can on this & other BMW forums about the 2 main problems(HPFP & turbo waste gates). I can't seen to find the frequency of these problems. I've seen figures of anywhere from a couple of % to almost 100%. I'm concerned mainly about the willingness of the dealers to fix the problem under the extended "warranty" for these 2 problems.

I'm considering buying a 2009 335i conv. - 33k miles, sport pkg., prem. pkg., good carfax. But I'm concerned about the above 2 issues. My wife & I both really like the power of the 335 vs. the 328(we've driven both). We're wondering if the additional maintenance is worth it vs. the 328? We thought the 328 had adequate power, but the 335 was awesome. This is to be a 3rd car strictly for pleasure. Our other cars are a 2010 Prius & a 2004 Volvo XC90.

Well, you haven't read enough. Not yet. When you close the gestalt on your first sentance, you will realize HPFP issues were solved some years back, and waste gate issues, eventually happening on every turbo, are not the mainstream problem everyone sees.

Such is life. You'll learn....if you decide on E93 - highly recommended by yours truly - I'll let you in on some very real performance upgrades.

Add'l maint is more than worth your time & trouble if you enjoy turbo power.

I really must warn you: Prius....

....is the anti-Bimmer
Old 10-09-2013, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 E92
IMO the 335i is the perfect 3rd car for a household though I will admit I'm a new owner.

It has had some well documented issues in the past and some that are still ongoing.
If you're ok with maybe having to deal with some issues but in return get a car with a pulse I think it's totally worth it.

Being a 3rd car in the house it's ok if it's down while you turn a few wrenches or deal with a warranty claim, at least to me it's ok.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: Toyota Prius
Thanks for the replies. This is the kind of info. I'm looking for. To quote Calwaterboy ,"waste gate issues, eventually happening on every turbo, are not the mainstream problem everyone sees." I realize that both issues had the extended warranty, but the turbo issue really concerns me if it is almost a sure thing to happen(I'm hoping that it's not). I've not found many references to when(miles) & how common the turbo waste gate problem occurs.

Thanks again for the replies, looking forward to more comments, hopefully buying a 335(or even a 328).

"Prius....
....is the anti-Bimmer" - Nothing wrong with having cars at both ends of the spectrum
Old 10-10-2013, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
335i is worth any problems over the 328, it is just that much better, the power is intoxicating and the ability to add power cheaply is a huge bonus. HPFP's almost never fail these days as all should have the updated model, newer cars have updated wastegates, but are warranted for like 10 years 100k, so not too much of a worry. The convertible top mechanism is worth worrying about much more than any other issues as it can get very expensive if it goes very wrong, the good news is there have been only a few instances when major failures have occurred that I have seen and they are proving to be very reliable!
Old 10-11-2013, 12:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0...2009 328i
I agree 100% with roadkill, the power is intoxicating..which is exactly the reason that I did not get a 335. I had the 335 several times as a loaner while trying to figure out oil sensor issue on x5...and it TOTALLY changed my approach to driving. Taking things a step further and installing some of the mods that CalWaterBoy speaks of; I saw nothing but trouble on the horizon. Conclusion...I like having a drivers license = 328i
Old 10-11-2013, 02:12 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 325i
Coming from a 325i and testing out a 335xi I'd say don't get the 328, it's a third car for the enjoyment of having a nice car like this you need the 335!
Just watch out and don't let the drivers license get taken away!
Old 10-11-2013, 06:27 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Turbos themself don't usually fail unless your beat on them when the oil is cold. The seals in these turbos are like a snap ring with the gap at the top. When the oil is cold (this includes synthetic oil too) it can't drain fast enough and comes out the gap into the area where it will cause damage what typically in the turbo world is called lazy turbo meaning boost is either not reached when commanded or is very slow to build.
Waste gates rattle when cold on some engines which is not a mechanical problem. Usually goes away when warm.

HPFP has been discussed.

There are other maintenance issues like ABS pump and module (my first codes in 6 1/2 years of ownership) as well as some other things that need more attention like the top for just seal conditioning and linkage lubrication.
I think for a 3rd car you will find this to be a lot of fun...
Old 10-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Map 5, 38 degrees! yes!!

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
buy it....drive it....SMILE!

2009 E92 N54 Black Sapphire, Cream Beige Dakota, ZPP, ZSP,2R4,Steptronic, JB4 G5 ISO, DCI
Old 10-12-2013, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBK335i View Post
buy it....drive it....SMILE!
Simple, yet wonderful advice in this case!